Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2020, 10:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

K3 II Freezing - Bad card?

I suspect I have an SD card issue... It's random but the camera will randomly lock up after taking a photo (while writing to the SD card). The display shows it's writing but it never shows the review image. Getting the camera usable requires removing the battery (turning it off has no effect). When turning it on, the last image is corrupt.

Card 1 - JPG - 64GB PNY Elite Performance

Card 2 - RAW - 128GB SanDisk Extreme Pro

I could just replace both but I'd prefer to know which one is actually bad (and hopefully a warranty replacement). Both cards have been formatted in the camera without any change.

Any software which can scan and determine which card is failing (I didn't keep the Rescue Pro code from SanDisk)?

08-04-2020, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The one that is actually bad is the one that is in the slot that is being written to.

Have you tried using the SD Association format utility to do an out-of-camera format? Their tool does a deep (overwrite) free from any device or computer OS related quirks. Format using the "overwrite" option and then do an in-camera format. With any luck, that may clear up your problems.

SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association

Hint: When copying files from the card, it may be helpful to manually unmount or eject before removing cable/card or turning off the camera, if cabled. Doing so may prevent future problems.

For data recovery, Sandisk still offers free demo versions of Rescuepro...

Data recovery for memory cards and flash drives

Steve
08-04-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
The camera saves to both cards at once. One activity light. So no idea which one is being written to when it freezes. I should check to see if one is missing a file...

I haven't tried the SD Association format. I'll give that a go.

Yes, failure to eject causes a list of problems. I've been known to smack hands over skipping that step...

I saw the trial but it's data recovery software. I don't need recovery, just testing. Or does it also test cards to determine failure?

---------- Post added 08-04-20 at 05:57 PM ----------

And there we go, I'm missing 1 RAW photo from when I had an issue. I should have thought about that sooner... So it's apparently the 128GB SanDisk having issues. Of course with an issue every few hundred photos, it may be a while before I know if the SD Association format resolved the issue. Still looking for a testing tool to verify the card is good / bad as opposed to just waiting to see.
08-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
The camera saves to both cards at once. One activity light. So no idea which one is being written to when it freezes.
1. That because it is set by menu, change settings and choose either slot 1 or 2.

I suspect I have an SD card issue...
I solved it by formatting the two cards in the incriminated slot.

The program to test the speed, not to format, can be found here: Crystalmark

Bye Mario

08-04-2020, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #5

Use only one card at a time and try it in either slot. Which ever card causes the freeze up is the culprit. Or use SD Formatter with the full option as recommended by stevebrot. If the card has write errors SD Formatter will catch them. Do a full format as a Quick Format will not catch write errors.
08-04-2020, 02:35 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Still looking for a testing tool to verify the card is good / bad as opposed to just waiting to see.
As noted above, the SD Association format utility probably does a full check of the card as part of the format. However, if you just want to check a disk with no risk to its data and you are running Windows, you might try running chkdsk from the command line in a terminal window to do a thorough evaluation of the card. Here are brief instructions:
  1. Mount the card to your computer using your normal method.
  2. Get access to the command prompt. There are various ways to do this, depending on windows version. On Windows 10, one way is:
    1. Click on search and enter "cmd"
    2. Under "Best Match" there should be a result, "Command Prompt". Click this to open a terminal window with a command prompt. I know this looks old-school, but don't be intimidated.
    The process is similar with other Windows versions.
  3. Run chkdsk with the "r" option. This will check for and fix system errors, will recover bad files (if possible) and will also identify and mark bad sectors. To do:
    1. Type "chckdsk {drivespec} /r" where drivespec is the drive identifier for the card (example, "chkdsk H: /r") and press <Enter>
    2. The computer will read the card and provide a concise record of what it is doing, ending with a description of what the program found and did.
Close the terminal window by either typing "exit" or by "x-ing" out. In case you are wondering; yes, this is the same chckdsk program that is used for doing a full check of a harddrive or SSD.

