Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2020, 01:11 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Astrotracer Noob needs help with O-GPS1 + KP

Am hoping some wiser and more experienced astrophotography genii can help me out here.

I just bought an O-GPS1 unit, to pair with my KP, before making a trip to a remote (and theoretically astrophotography-friendly) part of southeastern Oregon next week (near the end of July).

I went through the initial steps: installed a battery, mounted it on the hot shoe of my KP, turned both camera and O-GPS1 on - and then went through not one but TWO calibrations - the 1st to calibrate the GPS/E-Compass (done via the third screen of the wrench heading in Menu) - then the 2nd to calibrate the Astrotracer functions (done via the third screen of the Camera/Record Menu, under the heading "ASTROTRACER").

All of which was spelled out in my owner's manual-guide - and all of which went off (apparently) without a hitch. (Doing the calibration on 3 axes took a few tries to get the hang of it but I finally did, and the KP's internal firmware rewarded me by giving me an OK - that the calibration/s had been successfully completed).

But NOW is when my PROBLEM happens - when I try to USE the Astrotracer function. Being a noob, I tried to follow the Manual. It says to first select Bulb (for the exposure mode) and MF (Manual Focus, selectable by a physical dial on the KP's front lens flange) - which I DID. Then it says to go through the Astrotracer Calibration - which I also DID. But---

But this is where the problem starts. The Manual gives instructions for setting exposure ("To set the exposure time using the timer, tick the checkbox for [Timed Exposure] and set the time in [Exposure Time Preset] --- and it even shows a helpful picture of what appears to be the camera's screen showing these features (NOTE: I've attached a jpeg of this page from my Owner's Manual, so we're all 'on the same page')

BUT my KP doesn't show this screen - which the owner's manual calls the "Astrotracer setting screen" - at all!!!!!!!!

I tried taking a sample exposure in Bulb mode for 30 seconds - by holding the shutter button down with my finger for 30 secs - since I was unable to program an exposure with the "Astrotracer setting screen". I also used a tabletop as my tripod, not the best solution.

So---can anyone help out here? Why isn't my KP allowing me to access this Setting screen - which apparently controls Astrotracer functions?
HELP!!!!!!

FYI my KP is running 1.0 Firmware.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
07-18-2020, 01:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MiguelATF Quote
Am hoping some wiser and more experienced astrophotography genii can help me out here.

I just bought an O-GPS1 unit, to pair with my KP, before making a trip to a remote (and theoretically astrophotography-friendly) part of southeastern Oregon next week (near the end of July).

I went through the initial steps: installed a battery, mounted it on the hot shoe of my KP, turned both camera and O-GPS1 on - and then went through not one but TWO calibrations - the 1st to calibrate the GPS/E-Compass (done via the third screen of the wrench heading in Menu) - then the 2nd to calibrate the Astrotracer functions (done via the third screen of the Camera/Record Menu, under the heading "ASTROTRACER").

All of which was spelled out in my owner's manual-guide - and all of which went off (apparently) without a hitch. (Doing the calibration on 3 axes took a few tries to get the hang of it but I finally did, and the KP's internal firmware rewarded me by giving me an OK - that the calibration/s had been successfully completed).

But NOW is when my PROBLEM happens - when I try to USE the Astrotracer function. Being a noob, I tried to follow the Manual. It says to first select Bulb (for the exposure mode) and MF (Manual Focus, selectable by a physical dial on the KP's front lens flange) - which I DID. Then it says to go through the Astrotracer Calibration - which I also DID. But---

But this is where the problem starts. The Manual gives instructions for setting exposure ("To set the exposure time using the timer, tick the checkbox for [Timed Exposure] and set the time in [Exposure Time Preset] --- and it even shows a helpful picture of what appears to be the camera's screen showing these features (NOTE: I've attached a jpeg of this page from my Owner's Manual, so we're all 'on the same page')

BUT my KP doesn't show this screen - which the owner's manual calls the "Astrotracer setting screen" - at all!!!!!!!!

I tried taking a sample exposure in Bulb mode for 30 seconds - by holding the shutter button down with my finger for 30 secs - since I was unable to program an exposure with the "Astrotracer setting screen". I also used a tabletop as my tripod, not the best solution.

So---can anyone help out here? Why isn't my KP allowing me to access this Setting screen - which apparently controls Astrotracer functions?

HELP!!!!!!

FYI my KP is running 1.0 Firmware.
I don't have a KP but is this relevant?

07-18-2020, 02:02 AM - 2 Likes   #3
maw
Pentaxian

Hi MiguelATF,

From your frustration, you can see how important it is, I don't have O-GPS1, because they are already built into K3II and K1,
your problem judging by the picture is that the GPS has not been activated and therefore the tracking function is stopped, as if it wasn't there.
I enclose some links and videos that will help you to solve the abnormal situation, please let us know the following.

O-GPS1 vs Built-in GPS Guide

O-GPS1 Pentax GPS Unit Review

Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit

On youtube more videos
07-18-2020, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #4

Hi MiguelATF

I have a Kp, running firmware version 1.11. The camera came with preinstalled, custom user modes . User mode 3 (U3) on the mode dial is set up for astrophoto. If you haven't altered these modes it might be easier than trying to set up the camera using the manual.

07-18-2020, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

You are on track and ready to go. When you exit the menus (status screen I think it's called in the manual) you can choose shutter speed 2 ways. Green button toggles between the two. Use the front wheel to set it in timed mode. Green button and select then OK for the usual B mode. Hope this makes sense. There's a few things to learn and in my opinion, good idea to set up user modes if you want astrotracer Vs stacking Vs startrails or single night shots. Cheers!
07-18-2020, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

these articles might be of interest -

Astrophotography Part 1 of 6: Planning the Shoot - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
07-18-2020, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is your focus at infinity?

