Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2020, 02:02 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Unregistered User

BatteryGrip/Gimbal Problem Solved!

Last edited by Unregistered User; 10-23-2020 at 04:11 AM.
07-27-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't have or need a gimbal, (at least right now but I'd like to) but this is interesting, and I applaud your ingenuity Dan. I know with a gimbal balance is everything and it looks as though you've just made it more useful. How about a couple of photos of the rig?
08-02-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I don't have or need a gimbal, (at least right now but I'd like to) but this is interesting, and I applaud your ingenuity Dan. I know with a gimbal balance is everything and it looks as though you've just made it more useful. How about a couple of photos of the rig?
I should have done that while I was taking things apart & doing the construction. But I do mean to document the problem and the solution (any day, now). I'm in the middle of some serious computer surgery right now, so it'll be a few days.
08-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
allows the camera with a non-footed lens attached to be mounted more fore or aft than would be possible otherwise in order to assist
This is additionally interesting.

08-28-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
Unregistered User

I did take a bunch of pictures of the arrangement, but I'm still in the middle of computer-surgery; so I'll tell you about that, instead of posting anything (the computer that's in pieces on the office floor is the one I use for editing - pictures posted here are SOOC - K-1 w/ 100mm macro).

So I was troubled by the thought that my pictures looked different on the office computer than on the dining room computer (which doubles as the TV, but that's another story). Being color-blind, I pretty much have to rely on the hardware to manage that without my involvement. So I want the hardware to be up to the task, and one of my monitors clearly was not. I'd bought a 27" whiz-bang "gaming monitor" for the office thinking it ought to be up to picture editing because of all the graphical hoo-hah that it would have to do for video-death games. Nope. I'd have to buy one of them calibration devices and get someone who can see the differences to help me. Instead, I went and bought a new monitor - "calibrated at the factory" and sold as good for picture editing (LG 27GL850-B).

Then, I figured, I really ought to get a better video card to run that monitor, so I went out and bought one. Ooops. That one needed an 850W power supply, and mine was 650W. So then I went and bought a big new power supply. Another oops. It was too big for the case. So, guess what? A new case, of course. Got all the stuff put back together in the new case and sort of working, and I thought, while I'm in there, I may as well put a new battery in to run the cmos memory that keeps the bios from losing its mind - it's four or five years old, anyway. As long as I'm there, right? Ooops. The little plastic clippy-thing that holds the battery in broke off. It had gotten both stuck and brittle. I tried adapting a couple of AAA batteries in a little battery holder and soldered the wires to the connectors in the battery repository on the m'board.

Then I found the video card I'd bought was not going to work properly for some reason (now I can't remember why), so I took it back and got another one. The new one was smaller and didn't require as much power - in fact my original setup would have been fine for it, so I didn't need to mess with all that fall-de-rall. By the way, I also broke the little clippy thing that holds the tail end of the video card in the slot, as well.

Ended up buying a new motherboard, and I'm now in the process of finding all the little wires and cables and figuring out where they get plugged. So maybe, with luck, in a couple of days, I'll be able to get to work on pictures again.

Cleaned up the CPU (old thermal grease had to be removed with alcohol) and installed in on the motherboard. Installed new grease and installed a new heat-sink, along with the M.2 SSD to the left of the CPU. Then restoring the memories and installing video card. And a couple of enormous fans in the top of the box (visible on the right side - the box comes with a smart fan controller that talks to the motherboard so everything will stay cool).

I just can't wait until I get to bang my head over driver issues.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 10-11-2020 at 09:37 AM.