Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2020, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

My, admittedly limited, but finally reasonably successful experience goes as follows :-

1. Fit the O-GPS1 to the camera and switch on both units.
2. Use the provided "Astrophoto" mode, 'U3' on the Mode Wheel.
3. Set 'Astrotracer' on, on 'Custom Menu #3'
4. Calibrate, select 'Precise Calibration' in the 'Astrotracer' sub-menu on 'Custom Menu #3'

Do note : the 'Calibration' and general reliability of the GPS module can be greatly affected by adjacent metalwork. Set up and operate well away from the car (if out in the field), at least 10ft..

With this all done, fit the camera to the tripod, align and manual focus on a bright star/planet, then make a few test exposures to ascertain background light levels. Adjust aperture, ISO and exposure time to suit.

Start shooting!

The default 'Astrophoto' User Mode is really very good indeed, single exposures of the current Comet Neowise being perfectly practical. You can venture into the realms of multiple exposures and stacking etc. once you get confident with the basics.

Enjoy

Last edited by kypfer; 07-19-2020 at 01:13 AM.
07-19-2020, 02:49 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Hi MiguelATF,

Obviously I understand your frustration at this moment, we all have moments when you lose lucidity and / or the certainty of succeeding in any easy or difficult task that is,
try again in the end somehow you will succeed. In case you missed it. The Ricoh link and O-GPS1's very clear full calibration follow all the steps in the blue top bar and for KP, refer to the manual.

Then you let us know how it went.
Thanks, maw. I'm making a little progress, will post some new attempts shortly

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
My, admittedly limited, but finally reasonably successful experience goes as follows :-

1. Fit the O-GPS1 to the camera and switch on both units.
2. Use the provided "Astrophoto" mode, 'U3' on the Mode Wheel.
3. Set 'Astrotracer' on, on 'Custom Menu #3'
4. Calibrate, select 'Precise Calibration' in the 'Astrotracer' sub-menu on 'Custom Menu #3'

Do note : the 'Calibration' and general reliability of the GPS module can be greatly affected by adjacent metalwork. Set up and operate well away from the car (if out in the field), at least 10ft..

With this all done, fit the camera to the tripod, align and manual focus on a bright star/planet, then make a few test exposures to ascertain background light levels. Adjust aperture, ISO and exposure time to suit.

Start shooting!

The default 'Astrophoto' User Mode is really very good indeed, single exposures of the current Comet Neowise being perfectly practical. You can venture into the realms of multiple exposures and stacking etc. once you get confident with the basics.

Enjoy
Thank you, kypfer, your suggestions are quite clear and are more or less in line with what I'm trying to do now.
07-19-2020, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tonight's results are better than the previous ones; I think I actually may be almost starting to get the hang of it.
Am including two photographs.
The first - with the top of a building in lower frame left - was taken at ISO 1600.
The second - with the top of a garden fence (which looks surprisingly like a telephone pole) in the center of the bottom of the frame, was taken at ISO 800.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
07-19-2020, 03:13 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MiguelATF Quote
Tonight's results are better than the previous ones; I think I actually may be almost starting to get the hang of it.
Am including two photographs.
The first - with the top of a building in lower frame left - was taken at ISO 1600.
The second - with the top of a garden fence (which looks surprisingly like a telephone pole) in the center of the bottom of the frame, was taken at ISO 800.
Did you sort out your original issue of being unable to see the timed astrotracer menu?

07-19-2020, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #20
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MiguelATF Quote
Tonight's results are better than the previous ones....
Hello MiguelATF

From what I see it seems to have reached your goal, the photos are now much more stabilized, so the Pentax O-GPS1 unit starts to give its results as I wrote you,
also you know that calibration is better to do it at the time you shoot and in the direction in which you have to shoot.

Now you just have to have fun.

Ciao Mario
07-19-2020, 04:01 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Did you sort out your original issue of being unable to see the timed astrotracer menu?
No, never. I suspect the KP's firmware gives a different set of menu options than those mentioned or show in the original O-GPS1 instruction manual which came out years and years ago.

What did work however is clicking onto U3 of the Mode wheel - which is preset to the Astrotracer functions - and whose basic screen seems to allow manipulation of all of them. That has really worked for me - and seemed to short-circuit all my original problems attempting to set up the KP's Astrotracer functionality.

---------- Post added 07-19-2020 at 04:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Yes (assuming LV = Live view!).

So, set camera to manual focus (and leave it there for the duration), then go to Live View and magnify it (push the "OK" button for my K-3 and K-1, not sure about any other model), center up on a bright star (you might want to get the star in the middle before you magnify) and adjust focus for the sharpest image. At best focus, the star should almost disappear - shrink down to just a pixel or so on the back panel display. If no star is bright enough, try a street light or a neighbor's porch light - as far away as possible.
This was very helpful - and also your explanation of how to do it was exceedingly clear (unlike some parts of some Pentax user or owner manual) - THANKS for this, AstroDave!
07-19-2020, 07:39 PM   #22
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi MiguelATF

Last night I took some shots, the thing to remember is that the setup often has to be done several times, then you just have to hope that the battery lasts long enough,
I will have to try the AC power supply.
A photo and looking at your picture it seems that you too are heading south like me, you can see Saturn on the left and Jupiter on the right,
living in the city there is a lot of light pollution so I must necessarily keep my times low.

The shot was taken with the F Macro 50mm at 30'' and f/5.6 at ISO 400

Good shots, Mario

Last edited by maw; 07-19-2020 at 08:52 PM. Reason: trouble with picture
07-20-2020, 01:48 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One more set from tonight's test photos - taken at ISO 3200, f/5.6, a 30 second exposure.
My thanks again to everyone for all the comments - which have been - and are continuing to be - helpful!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo