Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2020, 08:19 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Setting the camera in M mode on the dial then setting the 18-135 lens on 18mm and f4 is the first step. Set shutter speed to something like 1/2 second.Point the camera at yourself. Look at the center of the front glass on the lens and watch inside to see what happens with the aperture. It shouldn't close down to a tiny hole. If it does we have bad news for you...
OK, when I do this I see the aperture close, it closes down to the centre, I'm not sure if this is the tiny hole you mean. It is easier to see when I zoom out.

09-12-2020, 12:10 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SidecarDan Quote
OK, when I do this I see the aperture close, it closes down to the centre, I'm not sure if this is the tiny hole you mean. It is easier to see when I zoom out.
If it closes more than 50%, you probably have an aperture control problem.

Could you post here one of those "dark images"??

For example, here is a photo taken with my K-30 just after it started producing dark images.

Last edited by reh321; 09-12-2020 at 12:21 PM.
09-12-2020, 09:37 PM   #18

Original Poster
Requested photo

I hope this works.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
09-12-2020, 10:38 PM   #19

Original Poster
Here's the picture that started my problem.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
09-12-2020, 11:33 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That sun exposure I would think would have caused no damage, this is something I do regularly being a landscape photographer loving the sun in the frame.

It looks like failed aperture solenoid, my K-30 had it like most and I fixed it by replacing the failed green solenoid with the Japanese white solenoid from a broken donor *IST camera. I fixed this myself but have tech skills, repair centres only replace the failed solenoid with another green one whereas the white solenoid is bullet proof. Shame on Pentax for this as discussed before!

The few K-70s that have this failure all seem to be earlier models from 2016/2017 and out of warranty. Apparently newer cameras have an improved green solenoid but time will tell, I have a white solenoid already waiting for it anyhow and 2 hours to carefully replace it should this happen.
09-13-2020, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I hope this works.
Oh yes.
I also believe this is a result of aperture control failure, which is not as common with the K-70 as is was with the K-30, but still happens, and had nothing to do with sensor-caused sun damage.
As you can see from a histogram, all the light is crowded into the left side.

You can repair this camera damage yourself, or you can send it in to a professional, or you could get older autofocus "F" or "FA" lenses which allow you to control the aperture at the lens.
Attached Images

09-13-2020, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Oh yes.
I also believe this is a result of aperture control failure, which is not as common with the K-70 as is was with the K-30, but still happens, and had nothing to do with sensor-caused sun damage.
As you can see from a histogram, all the light is crowded into the left side.

You can repair this camera damage yourself, or you can send it in to a professional, or you could get older autofocus "F" or "FA" lenses which allow you to control the aperture at the lens.
You can use Post Processing to spread the light out to get a nearly normal-looking photo, but since light was limited initially by aperture control, that is an inferior "solution".

Attached Images

09-13-2020, 05:26 AM   #23

Original Poster
Thanks very much for the assistance, any suggestions as to where I could get one of these, or a part number so I could try and track one down and attempt the repair myself? I do enjoy a puzzle and upgrading to a better part is preferable.
09-13-2020, 05:44 AM - 3 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Look for 'pentax white solenoid' on Ebay, there used or still is a guy who was taking them out of broken cameras and selling them. They were really expensive to import to UK/Ireland so it was nearly free for me to buy a busted *ist DL2 camera and extract them, this body had 2x solenoids so winner winner chicken dinner.

One of the solenoids was for the aperture and the other for the flash!

The K30 works better than it ever did due to this part, it feels slicker and quicker plus the guaranteed 'bulletproofness' providing it is fixed by someone who does a good job.

There is a lengthy thread or two on this website, much great info by member 'Photogem' and he lists which old cameras have which solenoids, which you can use etc.

