Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Water proofing or protection

Not sure i am posting this in the right place and could not find a thread on this subject, i am new to both pentax and kayaking, but i want to take my camera long for island hopping, and photos on the water, what do you guys suggest to protect the camera incase of roll over (full submersed) and water splashes(gone for a swim)?

Last edited by TMcDaniel; 08-21-2020 at 10:51 AM.
08-21-2020, 10:35 AM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TMcDaniel Quote
i am new to both pentax and kayaking, but i want to take my camera long for island hopping, and photos on the water, what do you guys suggest to protect the camera incase of roll over and water splashes,?
Hi,

Pentax are known for their weather resistance, (I don't know if there is a custom-made one) but if I could find a shell it would certainly be much wiser.
An example for the K3 here, it's a bit expensive but certainly reliable even for diving.

Link: Case Reflex

Ciao Mario
08-21-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

A weather-resistant body coupled with weather-resistant ("WR" designated) lens is fine for light rain and splashes. Just be sure to wipe the whole thing down occasionally, as standing water around joins and seals is where you're most likely to suffer ingress. Also, if it's salt water, it can corrode some metal parts (even painted ones) over time if not wiped off.

As for a roll-over, the best protection would be afforded by an underwater photography housing designed for your specific camera and lens. You might get away with just a water resistant body and an "AW" all-weather lens if submerged very, very briefly, but there's no guarantee. Weather resistance in cameras and lenses is really designed to reduce the chance of ingress from splashes, rain, dust etc. - and it's not guaranteed weather proofing - merely increased resistance

Note that if you use a weather-resistant body with a non-weather-resistant lens, all bets are off. That said, I've had very light rain on my old, non-weather-resistant *ist DL before, and with regular wiping to remove standing water, there have been no problems. YMMV, though.

I'd recommend you read the following thread by fellow member @stevebrot - there's lots of useful info from Steve and others:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/351252-about-th...-practice.html
08-21-2020, 10:51 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Hi,

Pentax are known for their weather resistance, (I don't know if there is a custom-made one) but if I could find a shell it would certainly be much wiser.
An example for the K3 here, it's a bit expensive but certainly reliable even for diving.

Link: Case Reflex

Ciao Mario
omg thanks just what i was looking for,

08-21-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I expect to dunk the camera I take a real underwater film camera--the Nikon Nikonos III w/ the 35mm f/2.5 (amphibious) lens. It is fast to operate, has a huge viewfinder, and is super reliable. The later version V has light meter and should be fine (don't get the version IV).

---------- Post added 08-21-20 at 03:18 PM ----------

BTW a waterproof container slows usage down and adds several pounds (the above referenced one adds about 6 lbs), so it really is not usable above water where there is no buoyant effect.

I have tried a point and shoot WP one (that was highly rated) and found it to be terrible. If I wanted digital, given the constraints, I would likely purchase a cheap used WR Pentax (K-S1?) and the WR kit lens, and not expect it to survive the whole trip.

Last edited by dms; 08-21-2020 at 03:22 PM.
08-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used a rain cover when I was at Niagara falls. I'm sure my k-1 and 15-30 could take it, but the cover gave me a piece of mind, plus it was like $20 or something like that
08-21-2020, 06:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Although I have a lot of faith in Pentax weather resistance, for full submersion Not so much. For activities that may end in a serious dunking, I use cameras designed for it. Fuji XP70 or Gopro is what I have.

08-21-2020, 07:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They make "dry bags" just for such accidents. These are zippable and totally waterproof which is what you want. No camera, no matter how "water resistant" will take a dunking and survive without issues. Most sports shops who deal in water sports carry these. Get a good one and not a cheepie. You will save money in the long-run should your equipment take a swim Don't forget to seal it as an unzipped dry bag isn't any good.
08-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #9
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
When I expect to dunk the camera I take a real underwater film camera--the Nikon Nikonos III w/ the 35mm f/2.5 (amphibious) lens.
Since I had Nikon, the reference point has always been the Nikonos not such a model, but the Nikonos, robust and very reliable.
08-21-2020, 08:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Pelican Storm Case for traveling by boat, I haven't been on a Kayak but I will use the Pelican when I do use one. When I get to the island destination I'll take it out to use it and put it back when finished and ready to leave. But if I'm shooting from a boat I will have my camera and lens secured with a strap and in my hands. If there are a lot of waves I'll probably not use it on the boat. But you can sometimes get some good wildlife opportunities from boats. I do hope to have a kayak sometime in the future, I would travel across busy waters with the gear in the case, then use it where you are protected from boat wakes, I guess where I want to go is in the marshes.
08-21-2020, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

For a small camera, I use this for my Olympus XA when I'm on water: a Sea To Summit Dry Sack (roll top and buckle and easily tethered).
While this link is to Australian dealers, Sea to Summit is sold around the globe. There are probably other manufacturers of similar storage sacks where you are.

For effective cushioning and especially flotation, air must be included in the bag when sealing.

Sea to Summit Lightweight Dry Sack 3 Piece Set - 1 Litre, 2 Litre and 4 Litre by Sea to Summit Travel & Outdoor Gear (ASETDS)

Larger, bulkier cameras are best stored in e.g. Pelican cases with pressure valves.
08-21-2020, 09:56 PM - 2 Likes   #12

If there is a possibility the camera will be immersed Ewa-Marine should have an underwater housing (soft sided "bag") that would fit the body and lens.

SLR and other exchangeable lens cameras - ewa-marine

I bought one of their rain capes in the 80s and the plastic is still flexible and clear today.
08-22-2020, 09:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TMcDaniel Quote
Not sure i am posting this in the right place and could not find a thread on this subject, i am new to both pentax and kayaking, but i want to take my camera long for island hopping, and photos on the water, what do you guys suggest to protect the camera incase of roll over (full submersed) and water splashes(gone for a swim)?
You can check B&H website for underwater protective cases. If anyone would have it, it would be B&H. Given your statement regarding a rollover in a kayak you may want to investigate that the case/protection would either float or be tethered to you. If it sinks fast in deep water then all is lost.
08-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If there is a possibility the camera will be immersed Ewa-Marine should have an underwater housing (soft sided "bag") that would fit the body and lens.

SLR and other exchangeable lens cameras - ewa-marine

I bought one of their rain capes in the 80s and the plastic is still flexible and clear today.
This seems like a great idea! Not bulky like a case, and still very usable while in the housing!
08-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once I was photographing a water balloon fight and my KS2 & 18-135 lens took a direct hit. I and the camera was drenched, but no problems. I kept on taking photos.