Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2020, 06:39 AM   #1

M42 Stuck with flange removed

Hello All
I have managed to get an M42 adapter stuck in my K1 I can unscrew the lens but the adapter stayed in place. Before I put the adapters on my M42 lens I removed the small screw that holds the 2 small flanges on the adapter just in case they got stuck. I did not realize it at the time but the lens appears to be attached to the camera 90 to far in the counter clock wise direction. I have included pics of the both the lens on the camera and just the adapter on the camera. The adapter in the pic is loose it is not jammed in the mount however it will not release. Any help would be appreciated .

Mike

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo 
07-26-2020, 07:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I’m not familiar with your adapter, but you may need something like a very small screwdriver to releases spring though one of those slots. One you get it out buy a genuine Pentax adapter, they don’t need a tool, allow infinity focus, and don’t get stuck.
07-26-2020, 07:04 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rml63 Quote
Hello All
I have managed to get an M42 adapter stuck in my K1 I can unscrew the lens but the adapter stayed in place. Before I put the adapters on my M42 lens I removed the small screw that holds the 2 small flanges on the adapter just in case they got stuck. I did not realize it at the time but the lens appears to be attached to the camera 90 to far in the counter clock wise direction. I have included pics of the both the lens on the camera and just the adapter on the camera. The adapter in the pic is loose it is not jammed in the mount however it will not release. Any help would be appreciated .

Mike
Does that adapter come with a tool/wrench to remove it? If not can you try a pair of spanners in the slots?
07-26-2020, 07:57 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Your problem has been seen here before. Unfortunately, it is possible to insert some third-party adapters in the wrong orientation, from which they are very difficult to remove. On others, there is risk they will overrotate in the mount if the spring has been removed. That last is complicated to explain, but obvious when observing how the genuine adapter works and comparing the machining to the brand-X.

Options to remove would include fiddling until you get to an orientation that allows removal or using a Dremel tool or small hacksaw blade to carefully cut through the adapter at one or both notches, taking care to avoid getting fillings into the mirror box. A third option would be to remove the mount so you can see the how to remove from the back side.

Steve

07-26-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

a few of the adapters i have over rotate so the 3 flanges do not line up correctly.....a slight return should get them to line up and allow the adapter to come out
07-26-2020, 09:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
Aaron , what do you mean by a slight return? Do you mean counter clockwise?

Mike
07-26-2020, 09:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rml63 Quote
what do you mean by a slight return? Do you mean counter clockwise?
yes....turn back some

07-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #8

The photos online that I can find for that adapter shows it comes with a removal tool.

Worst comes to worst you could remove the camera mount. Take care not to lose any of the springs and contacts and not to break the ground/earth wire attached to the mount or the ring underneath. You should then be able to access the spring clip and perhaps see what is hanging up. JIS driver is recommended to remove the JIS (not Philips) head screws.
07-26-2020, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
yes....turn back some
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The photos online that I can find for that adapter shows it comes with a removal tool.
Note the orientation of the adapter. I may be way wrong, but based on the position of the backside cut-out (where the spring installs), it is about 180 degrees off. Camera bottom is to the right in the second photo. Note that the OP stated that the spring is already removed.

FWIW...I thought Fotodiox pulled this adapter from the market a few years back. It is not on their Web site, but there it is today at B&H.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-26-2020 at 10:10 AM.
07-26-2020, 10:56 AM - 4 Likes   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Note the orientation of the adapter. I may be way wrong, but based on the position of the backside cut-out (where the spring installs), it is about 180 degrees off. Camera bottom is to the right in the second photo. Note that the OP stated that the spring is already removed.
Steve
The adapter is no longer listed on Fotodiox's site but there may be new old stock out there for sale.

There is a reason for the red dot on the adapter.

The OEM adapter can be put in 180° off. The spring normally prevents this but if it is removed or you press the spring in the adapter can be inserted.

Simple: just line up the notch to the red dot as pictured below, hook a finger nail in the other cut-out, pinch and lift it out starting at the side you are holding. Do not lift straight out. Tilt it out.

07-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The adapter is no longer listed on Fotodiox's site but there may be new old stock out there for sale.

There is a reason for the red dot on the adapter.

The OEM adapter can be put in 180° off. The spring normally prevents this but if it is removed or you press the spring in the adapter can be inserted.

Simple: just line up the notch to the red dot as pictured below, hook a finger nail in the other cut-out, pinch and lift it out starting at the side you are holding. Do not lift straight out. Tilt it out.
This make sense. I remember that when I was trying to reproduce a previous case, I had to tilt the adapter and even work it a little to get it in 180° off.

I am sure the OP will appreciate the clear and easy instructions.

Steve
07-26-2020, 11:57 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know I am repeating myself but folks, the genuine adapter costs £40 and will last you a lifetime. A cheap one will allow you to spend what, £20 on booze and fags but why take this risk.
07-26-2020, 12:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Third party adapters may not be machined precisely enough to provide a proper fit, making installation and removal tricky. The tolerances are very tight.
07-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I know I am repeating myself but folks, the genuine adapter costs £40 and will last you a lifetime. A cheap one will allow you to spend what, £20 on booze and fags but why take this risk.
The legacy ones are even better than the new ones.
07-26-2020, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The legacy ones are even better than the new ones.
I bought mine in the 1980's. Kind of proves my point