Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2020, 08:13 PM   #1

Ricoh Theta V - images not aligned different exposures

Hi everyone! I have just bought a Theta V camera. Trying to take my first images, I notice that the images on the viewer ( I am using an Iphone and the Theta appp) are not aligned, seems like they have different exposures in the different lenses. Is this normal? I have looked online and have not bee able to see this issue and I have updated to the latest firmware. is this a problem with the phone or settings? Would appreciate any guidance.

Attached Images

07-24-2020, 08:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If there is a strong point light source facing one camera but not the other, this may inevitably happen.

The solution is to hold the camera perpendicular to the light source, so that both lenses can see it (e.g., turning the camera 90 degrees counterclockwise in this case). This is especially important when shooting in bright sunlight.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-24-2020, 08:35 PM   #3
ran

Original Poster
Thank you Adam. I have tried rotating the camera and in different light settings. However, the stark difference in exposure (and mis alignment) is obvious regardless of how the camera is turned and the source of the light.
Attached Images

07-24-2020, 09:38 PM   #4
ran

Original Poster
Here is another image. This is on the viewer and also when it is exported.

Attached Images

07-24-2020, 10:29 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Have you done any tests outdoors? Also, there have been some firmware updates for the Theta V which improve the stitching, so that might help a bit. However, overall I think it mostly boils down to technique and the limitations of matching the exposure of two images with different lighting (this it harder for the camera if it's already shooting at higher ISOs).

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-24-2020, 10:53 PM   #6
ran

Original Poster
I will take some outdoor shots in the morning.
I have installed the latest firmware. I have also tried reinstalling the app and have tried on multiple devices
The sharp delineation and exposure does not change regardless of how I moved the camera and light source (one lens is always darker compared to the other) I have done multiple indoor shoots with good uniform ceiling lights.
The In app alignement is pretty poor
I have tried shooting in with a range of ISO settings manually, which made no difference to this
I am wondering whether it is a problem with the camera? Appreciate any advice. Thanks!
07-25-2020, 01:13 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ran Quote
I am wondering whether it is a problem with the camera? Appreciate any advice. Thanks!
If you get the same result in uniform outdoor lighting, this could certainly be a possibility. I'd just double-check that the lighting issues also appear when opening the files on a computer.

Adam