07-18-2020, 02:58 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
And not just "set" at infinity (i.e. with the focus turned all the way to the end)! Many lenses will focus "past" infinity. Magnified Live view and manual focus on a bright star is your friend - and don't turn back to AF!
07-18-2020, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mic_g12 Quote
Hi MiguelATF

I have a Kp, running firmware version 1.11. The camera came with preinstalled, custom user modes . User mode 3 (U3) on the mode dial is set up for astrophoto. If you haven't altered these modes it might be easier than trying to set up the camera using the manual.
This is helpful, mic_g12 -- thanks!

Yes, Fontan - focus is set at infinity. With MF (Manual Focus) enabled.

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
And not just "set" at infinity (i.e. with the focus turned all the way to the end)! Many lenses will focus "past" infinity. Magnified Live view and manual focus on a bright star is your friend - and don't turn back to AF!
I'm using a DA 21, AstroDave - and as far as I know or can tell, focusing is not (or has not been) an issue. The 'Magnified Live view' idea is a good one. But under no circumstances have I reset (or turned the camera back to) AF during this process.
07-18-2020, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Ahhhhh that is a great point! However easer said and than done. Do you recommend doing that on LV mode?
07-18-2020, 03:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Hi MiguelATF,

From your frustration, you can see how important it is, I don't have O-GPS1, because they are already built into K3II and K1,
your problem judging by the picture is that the GPS has not been activated and therefore the tracking function is stopped, as if it wasn't there.
I enclose some links and videos that will help you to solve the abnormal situation, please let us know the following.

O-GPS1 vs Built-in GPS Guide

O-GPS1 Pentax GPS Unit Review

Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit

On youtube more videos
With the exception of the YouTube videos (which I'm going to check out) I actually have and had read all of these, maw --- the only one which I had found useful was the 2nd one you listed, the "Unit Review". Unlike the others, it has a great deal of specific information about the process of calibration (which must be done twice, the first time for general GPS, the second for Astrotracer functions) - and it also has specific information about how to tell the 'status' of the O-GPS1 unit itself -- i.e. what the different states of the blue LED 'status light' mean. Most of this info is in the owner's manual but the Unit Review spells it out a little more clearly. The "good news" is that, in fact, I have done all the correct (and to some, complicated) calibrations necessary, and that, once I went through the motions, the O-GPS1 unit did get a good lock on all the satellites (indicated by a solid steady blue light).

But the 'BAD NEWS' (which is the original subject of my posting) is that, once I did all the required steps, the camera is supposed to show me additional Menu Options - including the options for setting different 'timed exposures' in Astrotracer mode. All of this is covered in the "Unit Review" - in the section 'Features In-Depth (ii)' --- but it is precisely these additional menu options which aren't appearing on my KP, after I've gone through the required calibrations.

Which, obviously, is all the more frustrating as in fact the GPS has been both activated and calibrated beforehand.
Sigh.
07-18-2020, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

The camera does not show you additional options or menu pages. Once calibrated, exit the menus. The mode dial must be on "B". You now have 2 options for shutter speed, use green button to swap between them. In timed mode, up to 5 minutes when astrotracer on and up to 20 minutes without astrotracer. The other mode is a normal B mode where you control shutter open and close. Cheers
07-18-2020, 03:54 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you recommend doing that on LV mode?
Yes (assuming LV = Live view!).

So, set camera to manual focus (and leave it there for the duration), then go to Live View and magnify it (push the "OK" button for my K-3 and K-1, not sure about any other model), center up on a bright star (you might want to get the star in the middle before you magnify) and adjust focus for the sharpest image. At best focus, the star should almost disappear - shrink down to just a pixel or so on the back panel display. If no star is bright enough, try a street light or a neighbor's porch light - as far away as possible.
07-18-2020, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With the exception of the YouTube videos (which I'm going to check out) I actually have and had read all of these, maw --- the only one which I had found useful was the 2nd one you listed, the "Unit Review". Unlike the others, it has a great deal of specific information about the process of calibration (which must be done twice, the first time for general GPS, the second for Astrotracer functions) - and it also has specific information about how to tell the 'status' of the O-GPS1 unit itself -- i.e. what the different states of the blue LED 'status light' mean. Most of this info is in the owner's manual but the Unit Review spells it out a little more clearly. The "good news" is that, in fact, I have done all the correct (and to some, complicated) calibrations necessary, and that, once I went through the motions, the O-GPS1 unit did get a good lock on all the satellites (indicated by a solid steady blue light).

But the 'BAD NEWS' (which is the original subject of my posting) is that, once I did all the required steps, the camera is supposed to show me additional Menu Options - including the options for setting different 'timed exposures' in Astrotracer mode. All of this is covered in the "Unit Review" - in the section 'Features In-Depth (ii)' --- but it is precisely these additional menu options which aren't appearing on my KP, after I've gone through the required calibrations.

Which, obviously, is all the more frustrating as in fact the GPS has been both activated and calibrated beforehand.

Sigh.
What happens when you press the green button? This is meant to toggle between the timing modes.

07-18-2020, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #15
maw
Pentaxian

Sigh.

Hi MiguelATF,

Obviously I understand your frustration at this moment, we all have moments when you lose lucidity and / or the certainty of succeeding in any easy or difficult task that is,
try again in the end somehow you will succeed. In case you missed it. The Ricoh link and O-GPS1's very clear full calibration follow all the steps in the blue top bar and for KP, refer to the manual.

Then you let us know how it went.