Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #1

K-1 II Kit Lens (DFA 28-105) not working?

Hello! This is my 1st post here :-) My K-1 II DFA 28-105 kit lens decided to fail this weekend - worked fine Friday, crapped out Saturday. When I turn on the camera with the lens attached, the camera now asks me to input the focal length, as it does when I use old, pre-digital, prime lenses. Once I bypass this and attempt to take a picture, the lens makes a clunking sound & my K-1 shuts down completely, necessitating me removing & reinserting the battery to get it to restart. This only happens with this one lens so I’m assuming my camera body is fine? The lens & body are just over a year old, just out of warranty. Anyone have this happen before? Is it possibly repairable or best to just buy a new one? Thanks!

08-25-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried cleaning the lens mount contacts on both the lens and the body?
Do you have another Pentax body to test the lens on?
In your jurisdiction, is there any consumer protection that extends beyond the supplier's warranty?
Did you, per chance, drop or bump the lens that would enable you to make this an insurance claim?
When you bought it, did you per chance use a credit card that provides extended consumer protection for purchases?

Last edited by MarkJerling; 08-25-2020 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Another question added.
08-25-2020, 04:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried cleaning the lens mount contacts on both the lens and the body?
Do you have another Pentax body to test the lens on?
In your jurisdiction, is there any consumer protection that extends beyond the supplier's warranty?
Did you, per chance, drop or bump the lens that would enable you to make this an insurance claim?

Thanks for the reply! I did not bump or drop the lens in any way. I don’t have another K mount body to try - only other Pentax I have is an old 645 😕 I’m honestly not sure about any extended consumer protection in my area. I live in Atlanta, purchased the body & lens from B&H in New York. I will look into that though! Thanks for that tip. I did try to clean the contacts but to no avail.
08-25-2020, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krissylynn1049 Quote
Thanks for the reply! I did not bump or drop the lens in any way. I don’t have another K mount body to try - only other Pentax I have is an old 645 �� I’m honestly not sure about any extended consumer protection in my area. I live in Atlanta, purchased the body & lens from B&H in New York. I will look into that though! Thanks for that tip. I did try to clean the contacts but to no avail.
Sorry to hear. You could look at your credit card company conditions - They may offer extended warranty cover for purchases made with the card. At the cost of that lens, a non-warranty repair is probably not worth it. You may attempt to discuss failure of the lens with B&H and see if they will offer any assistance considering how recently the warranty expired.

Use this part of the forum https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/106-ask-b-h-photo/ and reach out to Chuck: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/27685-chuck-b-and-h/

08-25-2020, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Sorry to hear. You could look at your credit card company conditions - They may offer extended warranty cover for purchases made with the card. At the cost of that lens, a non-warranty repair is probably not worth it. You may attempt to discuss failure of the lens with B&H and see if they will offer any assistance considering how recently the warranty expired.

Use this part of the forum Ask B&H Photo! - PentaxForums.com and reach out to Chuck: Chuck-B&H - View Profile - PentaxForums.com

Thanks again for the reply! Very helpful tips, I will look into my credit card purchase protections & reach out to B&H if nothing is viable there. I agree on the repair cost vs buying a new one. I live near KEH and their repair quote starts at $320 for a $495 new lens.
08-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good luck!
08-25-2020, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The lens & body are just over a year old, just out of warranty.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Since the warranty only recently expired, it may be worth contacting Ricoh/Pentax to see if they will cover the repair or replace under warranty. They have been pretty good about that sort of thing in the past.

Steve

08-25-2020, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Since the warranty only recently expired, it may be worth contacting Ricoh/Pentax to see if they will cover the repair or replace under warranty. They have been pretty good about that sort of thing in the past.

Steve

Thank you for the reply! I confirmed my purchase was made May 10, 2019 so yes, not far out of warranty. I’m happy to hear they’ve been willing to work with others in the past - I will reach out to them!
08-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if you want to consider other repair possibilities:

QuoteQuote:
US
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
Phototronic (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)

Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

I was very pleased with Phototronic - https://phototronic.biz/

he fixed my broken 150-450mm
09-02-2020, 03:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am wondering if other lenses are working normally with this camera.
09-02-2020, 05:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I am wondering if other lenses are working normally with this camera.
This only happens with this one lens so I’m assuming my camera body is fine?
OP says other lenses are fine.
09-02-2020, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
Yes, other lenses still working perfectly fine. I did take a brush & some rubbing alcohol to the lens contacts for a 2nd time, and managed to get auto ISO to work, and I can now change the aperture, though it will not go below 5.6. Oddly, I had one momentary instance where auto focus worked, but it lasted less than a minute then stopped again. I did reach out to Pentax directly but was denied any assistance, as my warranty had just expired. My credit card does not have any expanded consumer protections, so that was a no go. I have not yet reached out to B&H, as was recommended. I live near KEH in Atlanta so I may try to have them give it a look over before deciding how to proceed. Thanks again everyone for your feedback!
09-02-2020, 10:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't usually take an extended warranty when buying a lens, but with these higher-tech lenses, and the extension not very much, I might consider doing so in the future! That is the lesson I am taking from this, even though it appears to be rare for this lens to fail. But lately there have been a number of posts regarding lens failures of one kind or another.