Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2020, 06:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

K1 and heat will it shutdown?

I recently went back packing and had my K1 inside my tent. Temperatures during the day got upwards of 94 degrees so the tent may have been hotter. I took the camera out to shoot the comet and some stars at night, but it would not fire. It jolted as if it was trying to focus and shoot, but it was dark and I was doing the focusing. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

07-25-2020, 06:51 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i did not experience something of such extent.

But i have noticed that, in past few occasions when i went shooting in very warm weather (either 94'F or slightly higher), the battery seems to drain much faster.

It went down to yellow status rather much quicker than usual.
07-25-2020, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDish Quote
I took the camera out to shoot the comet and some stars at night, but it would not fire. It jolted as if it was trying to focus and shoot, but it was dark and I was doing the focusing.
I've used my k-1 in high heat conditions, and have not had heat-related issues like you described.
If you were shooting in low light conditions, that presents its own challenges. Did you have the camera set to AF? Did you have Catch In Focus enabled?
07-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The back screen of my K1 Mk II once showed funny colors while I carried in in plain sun. I think it was frozen, too, but dont remember. Switching off/on was the solution.

07-25-2020, 08:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mmm - it claims to operate up to 104F, but I'm sure that's under test conditions - unfortunately the UK never gets warm enough to test that
07-25-2020, 08:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just used mine in Wash, DC in 97F/36C temperatures, and it sat out in one of the shoots in full morning sun for at least an hour, if not 2. No issues.

That said, on the next day for a different shoot I put it and the museum's 5DmkIV under a shade canopy. That shoot went on a lot longer (that is, the time waiting for the shoot to start after setup was a lot longer, and there was a 45+ minute pause between segments).
07-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My K-1's have been pretty much "bullet proof" since I bought them. I think that the K-1 is a very rugged camera, even in the heat.

Frankly, I worry more about damaging my lenses in the heat/sun than I do about my K-1 camera.

07-25-2020, 08:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
My K-1's have been pretty much "bullet proof" since I bought them. I think that the K-1 is a very rugged camera, even in the heat.

Frankly, I worry more about damaging my lenses in the heat/sun than I do about my K-1 camera.
K1 is like a Death Star. If you know how to make it fail, it is easy. Otherwise it is quite impressive.
07-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Temperatures during the day got upwards of 94 degrees so the tent may have been hotter. I took the camera out to shoot the comet and some stars at night, but it would not fire. It jolted as if it was trying to focus and shoot, but it was dark and I was doing the focusing. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
I think it is difficult to determine whether heat was a factor, based on the description provided.

Presumably the ambient temperature was lower in the evening or night, so the camera would have been cooler than at the daytime peak.

A bit of additional information would help with the diagnosis:

Which lens were you using?

Was the camera or lens in 'manual focus' mode?

Were you able to achieve a sharp focus on your subject(s)?

Were you able to take any shots?

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 07-25-2020 at 09:00 AM.
07-25-2020, 08:57 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I think it is difficult to determine whether heat was a factor, based on the description provided.
What they said ^ ^ ^

...and with the same questions.

Steve
07-25-2020, 09:03 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I live in the southwest desert, summer temperature routinely exceeds 110. Have never had any problems with any of my Pentax cameras.
07-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

It jolted as if it was trying to focus and shoot, but it was dark and I was doing the focusing.
Some camera settings won't let the shutter fire unless the camera has focus confirmation. The camera might not fire at night when there's nothing for the AF sensor to lock on to, even when you are using manual focus. Check catch-in-focus and similar settings. How were you manually focusing: live view and zooming on a bright star?

I don't think 94 F temperature caused your problem. If the camera was baking in direct sunlight during the day, though, that could make the camera much hotter. But your comet photo was obviously after sunset when temperatures started to cool down. and if live view was working for manual focus then the sensor and shutter had to be functioning.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 07-25-2020 at 05:37 PM.
07-26-2020, 12:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
94 F is pretty mild where I live (in Summer anyway). I've never had an issue with the K1 at much higher temperatures.
07-26-2020, 01:23 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Temperature is not an issue with my K1. I have traveled through Australia's searing central deserts, the hot, humid Northern Territory and north Western Australia using the K1 without problems related to heat. Occasionally if I get in and out of the air-conditioned campervan in really hot conditions I'll get some condensation, so I just remember to open a window or turn down the aircon before I get to my destination so the temp equalises a bit.

94F is very common in summer around where I live too...and no probs.

I agree with DeadJohn that it sounds like focus confirmation.
07-26-2020, 02:50 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like the camera was asked to focus on a dark sky and simply unable to lock focus. Astrophotography and autofocus generally don’t go together.