Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2020, 12:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Is there a body with Manual Focus Length setting of 60mm?

I like the Helios 44M 58mm. My K5 does not have 60mm setting so I use 55mm instead. Is there any Pentax DSLR, in production or not, that has 60mm setting for manual focus lenses?

08-13-2020, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Not helpful, but the Q lets you do increments of one. I was surprised when I got my K-1 and it couldn't. Ultimately it's just for sensor stabilization so as long as you're in the ballpark it's fine.
08-13-2020, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-5 IIs, a K-S1, and a pair of K-3's.... none of them will allow individual focal length settings

I use 55mm for all of my 58's and my 60mm lenses....
08-13-2020, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

To join the chorus...The answer is (sadly), no. It would be nice to be able to add a limited number of custom values, at very least so that the EXIF would be more accurate. Come to think of it, how about allowing storage of a limited number custom lenses? I believe Nikon supports that for some models.

Steve

08-13-2020, 09:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder just how precise the SR mechanism is. Could a difference of 3mm between the lens's claimed focal length and the camera setting make much of a difference? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I say 'claimed' FL because I've read here on PF that some lens's stated FL isn't truly, accurately what it actually measures on an optics bench. So, is there a 3mm difference in reality? More? Less? Yes, you want the camera setting as close as possible to the supposed FL of the lens, but choosing a slightly faster shutter speed or using a monopod may have more effect. I bet a bigger factor governing shake reduction is how much coffee you've consumed. Don't get me wrong; SR is wonderful and can be very effective. I just wonder how much we should sweat over a few millimeters.
08-13-2020, 09:44 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I just wonder how much we should sweat over a few millimeters.
It probably makes little difference in regards to SR, but makes a difference in the reported focal length in the EXIF. Many of us that shoot with non-AF lenses use focal length from the EXIF as a memory crutch to help us remember what lens was used for a particular shot so that we can edit the EXIF later to include full lens information and/or for tagging in our content management systems. Having 60mm as a choice would be useful for those days when both the Rikenon 55/1.4 and Helios-44M 58/2.0 are in the mix.

Steve
08-14-2020, 01:11 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just wonder how much we should sweat over a few millimeters.
We shouldn't

There is another thread about SR going on where the question arises about where one should set the SR FL with a manual zoom ? The ideal answer of course is to set it each time to the FL you are using. Where that is impractical or simply too time consuming I suggest setting it at the lowest zoom setting you are likely to use. This is because over-compensation can induce blur whereas under-compensation will not. But I am talking about significant differences in FL settings like 85 versus 150 or 200.

Where the exact FL of your lens is not available in the menu just set the closest. With an 80mm lens using 75 or 85 SR setting will make no difference. As others have noted, the described FL of a lens is often not exact, and there is also the question of focus breathing to take into account where at close focus the FL of a lens can actually change. None of this will make the SR less effective as long as you use the closest SR setting.

Last edited by pschlute; 08-14-2020 at 03:00 AM.
08-14-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
t probably makes little difference in regards to SR, but makes a difference in the reported focal length in the EXIF.
Yeah, that's a significant consideration. Since I don't have a large collection of lenses, I'm more frustrated not knowing what f-stop I used with a manual lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
We shouldn't

It was just a rhetorical question. When I've used my Tokina SZ-X 80-200mm manual lens with my K-5IIs I've generally tried to prevent motion blur with an appropriate shutter speed since I'm too lazy to change the camera SR FL for each shot. Or I would set it to 200mm since I knew that's what I would be using. Now that I have a KP I have lots of usable ISO to work with. But I might get better IQ with low ISO, and relying on SR to compensate for slower shutter speeds. Hmmm.......where is that sweet spot?
08-15-2020, 04:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps not. I say 'claimed' FL because I've read here on PF that some lens's stated FL isn't truly, accurately what it actually measures on an optics bench.
Aper-Sure is correct. For many years, Pop Photo's lab during the film era made measuring actual focal length and the actual maximum aperture as standard lab practice in lens testing. No longer done, but it did show inaccuracy to be quite common, though not always so. The products were often not as fast of aperture as claimed or not as telephoto or wide angle as claimed, but not far off enough to be illegal. I do recall their testing being revealing as to the reason behind the odd focal lengths of the FA Limited primes- honesty. They could have claimed the FA 77mm f/1.8 for example to be 80mm or even 85mm and get away with it, but instead gave the actual value, which tested right on.
08-15-2020, 04:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm more frustrated not knowing what f-stop I used with a manual lens.
ditto that !! especially when i use my 'blocked' K-50 with 'a' or newer lenses.......but would be sweet with older manual glass as well
08-15-2020, 04:59 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
No longer done, but it did show inaccuracy to be quite common, though not always so.
Focal length is a bit difficult for optical bench testing in that infinity focus (the position of the focus ring at its infinity stop) is often far short of "infinity" with even the intented focus distance being somewhat arbitrary (e.g. 2000x the nominal focal length) such that none of my 28mm lenses focus past about 55 meters. That is somewhat forgivable since the focus systems on my cameras (AF or optical) are unable to detect the difference between that and a kilometer at that magnification.

Steve
08-15-2020, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm more frustrated not knowing what f-stop I used with a manual lens.
Ansel Adams kept a notebook...

Steve
08-16-2020, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I almost mentioned above that I do keep a notepad in my camera bag. It's designed that you can even write on it in the rain! (Weather Maxx All-Weather Notepad from Lowes.) But when I'm out doodling around the yard with my M50mm/f1.7 mounted I never bother to grab it. Just taking a few misc. shots, you know. My frustration is based on my laziness, not on that fine lens. If I was out on a serious shoot, wearing my photographer's vest, the notepad would be in one of the pockets.