Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2020, 05:47 PM   #1

Taking long exposures (20 seconds) with Pentax KX without a remote

Hi Can anyone help me?

I have a pentax kx and a friend said I dont need a remote switch to take pics of the milky way just use the timer but I am stuck on exactly how to do this?

Is it possible to do a 20-30 second shot with no remote switch?

Thanks

Charlie, Sydney, Australia

08-24-2020, 05:50 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just to be sure, are you using a KX or a K-X?
08-24-2020, 06:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

yes...you set the 2sec or 10sec delay........one of the 4 buttons around the OK button should drop down the menu to change the drive mode
08-24-2020, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CTrindall Quote
Is it possible to do a 20-30 second shot with no remote switch?
What FozzFoster is referring to is that Pentax has two cameras one KX and one k-x. The KX is a film camera which does turn up here occasionally but I'll assume you have the k-x

Link to k-x manual: Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

30 seconds should be no problem. Set to manual and adjust to 30 seconds. Set your ISO as low as you can and your aperture as low as your lens allows. Take a shot and see what it looks like. I don't remember for sure if the k-x does dark field subtraction or not. If it does your 30 second exposure will take 60 seconds, 30 for the exposure and another 30 for the dark frame.

Note that a 30 second exposure will likely not be long enough unless you have a relatively fast lens. Unfortunately going higher on ISO with k-x creates lots of noise. Newer cameras are better at this.

08-31-2020, 01:16 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Just to be sure, are you using a KX or a K-X?
Yes sorry it is a K-X
08-31-2020, 01:19 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
What FozzFoster is referring to is that Pentax has two cameras one KX and one k-x. The KX is a film camera which does turn up here occasionally but I'll assume you have the k-x

Link to k-x manual: Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

30 seconds should be no problem. Set to manual and adjust to 30 seconds. Set your ISO as low as you can and your aperture as low as your lens allows. Take a shot and see what it looks like. I don't remember for sure if the k-x does dark field subtraction or not. If it does your 30 second exposure will take 60 seconds, 30 for the exposure and another 30 for the dark frame.

Note that a 30 second exposure will likely not be long enough unless you have a relatively fast lens. Unfortunately going higher on ISO with k-x creates lots of noise. Newer cameras are better at this.
Thanks so much this is great and I will give it a try and see how I go
08-31-2020, 01:20 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
yes...you set the 2sec or 10sec delay........one of the 4 buttons around the OK button should drop down the menu to change the drive mode
Yes I did this and it worked well! Thanks
08-31-2020, 02:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CTrindall Quote
Yes I did this and it worked well! Thanks
good deal !! happy shooting!