Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Days Ago   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-50: weird behavior with 4xAA batteries

Hi everyone,
I've owned the K-50 for nearly 5 years and since the beginning, I use the original battery plus two sets of AA rechargeable eneloops (with a third-party adapter). Some time ago the camera started acting up with the AA batteries: they are fully charged and just after a few shots it says 'empty battery'. Then, I switch to the other 4xAA set and it's fine (fine - I mean a few hundred shots within a few days at least). It happens once in a while (many times works flawlessly) and is not a major disturbance, since I always have some spares with me. Still, it's weird. I did check all my AA batteries for capacity loss and they are fine. When the problem occurred for the first time I also checked the voltage of the batteries - fine. The terminal contacts in the adapter look firm and snappy. Altogether, it is fine more often than not and looks like a random issue. So far, I am more curious than concerned.
Anyone experienced similar thing?
Cheers,
Chris.

4 Days Ago   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
Hi everyone,
I've owned the K-50 for nearly 5 years and since the beginning, I use the original battery plus two sets of AA rechargeable eneloops (with a third-party adapter). Some time ago the camera started acting up with the AA batteries: they are fully charged and just after a few shots it says 'empty battery'. Then, I switch to the other 4xAA set and it's fine (fine - I mean a few hundred shots within a few days at least). It happens once in a while (many times works flawlessly) and is not a major disturbance, since I always have some spares with me. Still, it's weird. I did check all my AA batteries for capacity loss and they are fine. When the problem occurred for the first time I also checked the voltage of the batteries - fine. The terminal contacts in the adapter look firm and snappy. Altogether, it is fine more often than not and looks like a random issue. So far, I am more curious than concerned.
Anyone experienced similar thing?
Cheers,
Chris.
My K-30 occasionally reports 'empty battery' {AA is all I have used recently} - but works often after I turn it off and then back on a time or two.
I have always assumed this is a result of my setting "AA Battery Type" {tools-3} to 'auto' and it takes multiple tries to guess "rechargable" of the 4 choices
4 Days Ago   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My only guess is that the third party adapter charges all the batteries together, and stops charging once a collective charge has been reached. The Eneloop charger is supposed to charge each cell independently of the others, which is to say that each charging bay shuts off when and only when the battery in that bay has been charged. The unbalanced charges in the cells could be inefficient from the camera's perspective. Of course, that is highly speculative.
4 Days Ago   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
My only guess is that the third party adapter charges all the batteries together, and stops charging once a collective charge has been reached. The Eneloop charger is supposed to charge each cell independently of the others, which is to say that each charging bay shuts off when and only when the battery in that bay has been charged. The unbalanced charges in the cells could be inefficient from the camera's perspective. Of course, that is highly speculative.
I doubt the batteries are being charged while in the third party adaptor.

4 Days Ago   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The third party adaptor holds the batteries in the camera and has nothing to do with charging them. I have a proper charger and it controls each battery separately so I doubt the problems lies here.
4 Days Ago   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The third party adaptor holds the batteries in the camera and has nothing to do with charging them. I have a proper charger and it controls each battery separately so I doubt the problems lies here.
As mentioned in an earlier post is your battery type set to "Auto"?

4 Days Ago   #7

Do you have the battery type set to auto? It has been reported that manually setting the battery type sometimes alleviates this behavior.
4 Days Ago   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes - the battery type is set to 'auto', maybe it's the 'guessing' issue, as mentioned, and the camera not always gets it right at the first time. That would make some sense.
As I said - not a major concern.
Thanks everyone for the responses,
cheers,
Chris.

---------- Post added 09-13-20 at 12:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It has been reported that manually setting the battery type sometimes alleviates this behavior
Thank you. I'll change it to Ni-MH and see if that helps.

4 Days Ago   #9
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you. I'll change it to Ni-MH and see if that helps.
Do let us know if when you get to the bottom of this thing.
4 Days Ago   #10
Pentaxian

Just possible that one or more battery contacts are slightly dirty, either on the batteries, the charger or within the camera. Never does any harm to give everything a quick polish
4 Days Ago   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Do let us know if when you get to the bottom of this thing.
Sure - I'll wait some time and give an update.

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Never does any harm to give everything a quick polish
True! The contacts look good but I haven't touched them for 4+ years - it might be the time
4 Days Ago   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Read this one:
Battery type AA/NiMH/Eneloop in K-x, K-r, K30 K50, K500 as well as *ist/K100/200/2000 - PentaxForums.com
Maybe this helps

Battery-contacts are less prone to be a problem with the K30/50/500, I never came across it ever and I had plenty of 'em for repair!
But the third party AA Adapter does not fit that well as does the original.

Anyway, if you read this linked post you will understand why particular as you swap Li-Ion with Eneloop the AUTO setting for batterydetection is not a good idea!

Last edited by photogem; 4 Days Ago at 06:45 AM.
4 Days Ago   #13
Pentaxian

Sure - I'll wait some time and give an update.

True! The contacts look good but I haven't touched them for 4+ years - it might be the time
Unless out 'In the field', I give everything a clean each time I fill an SD card and replace it. If that is not possible, then I do it as soon as I get home, while my tea is brewing. All lens and camera contacts are cleaned (gently !) on the first of the month, and batteries charged. This is about the only OCD behaviour that I have (except for lining up my stamp collection to the millimetre !), but to me it is a 'Compulsion' that is rewarded by results. The photos are still bad, but at least I know it's just me, not the equipment - or of course, it could be the subject matter !
3 Days Ago   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Read this one:
Thanks - sounds familiar!

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
All lens and camera contacts are cleaned (gently !) on the first of the month, and batteries charged.
Wow, that's a handbook example of self-discipline!

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
The photos are still bad

A little bit of self-critique is always good
3 Days Ago   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Just possible that one or more battery contacts are slightly dirty, either on the batteries, the charger or within the camera. Never does any harm to give everything a quick polish
Just want to second this.... I have had a few similar experiences with my eneloops and found cleaning the battery and holder plus camera contacts fixed it.