Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

D-LI90 vs D-LI90P

I have a K3, and I just got a used D-LI90P battery from ebay. It was supposed to be a D-LI90 (no P), which is the battery that came with my K3. From my research on the forums, the P is the newer of the two and is due to Japanese safety regulations. I also found this post in the reviews of the D-LI90 battery on the forum from DonThomaso:

QuoteQuote:
Old charger D-LI90 will only charge D-LI90
New charger D-LI90P will charge both D-LI90 and D-LI90P

There are plastic grooves on the D-LI90P battery which makes it impossible to even fit in in the older D-LI90 charger. My K-01 was supplied with the new charger and battery, my original K-5 came with the old charger and battery.
Read more at: Pentax D-LI90 Rechargeable Battery for K-1, K-3, K-5, K-7, K-01 and 645D reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

BUT I was able to easily connect the D-LI90P to my D-BC90 charger. It doesn't slide right on like the D-LI90, but it will click in if you line the tabs and openings up.

Anyone know of any danger of charging the D-LI90P with my D-BC90 charger? And can I use the D-LI90P in my K3?

Last edited by tncowdaddy; 08-10-2020 at 11:21 AM. Reason: left out second question
08-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is the battery life the same?
08-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I assume the new style will come with the K-new if it uses the same battery. I am wondering why they created this incompatibility.
08-10-2020, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I assume the new style will come with the K-new if it uses the same battery. I am wondering why they created this incompatibility.
The incompatibility is with the old-style chargers. If a new body ships with the "P" (4-contact) version it will include a backward-compatible charger. FWIW, the "P" version has been with us since 2012 and is a regional requirement in Japan. All camera makers rolled out similar batteries back then for the home market. Unless one buys gray market or lives in Japan, it is unlikely any of us will ever see one of these batteries.

Steve

08-10-2020, 07:37 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The incompatibility is with the old-style chargers. If a new body ships with the "P" (4-contact) version it will include a backward-compatible charger. FWIW, the "P" version has been with us since 2012 and is a regional requirement in Japan. All camera makers rolled out similar batteries back then for the home market. Unless one buys gray market or lives in Japan, it is unlikely any of us will ever see one of these batteries.

Steve
Well that makes sense why I can't find any info about them and why the no-P version is still being used in newer cameras. It also makes sense why the warnings on my battery are not in English, like with my non-P version. Have you heard any problems with using the P batteries in cameras that use the no-P batteries? I went ahead and charged it on my non-P charger and it didn't blow up or anything.
08-10-2020, 08:11 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tncowdaddy Quote
Well that makes sense why I can't find any info about them and why the no-P version is still being used in newer cameras. It also makes sense why the warnings on my battery are not in English, like with my non-P version. Have you heard any problems with using the P batteries in cameras that use the no-P batteries? I went ahead and charged it on my non-P charger and it didn't blow up or anything.
My understanding is the battery specs are identical. As such my main concern would be attempting to force-fit a P-version into a physically incompatible charger. Whether there is a wiring incompatibility as well is hard to say except that interlocks are generally done for a reason.

For the benefit of readers, both batteries and chargers as included in a 2012 thread are pictured below:

From: New battery charger D-BC90P and new battery D-LI90P - why? - PentaxForums.com

Steve
08-13-2020, 12:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is very interesting that some very old orig. Pentax Li-Ion batteries from K10D days still work fine.
This seems to be due to the fact, that Japanese made cells were used.
We can find those steps:

- made in Japan
- cell made in Japan, pack-assembled in China
- made in China

I have D-BC90's with Japan cells from my K5IIs and still in great shape.

Of course the 4-th contact is for more security.
But I never had ever any problem with orig. D-BC90's and if 'd have the choice, I keep those with "made in Japan" cells.

Non-originals always disappointed me, particular when older than 1 year.
I once opened both, an original and non-original: The original had superior components. The non-original lacked the NTC 10K Thermistor (protection against overheating) and the polyswitch (auto-protection against short-circuit or too high current)
That's why the cheap chargers have only 2 contacts! I would never use any of those ever.

Last edited by photogem; 08-13-2020 at 12:40 AM.