Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2020, 09:34 PM   #31

Original Poster
Fixed

I found a place in Vancouver that does camera repairs so I took it to them, I got it back within the week.
Vancam Services did the job, so far so good. As soon as I have some time and the rain stops I will get out and try and learn more about this camera and see if I can improve my picture quality.
Thanks everyone for the help.
Regards, Dan

11-18-2020, 12:14 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you know what they did?
How much did they charge?
11-18-2020, 02:21 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SidecarDan Quote
I found a place in Vancouver that does camera repairs so I took it to them, I got it back within the week.
Vancam Services did the job, so far so good. As soon as I have some time and the rain stops I will get out and try and learn more about this camera and see if I can improve my picture quality.
Thanks everyone for the help.
Regards, Dan
You did the right thing. Repairing it yourself is risky, especially if you are a klutz like me

So, you want to get to know your camera! Here are a couple of suggestions. You are a film shooter, so how about getting some film era primes and go old school (have you got some in your cupboard?). You can use any K mount lens on your camera so maybe try to grab a Pentax-M 50mm f2. It is a solid performer and is cheap. There are loads of old K mount lenses, the secret is to google "[lens name] review pentax" and that will give you the Pentax forums review. There are hundreds of them The Pentax-M are fully manual. You will also see ones with an A on the aperture ring. Setting it to this means you can control aperture in body. You could also look at M42 mount lenses. These require an adapter. Have a look at the genuine Pentax one so you know what you are looking for. Don't buy the cheap ones! They sometimes get stuck and you have to take the camera apart. I have a pixco and its great and half the price of the Pentax one. There will be suggestions on here, just search M42 is a whole new voyage of discovery (check out Simon's utak on YouTube). Suggestion 2 is to join one of the challenges where you commit to producing an image per day. In The daily in you can use any lens/camera combo, in the single in you choose one lens for the month. It can be any make so long as it is on a Pentax camera. The guys on there are happy to give feedback and guidance, just let us know on the way in

Any questions, just ask! Like I keep saying, this is the best community, and not just in the world of photography, and we have some genuine experts who are happy to help.
11-20-2020, 04:26 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Do you know what they did?
How much did they charge?
camera repair.jpg

---------- Post added 11-20-20 at 05:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
You did the right thing. Repairing it yourself is risky, especially if you are a klutz like me

So, you want to get to know your camera! Here are a couple of suggestions. You are a film shooter, so how about getting some film era primes and go old school (have you got some in your cupboard?). You can use any K mount lens on your camera so maybe try to grab a Pentax-M 50mm f2. It is a solid performer and is cheap. There are loads of old K mount lenses, the secret is to google "[lens name] review pentax" and that will give you the Pentax forums review. There are hundreds of them The Pentax-M are fully manual. You will also see ones with an A on the aperture ring. Setting it to this means you can control aperture in body. You could also look at M42 mount lenses. These require an adapter. Have a look at the genuine Pentax one so you know what you are looking for. Don't buy the cheap ones! They sometimes get stuck and you have to take the camera apart. I have a pixco and its great and half the price of the Pentax one. There will be suggestions on here, just search M42 is a whole new voyage of discovery (check out Simon's utak on YouTube). Suggestion 2 is to join one of the challenges where you commit to producing an image per day. In The daily in you can use any lens/camera combo, in the single in you choose one lens for the month. It can be any make so long as it is on a Pentax camera. The guys on there are happy to give feedback and guidance, just let us know on the way in

Any questions, just ask! Like I keep saying, this is the best community, and not just in the world of photography, and we have some genuine experts who are happy to help.
I will poke around and see what I may have hidden away. Thanks for the suggestion, it may help a techno-tard figure out a few things.

Attached Images

11-20-2020, 05:00 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

camera repair.jpg

---------- Post added 11-20-20 at 05:29 AM ----------

I will poke around and see what I may have hidden away. Thanks for the suggestion, it may help a techno-tard figure out a few things.
Don't forget, you don't have to learn everything yesterday and if you have shot film you will already get exposure, your K70 adds image stabilization, focus peaking, high iso handling etc etc to your film era style shooting
11-20-2020, 06:07 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So what they say they did:

1.Repair mechanism plate
2.Repair mirror operation
3.Clean magnets

4.CLEAN SOLENOID

I am very wary when I read such "statements/claims".

1. Mechanism-plate: There is the diaphragm-control-block on which we find the solenoid.
O.k., one could say if

#3 and #4 are done which is actually the same, then one could kind off say, that the mechanism plate was repaired.
But it is a lot of nonsense!

