Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2020, 05:01 PM   #1

Cleaning inside pentax me super

while I was out and changing my lens, some dust/black bits got into my camera. I managed to clean most of it but there still are some remains (as seen in the image). The black bits are on the silver sensor just above the mirror (I dont know the actual name as im only new to this)

I really want to get rid of it, so I'm wondering whats the best way to get rid of it. Can I do it myself or should I seek a professional?

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
SM-G973F  Photo 
07-24-2020, 06:06 PM - 2 Likes   #2
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi irisangela,

Welcome to the Pentaxian forum,

The stains that have dirtied the focus screen I advise you not to touch it further, use only a spray-air can and blow it from a reasonable distance,

do not use any cottonfioc or anything else you might damage it further. But you should also know that it does not affect the quality of the images in any way.

Ok!, Bye Mario
07-24-2020, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
i agree with maw. Blow out with a puffer or canned air. BTW welcome to the forum.
07-25-2020, 01:47 AM   #4

Original Poster
Oh great thank you for clearing it up for me!! I've been very worried about this.

Just to get it clear, the dirt on the focus screen won't show up on any of my pictures once they're developed?

07-25-2020, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #5
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by irisangela Quote
Just to get it clear, the dirt on the focus screen won't show up on any of my pictures once they're developed?
Hi irisangela, your photographs will not show any of the dirt on the focus screen. Enjoy your shooting..............
07-25-2020, 01:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The focus screen is only for the image seen in the viewfinder. The focus screens can be quite delicate; that's why air only for getting rid of the black bits. Old ME Supers are known for disintegrating light seals on the back of the mirror. Mine has this problem. I wonder if the black bits are part of this seal that got thrown onto the focus screen when the mirror flips up when taking a shot. Just a guess.
07-26-2020, 07:30 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
The focus screen is only for the image seen in the viewfinder. The focus screens can be quite delicate; that's why air only for getting rid of the black bits. Old ME Supers are known for disintegrating light seals on the back of the mirror. Mine has this problem. I wonder if the black bits are part of this seal that got thrown onto the focus screen when the mirror flips up when taking a shot. Just a guess.
The black bits only appeared when I was outside using my camera and switching my lenses. Beforehand, it was perfectly clear. Something must have gotten in as I was changing lenses. I've ordered a cleaning kit so I hope it goes away!