Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Days Ago   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Messed-up SD Card and Can I turn off Focal Length Request?

I was out shooting the comet last night with my K-1 (it's getting fainter and fainter, and the moon is getting brighter and brighter - if you want to get NEOWISE before its next appearance in 6800 years or so, better get on it ASAP).

When I went to download my images this morning with a card reader, they didn't seem to be there! I was pretty sure I had reviewed them last night, and even played back a few in the camera, so they should have been there. They were no shows on my computer and in the camera. I took a shot this morning, and that file was there, but the frame number (I use consecutive numbering) was 33 higher than the previous file that was readable. That gave me hope, since that sounded about right for how many frames I would have taken.

Various file recovery programs now seem to have found the missing files, so all is more or less well. I still don't know what happened.

When I first started shooting, I got a "Card Locked" message. I fixed the position of the little slider and put the card back in the camera and got no other messages. I may have fumbled a bit in the dark while inserting the card, but I would have though any resultant malfunctions would result in either another warning and NO pictures being taken, or things would be fine. I may have hit some sort of in-between state.

At any rate, things are fine now. But, has anybody else seen similar happenings?

I will at least re-format the card before using it again, but may well retire it from rotation.

I used three different lenses last night: my old M 50mm 1.7, a somewhat newer A 135mm 2.8, and the much newer D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR. When mounting the 50 and 135, the camera insisted on asking for the focal length - which was totally unnecessary here, since I was doing time exposures on a tripod.

A quick perusal of the manual indicates the only way to avoid the focal length question is to turn off the ability to fire the shutter when a non-A lens is attached (C 26 Using Aperture Ring).

Is this correct? Is there any other way to do this more graciously? It does seem that if you just act like you want to fire the shutter, even just a half-push, you can skip the question. It would be nice to turn it off, though, since I have several of these old lenses, and am sometimes switching back and forth among them.

Even having the camera remember/save whatever value you told it last would be useful, rather than asking EVERYTIME you turn it on.

6 Days Ago   #2
Forum Member

Sometimes the cards glitch. I have anecdotal evidence of people being able to d/l the images via cable from the camera when this happens.
Rather than chance losing what may be once-in-a-lifetime pics? I would retire the card. Not worth the chance.

Kirk B.
5 Days Ago   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
I was out shooting the comet last night with my K-1 (it's getting fainter and fainter, and the moon is getting brighter and brighter - if you want to get NEOWISE before its next appearance in 6800 years or so, better get on it ASAP).

When I went to download my images this morning with a card reader, they didn't seem to be there! I was pretty sure I had reviewed them last night, and even played back a few in the camera, so they should have been there. They were no shows on my computer and in the camera. I took a shot this morning, and that file was there, but the frame number (I use consecutive numbering) was 33 higher than the previous file that was readable. That gave me hope, since that sounded about right for how many frames I would have taken.

Various file recovery programs now seem to have found the missing files, so all is more or less well. I still don't know what happened.

When I first started shooting, I got a "Card Locked" message. I fixed the position of the little slider and put the card back in the camera and got no other messages. I may have fumbled a bit in the dark while inserting the card, but I would have though any resultant malfunctions would result in either another warning and NO pictures being taken, or things would be fine. I may have hit some sort of in-between state.

At any rate, things are fine now. But, has anybody else seen similar happenings?

I will at least re-format the card before using it again, but may well retire it from rotation.

I used three different lenses last night: my old M 50mm 1.7, a somewhat newer A 135mm 2.8, and the much newer D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR. When mounting the 50 and 135, the camera insisted on asking for the focal length - which was totally unnecessary here, since I was doing time exposures on a tripod.

A quick perusal of the manual indicates the only way to avoid the focal length question is to turn off the ability to fire the shutter when a non-A lens is attached (C 26 Using Aperture Ring).

Is this correct? Is there any other way to do this more graciously? It does seem that if you just act like you want to fire the shutter, even just a half-push, you can skip the question. It would be nice to turn it off, though, since I have several of these old lenses, and am sometimes switching back and forth among them.

