Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2020, 01:14 PM   #1

K10D lenses

I have several lenses for my K10D camera.
The camera recently has stopped working and I have been told it is a dead soldier.
I now need to replace the camera and want to know what other makes of camera they will fit.
Are their adapters that will allow them to work on other makes of cameras?
Or would I be better off trying to find a K10D body to replace the one I have?

Second is there anyone that replaces the motherboard (what the local repairman said was bad)
without charging an arm and leg to do it.
Was told it was a $350-$450 job if a motherboard could be found!
Seems it would be cheaper to buy a new camera and since Pentax is no longer
available that is why I am looking at other makes of cameras!

Thanks in advance for any help you care to give me
rodmkr

09-16-2020, 01:21 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rodmkr Quote
since Pentax is no longeravailable
Pentax is definitely still available. The K-70 would be a great replacement for the K10D from among the current lineup, for example. More details on current models here:
Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

You could probably get 3-4 used K10Ds for that price, so I'd advise against doing that unless you have a limited edition body.

I now need to replace the camera and want to know what other makes of camera they will fit.
The short answer is that Pentax lenses will only offer full functionality (i.e., autofocus and aperture control) when used on Pentax cameras. KAF3 lenses and older (this includes all lenses released prior to 2016, so likely anything you got alongside the K10D) can generally be adapted to any mirrorless system if you are willing to focus manually and set the aperture. This usually only makes sense for quality prime lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+1 for a K-70
If you were happy with your K10D results, you'll be blown away with a K-70

Also, welcome to the Forums - what lenses ya got?
09-16-2020, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The camera recently has stopped working and I have been told it is a dead soldier.

Second is there anyone that replaces the motherboard (what the local repairman said was bad)

rodmkr
Get a Pentax KP or if you want to spend more money wait till the end of the year when the new Pentax aps-c will be released.

Whoever told you Pentax is no longer available is fibbing.

09-16-2020, 02:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

rodmkr
Not only is Pentax still available, they are also releasing a new camera in a few weeks!

If you decide to switch brands, any of your lenses that have an aperture ring will work fully manual with any mirrorless camera.

I agree with the others that a K-70 (used) would be a dandy replacement. However, if you want to use a battery grip or have large hands, an older used model such as the K-5 or K-3 might be better, as they are a bit larger and more comfortable to handle, and also feature a bit higher build quality than the K-70 (which is actually built just fine in its own right).
09-16-2020, 02:34 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

I would actually suggest a used K-3. or K-3II The K10D was a more premium, top of the line body with a lot of controls, so the K-3 would be the closest recent camera. You can find the K-3 usually for around 400-450 in good condition, and the K-3II for about 500-550 I think.
The K-70 has great image quality but is a more consumer oriented body, and the KP falls in between - great build but the grip isn't to everyone's taste.
09-16-2020, 02:46 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As others have said, Pentax is still available. Options you have as I see it:

1) buy a new Pentax body that is current (K1 MK II*, KP, K70)
* The K1 mk ii only makes sense if you want to move into full frame sensor, some of your existing lenses may not work in full frame mode with this setup, but they will all work in crop mode. This is the most expensive route. KP is less, k70 is least expensive of these.

2) buy a used Pentax camera (eBay, this site's marketplace, etc. ) Check the camera lists on this site for more info. If you go used I recommend the forum marketplace and buying a k50 or newer if possible.

3) swap systems... My least favorite choice. All lenses will need to either be used in manual focus and manual aperture mode (on mirrorless systems) or sold and replaced. If you prefer a DSLR rather than mirrorless you will need to sell and replace lenses for use on the new dslr if you switch from Pentax.

That covers most of it. Just ask for more info as you narrow it down.
09-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

You will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

if the OP could identify the lenses it could help " K 10D Lenses " isn't a good identification at least for me

these charts could be of help:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-mount Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2020 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA".
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts unless they are singled out in the table below. So for compatibility of a DA* lens which is not singled out, look under DA lenses, etc.
Exceptions:
FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

Check this page out for more on the Pentax lens nomenclature: Pentax lens series explained.
The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

you will find the K 10 D on line 4

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell
There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.
The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

depending on the OP's needs, there are several camera choices that could be made

if the OP wants an " experienced " camera, the forum's marketplace is a good place to look

it can be sorted by country

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-16-2020 at 02:57 PM.
09-17-2020, 02:44 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another vote here for a nice, used K-3 or K-3II. Or, if you want to go for an even cheaper option, the older (but still excellent) K-5 series. All these are flagship bodies with premium build quality, and natural successors to the good old K10D.

Of course, you could source another K10D for very little money, or a Samsung GX-10 which is basically the same camera
09-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First of all, welcome in the forum.

As has been said, the repair costs will be much higher then the price of a good used K10D.

If you want a contemporary camera, the first question is the one FuzzFoster already stated. Which lenses do you own?
The modern cameras will need good to very good lenses and what performed decent on the K10D might perform very poor on a K-70.
Or to put it the other way round. If your old lenses are mediocre, you have to buy new ones anyway for the modern camera and you can go with whatever brand you wish to.

