Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Days Ago   #1

Flash Sync

Hi,

I have a flashpoint ring flash and I am using a 2.5mm to PC sync cable. The flash is firing but before the camera takes a picture. Also, when plugged into the camera, the menu settings and buttons freeze and nothing can be changed. Am I missing a setting somewhere on the camera or do I need a different cable? Would a hot shoe to PC sync / 3.5mm cable work better?

I have a Pentax K1 and a Flashpoint RF-400 Ring Li-On.

Thank you.

4 Days Ago   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by connorz Quote
I am using a 2.5mm to PC sync cable.
not sure about a 2.5mm flash port.....there is a pc sync socket on the prism housing on the left (looking from behind the camera).....the plastic cover looks like a gear

believe ya want a pc to pc cord.......

i've only used the 2.5mm port for a trigger cord not flash......
4 Days Ago   #3

Original Poster
I feel like a moron, never even gave that gear a second thought. Thank you.
4 Days Ago   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The tiny screwed plug (and it is screwed, don't just prise it out) over the PC socket on the side of the K1 prism is extremely difficult to remove and extremely easy to lose. I used a pair of jewellers pliers with almost needle points engaged in the teeth of the "gear wheel" to unscrew it, with a worry they could slip and damage the housing. I took the plug off once, put it back, and will never remove it again.

Instead I use an adaptor in the camera hot shoe which has a PC socket for the lead, generic and quite cheap.

3 Days Ago   #5

Original Poster
It was pretty hard to remove. If this cable doesn't work or is just kind of a pain to do, I'll get the hot shoe cable. I'll be using mostly indoors for some studio work, so hopefully won't loose the cap. Thank you!
3 Days Ago   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by connorz Quote
It was pretty hard to remove. If this cable doesn't work or is just kind of a pain to do, I'll get the hot shoe cable. I'll be using mostly indoors for some studio work, so hopefully won't loose the cap
yeh it ain't easy.....hopefully ya caught the note about unscrewing it !!!

good luck...happy shooting!
3 Days Ago   #7

Original Poster
Yep, I got some needle nose pliers and it screwed off nicely! Thanks!