Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2020, 01:47 AM   #1

Pentax KM/K200 AutoFocus stopped working

HI all,

I have a Pentax KM/K200 with a Tamron lens. I have had the camera for 5 years and never had an issue till now.

I was happily taking photos of a swarm of beautiful kites and the AutoFocus stopped working. I assumed that this was down to the battery levels getting low ( as this is what happens). However, after charging the batteries, by AF still does not work.

I have pressed the AF button several times, although nothing comes up on the display or anything, the display just turns off and on. Unfortunately I do not have another lens, to test if it's that.

I am happy taking manual focused so its not a huge bother, I just like the AF feature when I have gone for a walk and don't want to wear my contact lenses. Its then hard to manual focus as it looks in focus to my bad eyes, but when I look on my PC its as blurry as anything. The AF helps my poor eyesight!

08-04-2020, 02:03 AM   #2

Did you by chance switch the camera from AF to MF?
08-04-2020, 02:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it isn't the switched off AF-M Button on the side which was accidently switched off, then it might be the screwdrive-motor.
This motor is pretty weak in the K-m/K2000 (the K200D is a completly different Pentax!).

Same motor in the K-x as well, which had Live-View as well. If one used an AF-lens on the Kx such as even the old Tamron 28-200 and Live-View together, the motor could hardly move the screwdrivemechanism of larger/longer lenses.

Another possibility is that the mechanism in the lens itself is damaged. But this you only can find out if you have another AF-lens.

If so, time to get a more modern camera. The K-S1 is also very small and can be found pretty cheap. Hell of a camera for the money.
08-04-2020, 06:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
If so, time to get a more modern camera. The K-S1 is also very small and can be found pretty cheap. Hell of a camera for the money.
I agree with this... I upgraded my K-r (same body format basically as the K-m) to the K-S1 because the AF was pretty weak and the viewfinder was a bit too small... and never looked back. The K-S1 feels a tiny bit heavier despite being an even smaller camera than the K-m/K-x/K-r, but that's the price for that beautiful bright big pentaprism (same as the K-3).

Though I have to say I also picked up a K200D recently, and I think it's a superior camera to the K-m (haven't had a K-m so I can't tell for sure) - it feels great in the hands, has weather sealing and the top display, and has that beautiful CCD sensor that I like to use for a lot of things.