Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-70 Interval Shooting

Just got a new K-70 and ready to start astrophotography
M setting only one to allow INT option
INT options are: Interval, Number of Shots, Start interval
My question regards Interval (time from start of photo to start of next photo); if you enter 30 sec how does the camera know each interval is 25 sec exposure, 5 sec to next photo start OR 20 sec exposure, 10 sec to next photo start?

08-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi and welcome!

The interval shooting menu is the same thing as though you're mashing the shutter button only on a timer.
It's totally blind to whatever your Manual exposure settings are.

So if you set your interval to 30 seconds, and your manual shutter speed is 25 seconds, there'll be 5 seconds of gap before the next one
However, if you set your interval to shorter than the shutter speed (say 20 seconds, and your shutter speed is 25 seconds), it would shoot for the 25 seconds, then the next interval would be missed since the exposure is still going, but it'll pick you back up at the next 2x20 = 40 second interval.

Now keep in mind if the 2nd thing happens, you only get half the number of frames you set your intervalometer for because it's missing every other one.
08-07-2020, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Think of the interval function as a stupid assistant that will mash the camera's shutter button for you every 30 seconds (or whatever number you enter). If the camera is done with the previous shot when the assistant hits the button, the camera will take the next shot. If the camera is NOT done with the previous shot when the assistant hits the button, the camera will NOT take the next shot (but the dumb assistant will count the attempt against the "number of shots' setting).

Thus you'll want to ensure that the interval time you enter is larger that the shutter time plus processing time (usually a few seconds depending on your post-processing settings). Don't forget that if you have long shutter time noise reduction enabled, the camera will need double the shutter time between intervals.

(Note: for obscure historical reasons, a 30 second shutter speed is really 32 seconds long and "15 sec" is 16 seconds!)

Interval shooting can be a lot of fun but it takes a bit of testing to get it right.
08-07-2020, 01:04 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

08-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks everyone! I guess my question is: with INT how do you set the shutter exposure time?
08-07-2020, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #6
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigWA Quote
thanks everyone! I guess my question is: with INT how do you set the shutter exposure time?
Use the shutter speed dial. The Dumb Assistant {intervalometer} only controls the time between shutter clicks.

When shooting star trails photosets, I set my camera for the longest shutter speed it will do, 30 seconds, I set the apertures somewhere between f6 and f10 (experiment), ISO from 100 to 600 (again, experiment). I set the interval for 40 seconds, giving the camera time to store the image data without overrunning the buffer.

I also use manual lenses, almost exclusively. Prefocus, use a long and somewhat overexposed shot to double check the focus, then leave it alone. Gaffer's tape helps here, especially when using some older lenses that have well worn focusing helicoids.

Oh, and welcome to the forums, from another resident of the Pacific Northwet.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 08-07-2020 at 03:31 PM.
08-07-2020, 05:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

the shortest amount of time between shots is 2 seconds with interval shooting........

when i do star trails i set the interval time = exposure time + 2seconds......i.e. 20 second exposure interval is equal to 22 seconds.......25 seconds interval set to 27 seconds....30 seconds set interval to 32 seconds.......

it's been a good lil while but used to do sunset time lapse using Av mode......would set the interval anywhere between 15 to 30 seconds......since i would only go about 15 minutes after sunset the exposure would never exceed the 15 to 30 seconds to worrying about an overlap in time......

Last edited by Aaron28; 08-07-2020 at 07:08 PM.
08-07-2020, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're doing star trails, I'd really encourage you not to use the built-in intervalometer.

By default, you're only capturing 93% of the trails (30/32) and thus will have tiny slices of gaps in between your stars.

What I recommend instead is to get a $10 wired remote. Set your exposure settings however you please, then flip the Drive mode to Continuous (H/M/L, doesn't matter). When you're ready to go, use the button lock on the wired remote, and let it go until you think you're done.

It'll shoot those 30 second frames over and over with unrecognizably small gaps in your star trails when you merge them all together.

08-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
What I recommend instead is to get a $10 wired remote. Set your exposure settings however you please, then flip the Drive mode to Continuous (H/M/L, doesn't matter). When you're ready to go, use the button lock on the wired remote, and let it go until you think you're done.

It'll shoot those 30 second frames over and over with unrecognizably small gaps in your star trails when you merge them all together.
Well, that is an interesting variation that I had never thought of.

Steve