Here is the thread... and please give me a like

Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com
09-13-2020, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Thanks very much for the assistance, any suggestions as to where I could get one of these, or a part number so I could try and track one down and attempt the repair myself? I do enjoy a puzzle and upgrading to a better part is preferable.
Unfortunately, since production was moved to China, materials used changed, and this change seems to cause the failure. Pentax put the current part into your camera, so as nocturnal has indicated, you have to take a part from an old camera to make the fix.
09-17-2020, 06:17 AM   #26

Original Poster
That repair thread was very interesting, right up until it said solder. I'm out but thanks for the link.
I'm wondering if I don't have two problems at the same time, quite frequently when I push the button to take a picture nothing happens. I would think even if there is not enough light the camera should still take the picture, am I wrong about this?
I'm beginning to think I got a lemon as I already sent it away under warranty for other issues previously, should I write off my losses and replace it, and if so any suggestions on what model to go with?
09-17-2020, 06:24 AM   #27
Pentaxian

That repair thread was very interesting, right up until it said solder. I'm out but thanks for the link.
I'm wondering if I don't have two problems at the same time, quite frequently when I push the button to take a picture nothing happens. I would think even if there is not enough light the camera should still take the picture, am I wrong about this?
I'm beginning to think I got a lemon as I already sent it away under warranty for other issues previously, should I write off my losses and replace it, and if so any suggestions on what model to go with?
Most likely it is set up so it won’t photograph anything if it hasn’t achieved focus. I have that ‘problem’ with my KP - I attempt to photograph a speeding train when my KP isn’t quite ready to - a ‘problem’ only with the user.
09-17-2020, 07:12 PM   #28

Original Poster
Most likely it is set up so it won’t photograph anything if it hasn’t achieved focus. I have that ‘problem’ with my KP - I attempt to photograph a speeding train when my KP isn’t quite ready to - a ‘problem’ only with the user.
Yeah, the weakest part of my camera is the operator. I sure do miss my Pentax ME and ME super that I used for many many years. I don't want a point and shoot, I want the option of changing some settings myself but there's too many options for an old techno-tard like me to understand.
09-21-2020, 05:40 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was taking pictures of the sun directly behind a cloud formation and the last one was into direct sunlight when the cloud moved, now all pictures that I take are very dark. Any ideas on how badly I have damaged my camera and how expensive the repair will be? I have a K-70 and was using a 55/300 zoom on auto.
Thanks for any input.
Dan
Dan, try the methods explained here
If you set your mode-dial on Av or Tav and you know how to chose wide open aperture, then all photos should turn out dark.
Otherwise set it on SCN and lets say portrait and take photos outside: They should be too dark

Then set your K70 on Liveview, i.e. you can see on the LCD-screen the object you focus towards.
Take a photo: Very possibly those photos are quite alright...

and then let us know again.

If you follow those instructions, and expect Live-View photos all other ones are pretty dark, then it is the solenoid and your K70 needs either be sent in (particular if you have still warranty!) or you dare to apply DIY:
Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com

If you do that and feel up to it, then your K70 will be even better afterwards because the Japan solenoid is superior.

I have now repaired 4 x the K70 and all of 'em work fantastic and with serials it is obvious as always (I think I have repaired by now 50 or more K30/50/500/S-1/S2):
Quite a bit faster!

You should also try the following:
1. set the camera to operate in 'M' mode or 'Av' mode
I am again and again amazed that wrong recommendations like this one occur, particular from you, as you have "engaged" very lively in all "solenoid-discussions".... and thus you should know:

The solenoid is NOT in action if the Pentax is set to M-Mode!
It does not actuate!

Av or Tav or P is what is needed!
Most important setting for finding out if the solenoid is stuck
- Aperture wide open: Photo dark/completly underexposed

- Aperture fully closed: Photo is fine/correct exposer

Or looking into a lens with clear visible aperture and then LiveView switched on:
f4,0 (half open) is how it should be!

f22 or 32 (closed = tiny hole) is the case, if the solenoid is stuck

because in LV the camera meters with f 4,0!

Last edited by photogem; 11-18-2020 at 01:45 AM.
09-21-2020, 07:14 AM   #30

Original Poster
Repair

Thanks for the reply, I am looking for somewhere closer to home to get it repaired, otherwise I will send it back East again.