Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #1

K1000 jamming when advancing film

all of a sudden, my k1000 when it has film in it (not when empty) jams after a few advances. It's as if the film is bad but it has happened now with two different rolls so i know it is the camera. The film advance feeds reverse and I assume that is normal..feeds under the take up spool instead of over. Any thoughts. The camera has worked fine in the past. thanks for your help.

09-10-2020, 10:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dudley206098 Quote
all of a sudden, my k1000 when it has film in it (not when empty) jams after a few advances. It's as if the film is bad but it has happened now with two different rolls so i know it is the camera. The film advance feeds reverse and I assume that is normal..feeds under the take up spool instead of over. Any thoughts. The camera has worked fine in the past. thanks for your help.
Could be a film loading issue, check that the rewind knob is turning when you advance the film.

Here is the K1000 film loading instructions from the manual:

Phil.
Attached Images

09-10-2020, 10:55 AM   #3

Is the rewind knob binding? You should be able to turn it anti-clockwise when all the tension has been taken up on the film still in the cassette.

Without film in the camera do the sprockets turn and the shutter curtains move to the cocked position when you wind the advance?
09-10-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the take-up spool feeds to the underside. You probably know this, but in case you don't, it is important that the sprockets, top and bottom, are fully engaged before shutting the camera back. It is those sprockets that do the actual film advance and if they are not cleanly engaged, film advance will fail.

Steve

09-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Could be a film loading issue, check that the rewind knob is turning when you advance the film.

Here is the K1000 film loading instructions from the manual:

Phil.
as far as loading, that is not the issue. Been doing that since the 70s
09-10-2020, 07:27 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Is the rewind knob binding? You should be able to turn it anti-clockwise when all the tension has been taken up on the film still in the cassette.

Without film in the camera do the sprockets turn and the shutter curtains move to the cocked position when you wind the advance?
sprockets turn and curtain advances
09-11-2020, 02:49 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I guess that means you probably know as much as we do. The usual suspects at this point would be a film chip in the mechanism or something out of sync. Time for a CLA?

Edit: If you are handy and willing to tinker, the page linked below has access to service manuals for the K1000 and related Spotmatic models.

Pentax Manuals | Service Manuals

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-11-2020 at 02:59 AM.
09-11-2020, 06:00 AM   #8

One of my K1000's, back in the day, would try to skip on about the 3rd frame of every roll. Of course, I was short-loading the film to try to squeeze an extra frame out of the roll. (I was young and broke, so sue me.)
I figured it was the spool trying to integrate the loose corner of the film as in rolled in.

Kirk B.
09-11-2020, 09:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The one quirk I've found with the K1000 over the years, is that it's possible to load the film with the cartridge lips catching behind the pressure plate, and that causes stuttering film advance - and more than a few scratches on the resultant film.

I usually show beginners with the K1000 to make sure the film cartridge is sitting flat, with the film smooth across the film gate, before closing the door. Even experienced owners can make the error every once in awhile, and close the door with the cartridge up in the air a bit. Most cameras will press the cartridge down flat, but the K1000 can snag it behind the pressure plate.

However, the OP has had the camera some time, and is probably aware of this. So, yes, a rough film advance suggests service is needed, and hard-to-find parts may be needed.
09-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK then it might be the film take-up spool. Mine broke on my KX and it would jam like yours is, a quick trip to Eric fixed the issue.

Phil.