Even having the camera remember/save whatever value you told it last would be useful, rather than asking EVERYTIME you turn it on.
Hi Dave,

I don’t have a K1 but I just tried tested this on my K5ii. If I turn off shake reduction in the menu, the camera doesn’t ask for a focal length when I turn it on,

Hope that helps,

Mike B
5 Days Ago   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mbceft Quote
If I turn off shake reduction in the menu, the camera doesn’t ask for a focal length when I turn it on,
Hi Mike,

Yeah, I guess that's another option - but then I have to turn it back on when I go to regular shooting, even with my newer lenses which can talk to the camera. On the older cameras, turning on/off SR was easy - there was a dedicated switch. The newer ones are more of a nuisance (although I think that's an option for the rotary switch on the top of the K-1).

I'll investigate.

Thanks,

Dave

5 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cards can get a little strange when pulling them out and putting them back if the camera was still on, if you turned it off first, hmm? I normally download to the computer with a cable.

Not really related but I've noticed when I download via card reader to an ipad and put it back in the camera it says card unformatted. I'm not sure that I noticed this before, maybe it started with one of the latest ipad updates. Not a big deal because I'm going to format before every use anyway.
5 Days Ago   #6

If you turn off SR it should not ask you for a focal length.

PhotoRec is my choice for photo recovery.

Only thoughts I have is perhaps you turned off the power while the camera was still updating the card.
5 Days Ago   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

don't know if it would help or not

here is a forum's article on SD cards

QuoteQuote:
Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers
Become a memory card expert
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Jul 1, 2016

Read more at: Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

there has also been discussion about using the micro SD cards ( which I do from time to time ) and supposed failures of that system

QuoteQuote:
So why not use microSD cards exclusively, along with an adapter? In come cases, smaller isn't better. These tiny cards are more susceptible to physical damage and damage due to heat, plus they're easier to drop or misplace. Well-built full-size cards can be quite resilient; some professional variants are even marketed as waterproof, shockproof, and X-ray proof.
Read more at: Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
5 Days Ago   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Not really related but I've noticed when I download via card reader to an ipad and put it back in the camera it says card unformatted. I'm not sure that I noticed this before, maybe it started with one of the latest ipad updates. Not a big deal because I'm going to format before every use anyway.
I have the same issue. Not sure when it started but I found that if remove the card from the reader while the reader is still connected to my iPad it doesn’t happen. Almost like it needs to be unmounted from iOS file system or it leaves the card in a weird state. YMMV

Mike B

5 Days Ago   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Cards can get a little strange when pulling them out and putting them back if the camera was still on, if you turned it off first, hmm?
Hmm - yes I'm not sure I turned off the camera. Thanks for the warning!

At any rate, I've got all the files recovered, but that card goes in the bin.
5 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Set up a user mode for manual lenses?
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm - yes I'm not sure I turned off the camera. Thanks for the warning!

At any rate, I've got all the files recovered, but that card goes in the bin.
Recovered the files is the good news here!
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sqideyes Quote
Set up a user mode for manual lenses?
Good idea - I'll give that a try - thanks!
5 Days Ago   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the KP, user mode 4 is preset for manual lenses, I don't know if the K-1 is preset the same way, but if it is it would be a good starting point for your own customized settings. I confess that I have not used the user modes too often, although I have set a couple up. It's really a nice feature.
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

On my APS-C cameras, if I just half-press the shutter button the request for focal length goes away and things continue as normal ... however the camera will remember the previously chosen focal length and report this in the EXIF. Also, if you're using the O-GPS1, the tracking needs the focal length to function accurately

Annoyance or feature? YMMV
5 Days Ago   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
On my APS-C cameras, if I just half-press the shutter button the request for focal length goes away and things continue as normal ... however the camera will remember the previously chosen focal length and report this in the EXIF. Also, if you're using the O-GPS1, the tracking needs the focal length to function accurately

Annoyance or feature? YMMV
Yeah - I had discovered the half-press solution, but hadn't noticed that the camera remembers - that's good.

And, for sure, I understand why the focal length is useful/necessary for certain functions. I just find it annoying to have the camera keep asking when I absolutely don't care.