Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Days Ago   #1

Pentax K3 and Tamron 70-200mm Sharpness and Quality

Morning to all,

Hopefully I can get some help with this. Last outings with the K3 and 70-200, I have noticed that the quality of the photos look subpar; the focus and sharpness is not there at all. I don't have this issue with my other lenses. I know the reviews on this lens are very high and the K3 should be more than capable. When I shot last, I left it in speed priority. Was out shooting birds, that were perched.

It is really frustrating to see photos from my friends fixed lens $300 camera producing very sharp and spot on focus images from the same outing.

Thank you in advance.

Scott

6 Days Ago   #2
Pentaxian

Some example pictures with intact EXIF infos could help determine if what you see is to be expected or what might have gone wrong. In my limited experience with the lens it can be a bit soft at 200mm at f/2.8, a bit dreamy with glowing halos, but stop it down just half a stop it gets much better and is tack sharp at f/4.
All this if the focus was spot on. Which itself can be a bit difficult at 200mm and f/2.8 and close subjects, even with no front- or back focussing going on. Have you tested the lens in a controlled environment for back-/front focussing issues and calibrated accordingly?
6 Days Ago   #3

Photos: Albums
Tamron 70-200mm

The 70-200mm is a very good lens if you are lucky to have a good one.
First I would check the front and back focus.
Some lens are very bad. This happens to me.
Return the lens or get it repair.
Now this is my best lens for macro and portrait. The DOF is fabulous.
I use it with K-1 II, K-5, KP.
6 Days Ago   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well if you say the focus and sharpness weren't there - the 2nd is a consequence of the first. If it misses focus, yes it will be soft.
It probably need focus adjustment, or you may need to work on your technique - if you let the camera focus without your input, you could be focusing on nearby branches or leaves, etc.
Remember that you are working with a thin depth of field. Your friend with a fixed lens camera probably has a much smaller sensor, so the depth of field is much larger so the focusing will be much easier.

6 Days Ago   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I concur with Ehrwien. My copy is VERY sharp, except for 200mm at f2.8, where it is just plain soft. I also find that stopping down to f4 at 200mm, or zoom to ~175mm or less, and the photos are back to wonderful. Just a quirk of this lens.

I think it is better to shoot in TAv with this lens to avoid the program line choosing f2.8 at 200mm. I set my aperture at f4 minimum if I'm going to the long end, and allow it to be at f2.8 at the shorter end. The green button in TAv sets it to the program line if you want that as a starting point.