Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-07-2020, 01:54 AM   #1

Pentax 67 film spool screw not spinning when advancing the lever

Hey guys! I'm really new to my Pentax 67. I have used one film in this and it loaded fine the first time. I am now trying to load it again and the film spool won't spin when I put this in the right side and try and load my film onto it. When I take the spool out and crank the camera I can see the screw is spinning but the two bits that stick out to catch the film spool doesn't spin with it? Anyone else had this problem? I really hope it's something that is fixable!

08-07-2020, 03:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Apparently this is fixable. Maybe something has jammed, got into the rewind mechanism and jammed it? Watch closely again, you may notice something.
The camera is old enough, the part may need replacement or repair. If so, you need to contact a specialized service (if possible).
08-07-2020, 09:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cwhite98 Quote
Hey guys! I'm really new to my Pentax 67. I have used one film in this and it loaded fine the first time. I am now trying to load it again and the film spool won't spin when I put this in the right side and try and load my film onto it. When I take the spool out and crank the camera I can see the screw is spinning but the two bits that stick out to catch the film spool doesn't spin with it? Anyone else had this problem? I really hope it's something that is fixable!
Ensure that the nibs are firmly engaged in top and bottom slots of the take-up spool. If they are not, you will see the nibs move but not the spool.

Likewise, also ensure that the leader is engaged with the tang on the take-up spool and wind it one or two times just to make sure. If, with no film loaded you use the wind-on lever and can positively observe the upper nib moving (the lower nib does not move when no film is loaded), then the problem is with the loading.
08-08-2020, 05:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses, really appreciate it!

The nibs on the sproket don't move at all when the spool is out when I wind it. I can see the screw is moving on the top right sproket but the upper nib just doesn't rotate with it so when I put the spool in, it doesn't spin the sproket. I really have no idea what I've done, it was working fine when I loaded the film last. Really frustrating

08-08-2020, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, I can imagine it is very frustrating.
Try this to verify the serviceability of the winding mechanism.
With no spool in the chamber, hold the top spool nib (gently) and rotate the wind-on lever. If no resistance is felt when you hold the top nib and use the wind-on lever, then there is likely a slipped or broken pawl in the winding mechanism. An oblique possibility is that the top nib is not fastened by its own screw and is rotating freely and independently of the wind-on gear. A slipped or broken pawl very common and can be indicative of degradation through age of the camera (particularly the 1969-era Pentax 6x7) or the later (1989-) Pentax 67, which had significant improvements to the winding mechanism over its predecessor.