Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Days Ago   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Problem with my K-7 not being able to accurately replicate real time colors (Wine)

Yesterday I was out in our backyard trying to snap a few of my wife's flowers of which there is a wide assortment of colors. The color I had a problem with is Wine or Burgundy or Maroon. The images came out Pink or a little Orange, but not what I wanted. I did check the White Balance and it was set for the weather conditions which were cloudy

and I also reset it to White Balance Daylight and even tried flash, but no change. I had my SMC Pentax-M Zoom 1:2.8~4, 40~80mm with Macro Lens onboard the K-7.

Thanking everyone in advance for any and all assistance.

Tony

6 Days Ago   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote

Thanking everyone in advance for any and all assistance.

Tony
Pictures could help, also which software was used...
6 Days Ago   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
You already see this on the back LCD, no other software needed.
this was a request to Tony to give us more info on the issue at hand...
6 Days Ago   #4
Forum Member

Curiosity question:
Do you have a UV filter on the lense, and does it make a difference if you remove it?
I know that many flowers have a UV component to their display to attract pollenators. I'm wondering if removing the UV would affect those colors that require a blue tint, as in blue and red make purple, etc.

Kirk B.

6 Days Ago   #5
Pentaxian

Aha yes, that Samsung sensor did have issues with red/burgundy/etc. Especially with high contrast lenses - but that Pentax-M lens should have worked better... I remember when I had the DA 21mm on the K20D I thought most of the reds and even the dark orange tones were horrible! It made me end up giving up on the lens at the time, which now I think was a mistake...
Still, it's one thing I don't miss about having a camera with a Samsung sensor...
But on the other hand, the greens were always gorgeous, and the skin tones were the best I've seen on a Pentax camera (depending on lens of course, but generally). I do miss those things.
6 Days Ago   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
After taking a photo go to the custom image you are currently using and try to play with parameter adjust with Saturation and Hue, Hue - is towards pink and HUE + is towards red
By combining this with Saturation you can simulate the color as well as possible
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS M6 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS M6 Mark II  Photo 
6 Days Ago   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is an image of a flower that is a wine or burgundy color.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
6 Days Ago   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is I think a better example. These images are completely unaltered. Thnx. tt

---------- Post added 07-29-20 at 02:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by crazy4oldcars Quote
Curiosity question:
Do you have a UV filter on the lense, and does it make a difference if you remove it?
I know that many flowers have a UV component to their display to attract pollenators. I'm wondering if removing the UV would affect those colors that require a blue tint, as in blue and red make purple, etc.

Kirk B.

Hello Kirk B., and many thanks for your input. Yes, I have a Tiffen, 49mm Sky 1-A Filter.

Cheers. tt

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
5 Days Ago   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Dunno, the exposure looks a bit wonky to me. Did you press the green button?
3 Days Ago   #10
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Re the last picture your red channel is overexposed and therefore clipped. Once you red reached 100% it stopped getting redder but the other colours at that pixel keep increasing hence the off colour. Less exposure.
3 Days Ago   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
Dunno, the exposure looks a bit wonky to me. Did you press the green button?

Yessir, I pressed the Green Button and not a darn thing happened.

tt

---------- Post added 08-01-20 at 11:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Re the last picture your red channel is overexposed and therefore clipped. Once you red reached 100% it stopped getting redder but the other colours at that pixel keep increasing hence the off colour. Less exposure.

The flower is a wine or burgundy color, not red and not pink. This lens and body combination work very well with the other colors, but apparently not these.

Thanks very much for your feedback. )

tt
2 Days Ago   #12
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know I am on a hiding to nothing here but here goes. Wine and Burgundy are lower saturation reds just like Navy is low saturation blue. As you can see by these screenshots they are accepted as being at about 50% red. Your flowers in the shot above are if not actually at 100% red then the are in the 90s. You are probably at least 2 stops overexposed in your shot
All pixels in the gradient shot are at 100% red -- strongest red at the left and that is as dark as 100% red gets. If you want a wine or burgundy they are darker than this - the only way to achieve that is to lower the saturation of red which means lowering your exposure.
Attached Images