Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2020, 05:31 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hirainme Quote
I checked, and it was Adobe RGB correctly selected in my Ricoh...
If so I suspect that the used colour space while editing in Lightroom is also AdobeRGB. If so, is the monitor you're viewing the files on capable of displaying much in AdobeRGB colour space? Most monitors are able to display almost or even more than 100% of sRGB, but AdobeRGB is about 30% (?!) larger (?) than sRGB, so your monitor might not be able to display the colours correctly.

I think it is recommended to use sRGB whenever you can (because it is the most widely supported colour space), unless you explicitly need or profit from using AdobeRGB.

07-29-2020, 05:35 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
If so I suspect that the used colour space while editing in Lightroom is also AdobeRGB. If so, is the monitor you're viewing the files on capable of displaying much in AdobeRGB colour space? Most monitors are able to display almost or even more than 100% of sRGB, but AdobeRGB is about 30% (?!) larger (?) than sRGB, so your monitor might not be able to display the colours correctly.

I think it is recommended to use sRGB whenever you can (because it is the most widely supported colour space), unless you explicitly need or profit from using AdobeRGB.
yes, the monitor is the same as before...
07-29-2020, 05:39 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would try setting colour profile in the GR and/or in Lightroom (for viewing/editing; not exporting, that seems to be the case already) to sRGB and see if the issue is still there.
07-29-2020, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #19

I only see some posterization in LR when I am working from a smart preview or the file has not been loaded propperly. It happens very seldom but it happens.
Best would be to restart your PC or Mac and see if it still continues.
Hope this helps.

07-29-2020, 07:37 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How are you viewing the images in Lightroom? If in Library or Develop then these are Lightroom’s preview images that are typically only 2 to 4 megapixels, with actual size controlled, from memory, in the Preferences menu item. The default is quite low. So edits can look pretty ordinary with the previews but fine once exported at high resolution. This would be accentuated if there is a mismatch between the preview resolution and your screen resolution as a rescaling is occurring and if your screen is higher res than the preview, that may well get ugly. I personally only judge the final result once I have exported out of Lightroom as a Jpeg at or above my screen’s resolution and view the image full screen using a jpeg viewer app. I use that to determine whether to go back into Lightroom and further edit the image.
07-29-2020, 08:42 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I checked, and it was Adobe RGB correctly selected in my Ricoh...
The choice of Adobe RGB vs. sRGB only applies to JPEG output.

Addendum: The manual is sort of foggy on the Image Capture Settings menu items. They all apply to JPEGs only, something that is only inferred in the descriptions and footnotes. The Pentax manuals have the same weakness.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-29-2020 at 09:34 AM.
07-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be great if you could! Just to understand if you can see the same issues I see on my PC...
Sure. Send me a PM when you have time, and we'll figure out a way to get a file to me. I have a Google drive, so should be able to provide you with access to a folder on that...

09-05-2020, 07:51 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Watching this thread. Any updates?
09-07-2020, 03:51 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Watching this thread. Any updates?
Problem solved! You can close the topic, many thanks!
09-07-2020, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Might be helpful for others to hear what fixed the issue for you I think.

I never ran into this myself with my GRIII
09-07-2020, 11:04 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And what was the problem that was solved?
09-08-2020, 05:00 AM   #27

Original Poster
It was simply the old windows 7, when i had the possibility to check the image via another computer the problem did not appear
perhaps with no updates the system had issues with color rendering...
09-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #28
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It was simply the old windows 7, when i had the possibility to check the image via another computer the problem did not appear
perhaps with no updates the system had issues with color rendering...
I've had this same type of thing happen some time ago. I was processing photos from my Hasselblad HV in Lightroom 6, and was disappointed to find some noticeable areas of posterising. Initially, I put it down to the lossy compression used in the camera's raw files, but after re-profiling my monitor, the problem disappeared. Just an OS glitch, it seems...
09-08-2020, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
So, hirainme, with RAW files, they are incomplete images, the onus is on you to get the exposure, the contrast, the saturation, the colour balance, the noise reduction and the sharpening to your taste.
I agree, and agree also with the suggestion to shoot RAW + JPEG highest quality. I don't find the exposure to be bad, in fact about right considering the subject and circumstances. Any more exposure could burn out detail in the brighter side of the face. Incidentally, with outdoor people shots even in broad daylight, it's a good idea to use some fill flash.
09-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #30

Original Poster
always shooting raw + jpeg highest quality