Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2020, 09:15 AM   #1

Problem with K-50

Problem with my K-50 when I turn I get a grinding noise and it will not connect to my computer to download pictures, any help would be appreciated.

08-02-2020, 09:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The noise might be the sensor cleaning system doing its job. It's easy to check by disabling the sensor cleaning in the menus. If the noise goes away, it means it's that and perfectly normal. It's then yours to decide if you want to keep it on or off. Although the noise isn't a big problem compared to a dirty sensor...

To download pictures it's usually better to use a card reader. Is the camera turned on when you try transfering the pictures ?
08-02-2020, 10:29 AM   #3

File transfer connection problems are usually cause by cable or port problems try a different cable and/or port. Also try changing the the Transfer Mode setting in the camera's setup menu.

I don't recall if the K-30 uses a standard USB connector or one with a non-standard connector found on many cameras. If it is a standard USB connector make sure the cable is a data cable and not a charging only cable.
08-02-2020, 02:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
To download pictures it's usually better to use a card reader.
Absolutely. They are inexpensive and widely-sold, in addition to being easy to use. They connect via USB, and then you can already have a new folder made and named to select for your download. And welcome to the forum!

08-03-2020, 02:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-30 uses a standard midi-USB output named "video" which should work fine if healthy.

Changing USB transfer (Menu wrench symbol - 2) can work:

PTP = Picture Transfer Protocol is supported since XP days. MSC = Mass Storage Class is the factorysetting and probably what is trying to load a driver.

If it is an old computer: You need DCU installed for MSC, if your Windows install doesn't automatically find a driver for it. But then this would mean it hasn't worked before.

Switch to PTP or .... if the camera is already in PTP then switch it to MSC. If that doesn't work, switch back again!
Maybe that will solve it.

Use a port directly on your computer and not something attached to some hub or similar like an USB connection on your monitor!

Try also USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports if available!

External card-readers are not only better/faster/more convinient but protect your camera.
Every USB port can go wrong if used often. Contacts wear off, can bend or even broken contacts inside the camera.

As it was mentioned, an external cardreader is cheap. So before you buy another cable you are better of with a card-reader.

The noice when turning the K30 is most likely the antishake of the sensor, can be quite loud with your K-30.
08-03-2020, 08:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

BTW, if you have a laptop there’s a good chance it already has a slot to read SD cards. So you might not even need to buy a card reader!
08-03-2020, 11:56 AM   #7

Original Poster
The noise might be the sensor cleaning system doing its job. It's easy to check by disabling the sensor cleaning in the menus. If the noise goes away, it means it's that and perfectly normal. It's then yours to decide if you want to keep it on or off. Although the noise isn't a big problem compared to a dirty sensor...

To download pictures it's usually better to use a card reader. Is the camera turned on when you try transfering the pictures ?
I did solve the problem of downloading my pictures, I concluded that the cord was not inserted properly. As far as the grinding noise when I turn on my camera I have no idea what is causing that, I gave my camera a good cleaning hoping that would help but sound is still there when I first turn on the camera. Any idea what could be causing this?

---------- Post added 08-03-20 at 12:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
File transfer connection problems are usually cause by cable or port problems try a different cable and/or port. Also try changing the the Transfer Mode setting in the camera's setup menu.

I don't recall if the K-30 uses a standard USB connector or one with a non-standard connector found on many cameras. If it is a standard USB connector make sure the cable is a data cable and not a charging only cable.
Thank you for reply, did solve the downloading problem, cord was not inserted all the way. I am more concerned about the grinding sound when I first turn on my camera, do you have any thoughts about what could be causing this to happen?

---------- Post added 08-03-20 at 12:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Absolutely. They are inexpensive and widely-sold, in addition to being easy to use. They connect via USB, and then you can already have a new folder made and named to select for your download. And welcome to the forum!
Thank you.

08-03-2020, 12:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

As mentioned above, the noise can be the sensor automatic cleaning feature which is quite noisy on the k-50. By default it will clean the sensor every time the camera is turned on. To clean the sensor, the camera rapidly shakes it, giving a unusual noise which can be described as grinding noise.
You can go in the camera menu and deactivate this feature and check if the noise is still there. If you don’t hear it when the feature is off it will confirm that what you heard was the sensor cleaning and perfectly normal.
08-04-2020, 02:33 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in case the OP doesn't have the operating manual, here is a link:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-50.pdf

pg 266 might be helpful
08-05-2020, 12:04 PM   #10

Original Poster
As mentioned above, the noise can be the sensor automatic cleaning feature which is quite noisy on the k-50. By default it will clean the sensor every time the camera is turned on. To clean the sensor, the camera rapidly shakes it, giving a unusual noise which can be described as grinding noise.
You can go in the camera menu and deactivate this feature and check if the noise is still there. If you don’t hear it when the feature is off it will confirm that what you heard was the sensor cleaning and perfectly normal.
I went into Sensor Cleaner in menu and there was Mirror up and Cancel I tried on both modes but grinder sound still there.
08-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is not the correct part in the menu:

Page 266 it says:

- wrench symbol and there on page 4
- select "dust removal"
- untick any square which is ticked!

This ways the sensor-cleaner which "shakes the sensor" is not activated anymore

It possibly has one of those squares ticked.

The other sound you hear when you turn your camera you must hear! It is the Antishake = Shake-Reduction

You can switch that one off:
Page 41

Page 116 + 117

Also understand: If the shake-reduction is ON (which is sensible in general except certain situations)
you must know that when you press the release button half to take a photo, you need to wait a second until you press the release-button fully down!
The shake-reduction needs time to "unshake" !
08-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MaryLouise Quote
I went into Sensor Cleaner in menu and there was Mirror up and Cancel I tried on both modes but grinder sound still there.
Sorry, the exact term isn't Sensor but "Dust Removal", in the same menu.

You can then select the system to activate when the camera turns on or off or both.
08-05-2020, 02:44 PM   #13

Original Poster
Sorry, the exact term isn't Sensor but "Dust Removal", in the same menu.

You can then select the system to activate when the camera turns on or off or both.
Thank you so much, this was exactly the problem. Love this forum!

---------- Post added 08-05-20 at 02:47 PM ----------

I know that I am to get rid of this post or do something once my problem has been solved, could you help me with this, and thanks again, I was really worried that something major was wrong with the camera.
08-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you so much, this was exactly the problem. Love this forum! . . .

I know that I am to get rid of this post or do something once my problem has been solved, could you help me with this, and thanks again, I was really worried that something major was wrong with the camera.
as far as I know there is no need to get rid of the thread

it might end up being helpful to someone else down the road

glad you figured it out
08-05-2020, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

---------- Post added 08-05-20 at 02:47 PM ----------

BTW, unless the noise is really bothering you it's better to leave the setting active. It's way less troublesome to have some noise when the camera is turned on than to have dust appearing on the pictures.