Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2020, 07:56 AM   #1
Forum Member

Adobe Lightroom & Pentax K-S2

Hi all,

I have been having an issue when directly plugging my KS2 into Lightroom to import photos, It will start ok, and then part way one photo will glitch and then the import hangs. Has anyone encountered this and/or knows what is causing it? I know I can just plug in a card reader, but it would be so much more hassle free if I can just do it from my camera.

Thanks

Lisa.

09-13-2020, 08:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Do you have the camera set to USB connection?
Also, is your version of lightroom able to support the KS2 files?
If you are shooting DNG or jpeg it will be for sure, if you are shooting PEF
you may need to update the software.
Also, can you simply drag and drop files from the camera to
the computer (ensuring it isn't a computer glitch of some sort)?

Last edited by Wheatfield; 09-13-2020 at 08:36 AM.
09-13-2020, 08:45 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
USB mode is set on PTP. Shooting DNG.
09-13-2020, 08:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
there are two different usb protocols, at least on my K3: MSC or PTP. maybe the wrong setting there causes the hangup.

09-13-2020, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #5
mee
Pentaxian

It could be the card, the data on the card, the cable, the connection, the camera, or settings on the PC causing this. I'd troubleshoot one at a time until you've removed all the suspects from the list, like a detective. But the easiest one is to take the card out of the camera and attempt to import via a card reader. If it is successful that removes the card and the images on the card out of the equation.

Taking the card out of the camera and using a USB3 reader on a USB3 PC port is going to be faster either way. FYI.
09-13-2020, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Well, that should all work just fine. Did you try
dragging and dropping files from the camera directly to the computer?
I'm at bit of a loss as I always use a card reader.
Is it possible the camera is going to sleep and terminating the connection?
Or the battery dying during connection?
09-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Copying directly from the camera works, cable is a good one too. I've not had any problems with my USB ports. I am using a USB3 port, Maybe if I try with a usb2 port. Right now this seems to be a Lightroom specific thing.

09-13-2020, 01:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WondringLisa Quote
Copying directly from the camera works, cable is a good one too. I've not had any problems with my USB ports. I am using a USB3 port, Maybe if I try with a usb2 port. Right now this seems to be a Lightroom specific thing.
Hopefully someone smarter than myself will chime in.
About all I can think of is are you out of disk space?
09-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Hopefully someone smarter than myself will chime in.
About all I can think of is are you out of disk space?
No, more than enough. It's weird. I looks like a read error. I guess I'll stick to using a card reader for now until I suss it out.
09-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think that the current Pentax cameras support USB 3.0 or 3.1 so the USB 2.0 Port should work fine. There is also more amperage going through a .0 connection so hopefully you did not bork anything permanently.
09-14-2020, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #11
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by WondringLisa Quote
USB mode is set on PTP. Shooting DNG.
Hi Lisa, What can cause this problem is that either the camera (actually an external harddrive) or the computer (most likely) after an amount of time gets to sleep mode. Set your computer and camera to always on.
I read that you have set the camera to PTP, but unfortunately that is the wrong setting, it should be the default setting MSC! It is not made that clear in the K-S2 manual that it should be MSC instead of PTP. The computer "sees" the camera as an external drive and that does not work in the right way if the setting is set to PTP, which is only used for non-computer connections (think of a USB connection directly to a photoprinter). I think it has to do with the Adobe Photo Downloader or its equivalent in Lightroom, because of the way it works. Transferring DNG's to your computer takes considerable time and it is possible that computer and camera loose the connection when the "memory-buffer" is full and the photodownloader pauses. Turning the computer to always on (in the energy or battery settings) can most of the time prevent loosing the connection. Hope this helps.
09-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Hi Lisa, What can cause this problem is that either the camera (actually an external harddrive) or the computer (most likely) after an amount of time gets to sleep mode. Set your computer and camera to always on.
I read that you have set the camera to PTP, but unfortunately that is the wrong setting, it should be the default setting MSC! It is not made that clear in the K-S2 manual that it should be MSC instead of PTP. The computer "sees" the camera as an external drive and that does not work in the right way if the setting is set to PTP, which is only used for non-computer connections (think of a USB connection directly to a photoprinter). I think it has to do with the Adobe Photo Downloader or its equivalent in Lightroom, because of the way it works. Transferring DNG's to your computer takes considerable time and it is possible that computer and camera loose the connection when the "memory-buffer" is full and the photodownloader pauses. Turning the computer to always on (in the energy or battery settings) can most of the time prevent loosing the connection. Hope this helps.
Excellent answer.
09-15-2020, 09:06 AM   #13
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Excellent answer.
Thanks! Aiming to please. By the way MSC stands for Mass Storage Connection and PTP for Photo Transfer Protocol.
09-15-2020, 06:26 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Change to msc seems to have done the trick

---------- Post added 09-15-20 at 06:26 PM ----------

Thanks everyone.