Big big daubt! This was not faulty and if, it would be a major repair. Hours of work!

So all they did was actually "clean the solenoid and its magnet!"

Well, if that is true, in 99,9% the mistake will reappear!

So I guess that actually they also filed/sanded the plunger of the solenoid because otherwise you would for sure have the same fault happening very quickly again!
Few days at the most!

3.Clean magnets: A stupid thing to do!

a) there is only 1 magnet and cleaning it won't do anything. It won't get dirty.
But even if it would, it would even be slightly positive, because its holding-force is too strong,
one of the main reasons the problem occurs!

b) there are 2 coils/field-coils which act as electro-magnets: Cleaning those would be as much sheer stupidity!
They don't get dirty either, but even if they would, it would not stop them from working.

4.CLEAN SOLENOID: Same as #3!

Next time .... which I hope for you won't happen .... but if, then re-think:
Thanks very much for the assistance, any suggestions as to where I could get one of these, or a part number so I could try and track one down and attempt the repair myself? I do enjoy a puzzle and upgrading to a better part is preferable.
and don't be put off by:
That repair thread was very interesting, right up until it said solder.
but learn it!

It is not that difficult.
11-20-2020, 06:45 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So what they say they did:

1.Repair mechanism plate
3.Clean magnets

4.CLEAN SOLENOID

1. Mechanism-plate: There is the diaphragm-control-block on which we find the solenoid.
O.k., one could say if

#3 and #4 are done which is actually the same, then one could kind off say, that the mechanism plate was repaired.
But it is a lot of nonsense!

Big big daubt! This was not faulty and if, it would be a major repair. Hours of work!

So all they did was actually "clean the solenoid and its magnet!"

Well, if that is true, in 99,9% the mistake will reappear!

So I guess that actually they also filed/sanded the plunger of the solenoid because otherwise you would for sure have the same fault happening very quickly again!
Few days at the most!

3.Clean magnets: A stupid thing to do!

a) there is only 1 magnet and cleaning it won't do anything. It won't get dirty.
But even if it would, it would even be slightly positive, because its holding-force is too strong,
one of the main reasons the problem occurs!

b) there are 2 coils/field-coils which act as electro-magnets: Cleaning those would be as much sheer stupidity!
They don't get dirty either, but even if they would, it would not stop them from working.

4.CLEAN SOLENOID: Same as #3!
I will agree that this list is very strange when applied to a modern WR camera.
The “clean” parts may be the best way they have of billing labor these days.

The most valuable part may be the “use often” warning at the end, an interesting - but useful - message in light of the fact that modern cameras like a K-70 often sit on the shelf between holidays - maybe even repair people realize that is not good for the cameras which have solenoid controlled aperture control.

Last edited by reh321; 11-20-2020 at 07:47 AM.
11-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree that the problem will likely recur. However, I am very wary of claims made without actually seeing the camera or talking with the tech. I know it is unfashionable to consider what actually moves the aperture actuation coupling (it is not the solenoid), but addressing the mirror mechanism would not be out of order if it were not in proper condition and may have contributed to the problem.

In any case, I doubt they will lower the bill. In my town (the other Vancouver), one pays a minimum of $250 USD to have a shop even open a dSLR. It appears the OP was charged the minimum.

Vancam Service Ltd. (where the camera was taken)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-20-2020 at 01:38 PM.
11-20-2020, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with reh321 sometimes you cannot explain what you have done in one or two words. Presumably this is a reputable camera shop and their work is guaranteed, so isn’t it reasonable to assume they have done what they were asked to do. The price is certainly similar to what I paid. I say assume it is fixed, then you can enjoy the camera without overanalysing what may or may not have gone on inside. After all, you have no way of proving anything without getting it dismantled again, and if you then find the work has been done..... assume they did a good job and go out and shoot
11-21-2020, 12:50 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I agree that the problem will likely recur. However, I am very wary of claims made without actually seeing the camera or talking with the tech. I know it is unfashionable to consider what actually moves the aperture actuation coupling (it is not the solenoid), but addressing the mirror mechanism would not be out of order if it were not in proper condition and may have contributed to the problem.
As soon as the TO wrote that both his lenses, the DA18-135 and the DA55-300 (not PLM) brought the same difficulties it was to me clear as clear can be, that it is just the solenoid.
For being able to repair the mirror-mechanism you have to "dig" way way deeper.

I explained why I am wary, for sure I cannot know... otherwise I would have used harder words.

But a "dark-imaging" K-S2 is on the way to me, mirror mechanism identical with the K-70.

I shall inspect the mirror-mechanism again in all detail.