Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-14-2020, 01:40 AM   #1

Print quality after dslr scan

Hi all,

I’m planning to scan black and white negatives with a 24mp dslr and an smc Takumar 55mm/1.8 on bellows. I’m wondering about the print quality and I only want to enlarge them in 6x8 inch size.
I’ve a Spotmatic and a 6x7 as well so I’m interested in the outcome of the scan and prints in both formats.
I’ll shoot in raw to achieve the best results.
I do not own a printer so will send them over to a lab.

07-14-2020, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
The basics go like this:
  • Your file resolution will by 24Mpx.
  • Your copy (scan) quality depends on your optical path and the care taken with alignment, focus, lighting, and negative flatness.
  • Ultimately, the quality of the original determines the quality of the copy.
  • Printing is the same as for any other digital capture.
Your biggest challenge will be to fit the full frame of the original to the sensor size on your camera. What camera are you planning to use? A focus rail (or bellows that will function as such) is extremely helpful here.

Steve
07-14-2020, 07:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laci.4400 Quote
Hi all,

I’m planning to scan black and white negatives with a 24mp dslr and an smc Takumar 55mm/1.8 on bellows. I’m wondering about the print quality and I only want to enlarge them in 6x8 inch size.
I’ve a Spotmatic and a 6x7 as well so I’m interested in the outcome of the scan and prints in both formats.
I’ll shoot in raw to achieve the best results.
I do not own a printer so will send them over to a lab.

What size negatives are you planning to scan? You may be hard put to fit a set of bellows between a 55mm Takumar and your camera and retain sufficient coverage to be able to image the whole of a 35mm full-frame negative!
If you're using a Pentax DSLR and have the "kit" DA 18-55mm, the minimum focus may well give you sufficient coverage with a 24mp sensor to not need any further extension. Given that you only want to print to 6x8" a cropped image may be perfectly adequate To print to 6x8" at 300dpi you'll need an 1800x2400 pixel image, a little over 4 megapixels, so plenty of leeway!
07-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For 6x8 prints, this should work fine. As mentioned, focusing is paramount. Another issue might be lighting which has to be even (use an LED source and opal or ground glass separated from the negative a distance to keep dust on the diffuser out of focus and help even out the illumination). You may need to touch up the final results because dust and negative defects will show. You might save yourself some time by shooting in JPEG since some labs cannot print from RAW files. JPEG at it highest quality setting will still get you excellent results and you won't have to convert each scan to that format from RAW before sending the files off.

07-14-2020, 09:13 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
What size negatives are you planning to scan? You may be hard put to fit a set of bellows between a 55mm Takumar and your camera and retain sufficient coverage to be able to image the whole of a 35mm full-frame negative!
He suggested 35mm and 6x7. The matter of using bellows for this task is very sticky, particularly with an APS-C camera. With the 55mm mounted to copy a 35mm negative, the extension would be about 37mm, which is likely less than the minimum thickness of the bellow + mount.

Steve
07-14-2020, 09:29 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If you're using a Pentax DSLR and have the "kit" DA 18-55mm, the minimum focus may well give you sufficient coverage with a 24mp sensor to not need any further extension.
The ST 55/1.8 on a 32mm extension tube would probably work just fine.

Steve
07-14-2020, 01:05 PM   #7

Original Poster
Dear all,

I've got so many nice thoughts and I really appreciate it! I'd repeat myself if I'd answer to each one of you so I rather pour out!
So the current setup is the following (though I'm of course ready to modify it if it’ll lead to a solution):
-Manfrotto tripod with a ball head
-two negative carrier (35mm and 6x9)
-Vorsatz M42 bellows
-SMC Takumar 55mm 1.8
-iPhone and a plexiglass on the top (though I'm thinking about getting a slim light panel)
-and a currently not purchased DSLR (as I have a M42 to F Mount adaptor in my drawer anyway I'm thinking about getting a Nikon D3200/3300)
At the moment I've tried the Takumar on the bellows (fully closed) and attached it to the Spotmatic just to check the outcome. It works and covers the entire frame when I look through the viewfinder. The Takumar is a nice piece of glass I love it but it failed in this setup and I've tried it reversed though I knew that it might be worse and yes; in both cases the edges are blurred. Even and the overall quality was somewhat worse, knowing what this lens is capable of otherwise.
I'm thinking about getting an enlarger lens but I also have to think about the 6x7 negs as well so I might get an 80mm enlarging lens or a dedicated macro. I want even sharpness of course.
I don’t know if the 80mm enlarging lens is a good idea or which macro would be good for both formats/distances but that’s the reason I composed these lines to get some help to setup the fun.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Laci.4400; 07-14-2020 at 01:36 PM.