Steve
08-04-2020, 03:42 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As noted above, the SD Association format utility probably does a full check of the card as part of the format. However, if you just want to check a disk with no risk to its data and you are running Windows, you might try running chkdsk from the command line in a terminal window to do a thorough evaluation of the card. Here are brief instructions:

Steve
You work IT? Already did that and there's no issue with the file system. CHKDSK, SFC, DISM, and S.M.A.R.T. are my standard tools for troubleshooting file systems & drive issues, Unfortunately there's no S.M.A.R.T. equivalent for SD cards.

SD Association didn't appear to check the card, just a full format. The GUI was just a progress bar so I'm guessing. Cards are back in the camera and were formatted there to make sure it's what the camera likes.

Hopped on Amazon and found a name brand 128GB UHS3 SD for $20 (I know, the K3 II isn't UHS3). Not really worth the effort for a $20 card but curiosity is keeping my attention because I want to know what, if anything, is wrong with it. Hopefully the format resolved the issue but I have no way of knowing without going out and taking 1,000 photos (maybe that's an excuse to go take 1,000 photos?).

---------- Post added 08-04-20 at 11:41 PM ----------

Rescue Pro says nothing about scanning the disk surface. All it appears to do is recovery files due to file system corruption or bad sectors so I skipped it If it does more, they need to add it to their site.

I did come across AOMEI Partition Assistant which has a surface scan feature. It says the SD surface is good. So I guess I'll run with it and hope it's correct. I haven't used AOMEI products so I can't attest to their accuracy...
08-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You work IT? Already did that and there's no issue with the file system. CHKDSK, SFC, DISM, and S.M.A.R.T. are my standard tools for troubleshooting file systems & drive issues, Unfortunately there's no S.M.A.R.T. equivalent for SD cards.
Not currently, and definitely part of the mix, but not desktop in the last few decades.

Rescue Pro says nothing about scanning the disk surface.
The only reason I gave the link is because you said you lost the install. I have no idea what it does other than the obvious.

It sounds like you have the card stuff in hand. That said, I suspect the K-3II "freeze" is coincidental to the file corruption.

Steve

08-04-2020, 07:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i did have similar freezing some times with a 128GB on K1. Ever since I just use the 64 GB version never seen that problem again. I used the same brand/type, so at the time I suspected that the 128GB capacity is not supported, but I am not sure.
08-05-2020, 04:22 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
i did have similar freezing some times with a 128GB on K1. Ever since I just use the 64 GB version never seen that problem again. I used the same brand/type, so at the time I suspected that the 128GB capacity is not supported, but I am not sure.
Interesting. I wouldn't consider 128GB to be anything special but I've seen several cameras with weird limits. Unfortunately Ricoh doesn't list supported card sizes.
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-3-2/spec/

They do list capacity (photos per card) and the largest card listed is 32GB. I don't recall if the card worked fine at first or if the issue started when I got the card.

08-05-2020, 09:22 AM   #11
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting. I wouldn't consider 128GB to be anything special but I've seen several cameras with weird limits. Unfortunately Ricoh doesn't list supported card sizes.
Logically speaking, the maximum capacity is up to 2TB for SDXC (Secure Digital eXtended Capacity) capacities from 64GB up to 2TB.

I have never seen them, the biggest capacity that I use is 128GB.
08-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

My K-3 II occasionally freezes but I don't think its SD card related. Seems to remember its quite a common issue with the model. If I remember correctly it usually happens with pixelshift,lv or review so might be a different issue.
08-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use a 128GB card on a K-1, and the same card on a K-3 II. No problems in either case. I suspect 128GB cards are officially supported.
08-05-2020, 01:45 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
My K-3 II occasionally freezes but I don't think its SD card related. Seems to remember its quite a common issue with the model. If I remember correctly it usually happens with pixelshift,lv or review so might be a different issue.
Wasn't using either of those. It started about a year ago so it hasn't always been an issue. Maybe a half dozen times total but always seems to be when someone is watching. Maybe it's just performance anxiety?

08-05-2020, 03:18 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I thought there was a cited issue with that. Is your firmware up-to-date?