Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2020, 01:54 AM   #1

Greetings from Ireland!

Hi, I've just joined (after occasionally lurking for many years!). Had some birthday cash to spare so recently upgraded from my K20D to a second-hand K3 - which I still have the option to return and seriously thinking about as I find it difficult to get used to compared to the K20D. One issue someone might advise on please: I have been doing some test shots of the same scene at different apertures and find the wheel sticks after a few changes - is there a valid reason for this or is it a technical fault with the camera? It frees up again if I lightly press the shutter release button. Never happened on the K20D.

07-22-2020, 02:14 AM   #2
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philtax Quote
Greetings from Ireland!
In the meantime, you're welcome on the forum,

You can say how you're operating, maybe you accidentally touch them, you can explain.

Hi Mario
07-22-2020, 02:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi, I've just joined (after occasionally lurking for many years!). Had some birthday cash to spare so recently upgraded from my K20D to a second-hand K3 - which I still have the option to return and seriously thinking about as I find it difficult to get used to compared to the K20D. One issue someone might advise on please: I have been doing some test shots of the same scene at different apertures and find the wheel sticks after a few changes - is there a valid reason for this or is it a technical fault with the camera? It frees up again if I lightly press the shutter release button. Never happened on the K20D.

When you write "wheel sticks", which 'wheel' are we discussing?

I don't have either of your cameras, but if it's the Mode Dial you're referring to, it may well have a lock button which needs to be released (my K-5 and the KP have this annoying feature).
If it's one of the 'e-dials' not responding you're referring to, there may be further issues.
07-22-2020, 03:26 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

You will find friendly members and knowledge here

here is the operating manual for that camera:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3.pdf

[ which can be found at the Owners' Review: Pentax K-3 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications ]

and the in depth review:
QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-3 Review
Introduction
Originally announced on October 7th, 2013, the Pentax K-3 is the exciting new flagship 24-megapixel APS-C DSLR from Pentax which will be replacing the outgoing K-5 II and K-5 IIs models. This camera delivers numerous enhancements over the aging Pentax K-5 family of DSLRs, which was originally introduced more than three years ago, in September 2010. Targeted mainly at advanced photographers and enthusiasts, the K-3's improved key specifications are now on par with (or better than) those of the Nikon D7100, its closest competitor within the DSLR realm. . . .
Read more at: Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

it is a very good camera, I hope it works out for you

07-22-2020, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think I know what is happening here.

After you take a picture the "instant review" image is displayed on the rear LCD screen for a short while. While the image is being displayed, any movement of the rear dial acts as the zoom function for the review image. So if you try and change the aperture while the review is displayed you will find it does not work. As you discovered, a half press of the shutter cancels the display and the rear wheel now controls aperture again. this is perfectly normal.

The length of time the review shows on the rear screen can be customised in the camera menu or even turned off completely. I have mine set to 3 seconds. That is enough time for me to look at the histogram which is all I am interested in at that stage to check exposure. It should also be possible for you to disable the zoom function during review (it is on my K1).

All the above only apples to the "instant review" which appears when you capture a single picture or in the case of a burst of pictures only displays the last one. To view and zoom your captured pictures you use the Playback button.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by pschlute; 07-22-2020 at 04:17 AM.
07-22-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums from Australia. Hope the advice above solves your problem. I have a K-3 and have occasionally had an annoying "sticking" problem like that, just because I am trying to do something faster than the camera will allow it.
07-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.
07-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #8
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
So if you try and change the aperture while the review is displayed you will find it does not work
As pschlute has underlined, after the shot the image appears for the set time (also I set it 3 sec), so any selector touches the image disappears
but it's enough to press play for the review, you can set this setting from the menu, fortunately the Pentax menu is one of the most linear and simple.

07-24-2020, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I think I know what is happening here.

After you take a picture the "instant review" image is displayed on the rear LCD screen for a short while. While the image is being displayed, any movement of the rear dial acts as the zoom function for the review image. So if you try and change the aperture while the review is displayed you will find it does not work. As you discovered, a half press of the shutter cancels the display and the rear wheel now controls aperture again. this is perfectly normal.

The length of time the review shows on the rear screen can be customised in the camera menu or even turned off completely. I have mine set to 3 seconds. That is enough time for me to look at the histogram which is all I am interested in at that stage to check exposure. It should also be possible for you to disable the zoom function during review (it is on my K1).

All the above only apples to the "instant review" which appears when you capture a single picture or in the case of a burst of pictures only displays the last one. To view and zoom your captured pictures you use the Playback button.

Hope this helps.
Hi guys, many thanks for all your replies and particularly to pschlute (love your pictures and your dogs) - that makes perfect sense and now that you mention it I do recall seeing something about that in my all-too-rapid reading of the manual! I was on the verge of returning the K3 but now I will keep it and make a better effort to get to know it (if it ever stops raining here).
07-24-2020, 11:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Hi guys, ... I was on the verge of returning the K3 but now I will keep it and make a better effort to get to know it (if it ever stops raining here).

No excuse!

The K3 is "weather resistant" - get out there and enjoy
07-25-2020, 02:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum, and hopefully the excellent observation plus advise based on it has solved your problem! I too have a K20D, now seldom used, which was supplanted by the K-5 and K-5 IIs, which I still use at times, though I now mostly shoot with the KP. The K-5 and especially the K-5 IIs as a step up proved to be very worthwhile, but quite a different animal. The K-3 is yet even more advanced in certain respects. I think soon you will come to appreciate the 100% coverage of the K-3's VF for starters. Its exposure metering should also be more accurate (though I passed on buying that model) as the K20D tends to underexpose. My K-5 and K-5 IIs are much more accurate, while also providing much lower noise and good detail retention at higher ISO settings. I believe you'll find similar advantages with the K-3, among other advanced features.