Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2020, 09:00 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by rodmkr Quote
I have several lenses for my K10D camera.
The camera recently has stopped working and I have been told it is a dead soldier.
I now need to replace the camera and want to know what other makes of camera they will fit.
Are their adapters that will allow them to work on other makes of cameras?
Or would I be better off trying to find a K10D body to replace the one I have?

Second is there anyone that replaces the motherboard (what the local repairman said was bad)
without charging an arm and leg to do it.
Was told it was a $350-$450 job if a motherboard could be found!
Seems it would be cheaper to buy a new camera and since Pentax is no longer
available that is why I am looking at other makes of cameras!

Thanks in advance for any help you care to give me
rodmkr
$99, six month warranty, free Shipping and you'll have two batteries!!!

Google is your friend!

09-17-2020, 10:31 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lots of answers here. You can put a Pentax lens on a Canon EOS DSLR body with an adapter, but it's not worth the trouble. There will be no auto focus. You will have to operate the aperture manually. If the lens is a modern Pentax model with no aperture ring you are out of luck. There are issues with the camera mirror on full frame bodies fouling the aperture lever on the lens. The usual fix is to hack off the lever, but that is just ghastly and I won't go into the details. In short, forget about a Canon DSLR.

You can use your Pentax lenses on just about any mirrorless body, with the right adapter. The same caveat about manual focus and aperture applies.

As for your options about a replacement body, it depends on your budget. I agree that the K10D was a top end model and that the midrange K70 just won't feel the same. The K70 also has some reliability issues. Another K10D would be a good, cheap option to get you back in the saddle. No learning curve with new features, either.

On the used market, the next option would be a K5 II of K5 IIS. Anything before that is not significantly cheaper to really make much sense. It has sixteen megapixels, live view and does video if you want to dip your toe into those waters.

A K3 or K3 II would be the closest (in look and feel) modern body to the K10D. They are close in specification. The biggest difference is the the II loses the built-in flash for GPS. It also has something called pixel shifting, which is great for landscapes. There is a long awaited replacement for the K3 that will be released before the end of the year. The word is that will be way north of USD1000, though.

That leaves the KP. If you want need a new camera right now, it is the best choice. Compared to K3 it has only one card slot and buffering capacity is smaller and slower. No real deal breaker there and image quality is better due to a later generation sensor.

As you can see, we are a friendly bunch and we love spending other people's money.
11-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by rodmkr Quote
I have several lenses for my K10D camera.
The camera recently has stopped working and I have been told it is a dead soldier.
I now need to replace the camera and want to know what other makes of camera they will fit.
Are their adapters that will allow them to work on other makes of cameras?
Or would I be better off trying to find a K10D body to replace the one I have?

Second is there anyone that replaces the motherboard (what the local repairman said was bad)
without charging an arm and leg to do it.
Was told it was a $350-$450 job if a motherboard could be found!
Seems it would be cheaper to buy a new camera and since Pentax is no longer
available that is why I am looking at other makes of cameras!

Thanks in advance for any help you care to give me
rodmkr
I'm in the same boat. Spent a ton on glass. Got a 50mm prime, a zenitar fisheye, etc... And now it's 300-400 to repair. I loved my K10d so much I just want one just like it. But there is so much better out there. But I have no need for video...