Another valuable information would be, what you would like to spent. If we are talking about USD 400, that is a tight budget for a new camera. A used one is no problem. And then there is still the question which lenses you own if we should give you advice if to better stay with pentax or choose another brand.
09-17-2020, 11:13 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
Which lenses do you own?
The modern cameras will need good to very good lenses and what performed decent on the K10D might perform very poor on a K-70.
Or to put it the other way round. If your old lenses are mediocre, you have to buy new ones anyway for the modern camera and you can go with whatever brand you wish to.
I'm going to suggest that this is a bit overstated in my opinion. Every lens tends to benefit from increased resolution, but many could seem a bit weaker than better lenses, however none will do worse but your standards may change when you see the increased resolution possible.

Read this for perspective about why I think this is overblown:

Nikon's 'Worst' and 'Best' Zoom Lenses Compared

I have also shot with mediocre lenses and been surprised what quality images can be created. See here for an example:
Single In September 2018 | Flickr
09-17-2020, 12:27 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm going to suggest that this is a bit overstated in my opinion.
I am going to agree with UncleVanya here. I used the K10D for many years, both with modern and much older lenses than I suspect the OP has. I still use those today on my K1. I have yet to find any good Pentax lens of any age that has a problem resolving on the K1.

A large part of this equation is what is the end product of the image ? For posting online or viewing on a screen, there will not be an issue. Some weaker lenses may show their flaws if the OP wishes to print large (24x16 for example).

I do endorse the suggestion for the OP to share with us his lens collection, but I doubt it will be an issue.
09-17-2020, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you with us!

My first DSLR was the K10D, which I still own. As others have said, it was Pentax's flagship model when it was first released. Very solidly built, and its CCD sensor handles colors beautifully. In my experience, any ISO setting above 400 started to give unacceptable noise, but at 400 and below produced some wonderful images. This camera still has much to recommend it.

From there I went to a K-5IIs, another flagship model. Its CMOS sensor/processor renders colors differently, but not unpleasantly. The 16MP images can be printed bigger than the 10MP K10D images, or you have more flexibility to crop. I have the auto-ISO set to top out at 1600, which still gives good images. I still love this camera, and can highly recommend it. Big upgrade over the K10D.

A few months ago I bought a KP from a PF member in the Marketplace here on the forum. Its 24MP images allow me to crop quite a bit while still maintaining high resolution. This camera is known for its high ISO performance. I currently have auto-ISO set to top out at 6400, and I've seen ISO 10,000 images that were amazingly good. It renders colors more accurately than the K-5IIs IMO. (I should say that I primarily shoot jpegs, so that affects these color comparisons.) I've been very happy with the KP so far. I'm still exploring its capabilities. You get tremendous bang for the buck with a KP.

Someone above mentioned the K-50. I would steer away from this model due to its common aperture block problem. You may be lucky enough to get one that never has this problem, but why risk it?
09-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I too welcome you aboard the forum. Your K10D was a breakthrough flagship DSLR design for Pentax. Before its arrival, Pentax had, after the compact but well-built highly-priced 6mp *ist, specialized in compact low-cost 6mp models. The K10D was the first Pentax body to offer a build quality that includes weather sealing (WR). For a time it was the only Pentax offing this build quality. The next flagship model, the K20D followed suit, along with the amateur-oriented K200D- the first ever camera in this class to do so. Now the entire Pentax DSLR lineup are WR designs, as are many Pentax lenses. If you shop other brands looking for this build quality, you will be also looking to spend lots more $$$. The same with lenses. A camera body having a WR design is not actually fully so unless it has a WR lens on it as well.

I always recommend, especially if buying used- to go for a flagship model for its extra-durable, extra-dependable build quality and superior controls set. You are used to the K10D, a larger-sized design the last of which was the K20D. I still have this model- bought new- but now rarely use it. Subsequent Pentax flagship models have been more compact. So in addition to which lenses you have, the next question is what is your expected budget limitations?

The KP is not a flagship model but was designed as a very unique extra-slim bodied model yet having the fine pro-level metal based (magnesium alloy) build quality of the more recent flagship Pentax DSLR along with the best ever performance in APS-C DSLR technology. It can be expanded or contracted in its size for handling depending on the lens used and one's preferences via a set of interchangeable right-hand grips. It also has an optional battery grip available to substantially further expand its size and capabilities. For a model of such quality, the new price has come down remarkably and represents quite a value. Its new controls are a marvel, and very different than your K10D. It has no top LCD (to make room for the controls while maintaining its compactness) but its tilt-out rear screen can be very handy when shooting from low or high positions or on a tripod when well below eye level.

As others have said, a new flagship model is expected very soon after a long period of development, and without giving away too much in details, Pentax has hinted it will be the most advanced and improved APS-C DSLR available.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-17-2020 at 04:08 PM.
09-17-2020, 04:15 PM   #15

rodmkr

.y k 10d was starting to give me problems as well. I have several k mount lenses and didn't want to invest in another make. So i decided to stay with pentax and bought a k70. There are adapters for k mount lenses available for several makes just make sure you get the correct adapter.