Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2020, 08:49 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Auto-Focusing Problem with K-7 and SMC Takumar F 70~200mm Lens.

Greetings all,

Yesterday I was out shooting around the neighborhood. I was working in one neighbor's garden taking what I thought were darn good images. Images looked very sharp

in the rear monitor, however when I transfered images to my computer, just about the whole shootin' match was soft. Okay, I did not shoot until the all clear light had given

me the go ahead and as usual I was using my tripod. I am aware that my gear is Old School, and like me, it cannot remain focused consistently for very long.

Now my thinking is that since just about all of them were soft, the Auto-Focus must be out of whack because of its age. If need be, I will be happy to upload an image here.

Many thnx for any helpful hints and suggestions.

Cheers Mates. ) Tonytee

Last edited by Tonytee; 07-20-2020 at 09:18 PM.
07-20-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Post a few examples with the EXIF data intact, Tony.
07-20-2020, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Post a few examples with the EXIF data intact, Tony.

AllrighteethenIwill.

tt
07-20-2020, 09:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is #1.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
07-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is Number 2.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
07-20-2020, 09:24 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is number 3.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
07-20-2020, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Tony. How far were you from your subject(s)?

07-20-2020, 09:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Thanks Tony. How far were you from your subject(s)?

That's just exactly what I was thinking. I moved back far enough ( I thought) until the Auto-Focus indicator gave me the green light to go ahead and shoot. However, I am

wondering if perhaps I could or should have moved back a little more. The one issue is, the subject appeared to be in sharp focus through the viewfinder and again, on the

rear monitor. I haven't used this lens for quite some time, so the years may be catching up to it. I paid only $13.00USD on ebay about seven years ago, so not a big loss if it has

given up the ghost. I will try again to move back further with it and see what happens. BTW I need to send you a PM. Alright?

Cheers,

tt
07-20-2020, 10:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if you were far enough back for the thing to focus. In your first image, the flower, behind, appears to be in focus, but the foreground not.
May I suggest that you try LiveView and confirm your subject is in focus there? (As you're using tripod anyway, that would be easy to do.)

Sure, feel free to PM me.
07-20-2020, 10:05 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That lens has a minimum focus distance of 1.1 metres. If you are at say 1.5 metres away from the subject, at f5.6 you have razor thin depth of field, about half an inch !!

So your focussing is critical. What did you focus on in the first picture ? The stamens or the petals ? You cant have both in focus. There is some detail in the petals where they fall in the focus plane.

This kind of shot you will do best getting the camera on a tripod and use magnified live view so you can see exactly what is in focus and what isn't. If you do use AF then use single point only and be careful where you point it. Multiple AF points will fail most of the time to get this kind of shot correct.

---------- Post added 07-21-20 at 06:19 AM ----------

The other thing to bear in mind when shooting flowers is if there is the slightest breeze you will get motion blur when shooting at 1/20 second.

Also make sure the Shake Reduction is turned OFF when using a tripod, and that you use the self timer or a remote release. Pressing the shutter button by hand with the camera on a tripod can lead to blur too, but this time from the camera movement.
07-20-2020, 10:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I second the idea of using single point AF. Otherwise the camera decides and it can get it wrong. That seems to be the case here. I don't think there is any problem with the gear. Just a small error between camera and ground.
07-20-2020, 10:34 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
That lens has a minimum focus distance of 1.1 metres. If you are at say 1.5 metres away from the subject, at f5.6 you have razor thin depth of field, about half an inch !!

So your focussing is critical. What did you focus on in the first picture ? The stamens or the petals ? You cant have both in focus. There is some detail in the petals where they fall in the focus plane.

This kind of shot you will do best getting the camera on a tripod and use magnified live view so you can see exactly what is in focus and what isn't. If you do use AF then use single point only and be careful where you point it. Multiple AF points will fail most of the time to get this kind of shot correct.

---------- Post added 07-21-20 at 06:19 AM ----------

The other thing to bear in mind when shooting flowers is if there is the slightest breeze you will get motion blur when shooting at 1/20 second.

Also make sure the Shake Reduction is turned OFF when using a tripod, and that you use the self timer or a remote release. Pressing the shutter button by hand with the camera on a tripod can lead to blur too, but this time from the camera movement.

Unfortunately I cannot pin the blame on wind, perhaps a little hot air from me. I do use a tripod exclusively and the self-timer automatically turns off the SR. I did aim directly at dead center on all of these. The mystery is that the subject appeared to be in perfect focus prior to taking the shot. Well, tomorrow is another day, so I will give it a go, as they say down under. Many thanks for your contribution. Tony
07-20-2020, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
The mystery is that the subject appeared to be in perfect focus prior to taking the shot
Looking at the image through the viewfinder or even on the rear LCD screen in it's entirety is not the same as viewing it on a computer monitor.

As I said earlier, at f5.6 you cannot have everything in focus, that is simple physics. You need to move further back to increase DOF, or use a narrower aperture to increase DOF or both.
07-20-2020, 11:16 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Looking at the image through the viewfinder or even on the rear LCD screen in it's entirety is not the same as viewing it on a computer monitor.

As I said earlier, at f5.6 you cannot have everything in focus, that is simple physics. You need to move further back to increase DOF, or use a narrower aperture to increase DOF or both.

Many thanks to you sir.

tt
07-21-2020, 03:59 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Unfortunately I cannot pin the blame on wind, perhaps a little hot air from me. I do use a tripod exclusively and the self-timer automatically turns off the SR. I did aim directly at dead center on all of these. The mystery is that the subject appeared to be in perfect focus prior to taking the shot.
It appears to be in focus, but your eyes and brain are also applying some subtle correction. This is a real hassle with manual focus lenses. Ask me how I know that.