Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2020, 08:45 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments. I know I had not set the camera specifically for the shot but I did not know how long the rainbow would last. I took the couple of quick shots and saw no rainbow so I just ditched it an went for the iPhone. I needed that to get the full rainbow in pano mode anyway. Time to learn more about the camera!

08-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #17
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnde Quote
I needed that to get the full rainbow in pano mode anyway. Time to learn more about the camera!
Take multiple pictures with your dSLR and stitch them together in post-production to create panos!
08-30-2020, 09:25 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I find that underexposure shooting raw can be fixed in post, overexposure can not. So under is always better
08-30-2020, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Polarizing filters have an annoying habit of making rainbows dissappear.
Correct, polarizing filters can easily make rainbows disappear. But, they can also enhance the colors. Under many conditions there is a very small and fine point in adjusting the filter where the colors can really pop. They can cut the glare out of the atmosphere but leave the colors. This point in the adjustment range is very, very small and can easily be missed. The same thing can happen with images reflected off water, cuts the glare out but leaves the reflected image. It took me a lot of practice and experimentation to figure this out.

08-30-2020, 10:00 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Time to learn more about the camera!
In case you missed it, the shot is probably salvageable in Lightroom.

Steve
08-30-2020, 11:51 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is one of those times where sunny f/11 does not apply. You start with a meter reading, take a shot, replay, adjust exposure and repeat until you get the desired result. Isn't digital great? On film you had to bracket and hope for the best.
08-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KP sensor holds recoverable detail in shadows several stops underexposed, highlights? Once highlights are clipped, there is nothing there to recover. I’ve shot sunsets with my KP. Pattern metering, ISO usually set to 400 and I start with the exposure set by the camera and then bracket down to 3 stops under. Same would work for a rainbow. Often the best exposure is -2 or -3 stops.

08-30-2020, 09:12 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had fine results for rainbows from my KP just with the camera set to the "P" mode, and JPEG images with the usual segmented metering. Custom Image processing set to the most common "Bright" category. Your shots were definitely overexposed. And I agree a UV filter would not be a good idea, and a polarizing filter worse.

---------- Post added 08-30-20 at 09:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
Chimp. Take your shot, Chimp it and the Histogram. Adjust and shoot again. Rainbow is Landscape so you have the time for a Chimp and adjust. I do it every time
Yep- check results and change exposure accordingly I generally expose for the scene below the rainbow because I plan to have the rainbow over that scene anyway, then adjust accordingly. If in "P" mode, I just use the +/_ exposure comp button.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-30-2020 at 09:20 PM.
09-01-2020, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
This is one of those times where sunny f/11 does not apply. You start with a meter reading, take a shot, replay, adjust exposure and repeat until you get the desired result. Isn't digital great? On film you had to bracket and hope for the best.
It used to be Sunny 16 when it was film. Does digital work better starting at f11?
09-01-2020, 01:06 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It used to be Sunny 16 when it was film. Does digital work better starting at f11?
Depends on how strong the sun is
09-01-2020, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

High latitude and it is still winter there.

Steve
09-01-2020, 05:04 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Polarizing filters have an annoying habit of making rainbows dissappear.
I have never had that problem with a polarizer.

---------- Post added 09-01-20 at 20:07 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I agree a UV filter would not be a good idea, and a polarizing filter worse.
I disagree, I take it similar to wearing sunglasses, both cut out unnecessary light/glare and make it easier to see the scene.

---------- Post added 09-01-20 at 20:13 ----------

Time to learn more about the camera!
When all else fails I use manual aperture and shutter speed and try different combinations until I get it right
09-02-2020, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I have never had that problem with a polarizer.

---------- Post added 09-01-20 at 20:07 ----------

I disagree, I take it similar to wearing sunglasses, both cut out unnecessary light/glare and make it easier to see the scene.

---------- Post added 09-01-20 at 20:13 ----------

When all else fails I use manual aperture and shutter speed and try different combinations until I get it right
I’ve never shot a rainbow with a polarizer, but I have read that they can make a rainbow disappear and they can enhance the colors, it’s a very fine line and you have to be very careful in turning the filter. So I guess everyone is right.
09-02-2020, 01:38 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I’ve never shot a rainbow with a polarizer,
I have and with excellent results.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have read that they can make a rainbow disappear
With a polarizer, as with rainbows, angle is everything. My experience has not been that the rainbow disappears so much as the glare increases.

Steve
09-07-2020, 04:01 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, K-1 and FA 24-90 IF AL with a CPL, the most vivid rainbow I ever saw, on Friday 4 September.