Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2020, 06:08 AM   #1
Forum Member
Eebll's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 92
K1 Electronic Shutter

I give in. I believe it has it, but it is grayed out in my menu. I've not bothered with it before but thought I'd have a look. The manual seems to be of no help. How do you activate it?
Thanks in advance. Eric.

09-18-2020, 06:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian
ehrwien's Avatar

Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 729
Have you tried changing the drive mode (upper button of the 4 way controller) to Single Frame Shooting (left most / green = default option)? That's how I can select it. It seems to disable the IBIS though.
09-18-2020, 06:27 AM   #3
Forum Member
Eebll's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 92
Original Poster
Ahh, Thank you. I was in continuous.
09-18-2020, 07:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,031
You may not want the electronic shutter for everyday shots since it can create artifacts with moving objects. It's primary use is for relatively stationary scenes shot with a tripod when you want to eliminate shutter shock and the resulting vibration. It can also be used in cases where multiple shots will affect the lifespan of the mechanical shutter given the ES limitations don't matter. The electronic shutter reads out the frame at a fairly low rate so it's somewhat like using a focal plane shutter set to a high speed but one which travels the focal pane really slow in comparison so the top of the frame is exposed at a different time relative to the bottom. Anything that moves will show displacement due to the temporal difference

Just some info in case you decide to use it.

09-18-2020, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member
Eebll's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 92
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
You may not want the electronic shutter for everyday shots since it can create artifacts with moving objects. It's primary use is for relatively stationary scenes shot with a tripod when you want to eliminate shutter shock and the resulting vibration. It can also be used in cases where multiple shots will affect the lifespan of the mechanical shutter given the ES limitations don't matter. The electronic shutter reads out the frame at a fairly low rate so it's somewhat like using a focal plane shutter set to a high speed but one which travels the focal pane really slow in comparison so the top of the frame is exposed at a different time relative to the bottom. Anything that moves will show displacement due to the temporal difference

Just some info in case you decide to use it.
Thank you for that info'.
09-18-2020, 08:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian
ehrwien's Avatar

Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 729
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Just some info in case you decide to use it.
Is there any info how bad it is in case of the K-1?

The only info I could find on the Electronic Shutter in the K-1 was:
QuoteQuote:
Latest PENTAX K-1 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
Changes to V1.30
[Enhanced features]
The Electronic Shutter can be selected at the Menu to reduce camera shake from the mechanical shutter when shooting with Live View mode.

------

Pentax K-1 Review - Firmware Additions | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Electronic Front Curtain Shutter in Live View
EFCS can now be enabled for live view shooting. This will help alleviate shake that otherwise induces a slight degree of blur at shutter speeds in the 1/90-1/180s range. This function is primarily intended for shooting on a tripod, so Shake Reduction is unavailable while it is enabled.
09-18-2020, 08:36 AM   #7
Senior Member
Gerbermiester's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 293
I can't seem to get my AF540FGZ flash to fire while in electronic shutter mode. But, in mechanical shutter mode, the flash works no problem. Anyone know if this is normal behavior?
09-18-2020, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,338
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Is there any info how bad it is in case of the K-1?

The only info I could find on the Electronic Shutter in the K-1 was:
It is meant to be used for perfectly still scenes.

How bad it will be will depend on how far you push the limitations.

---------- Post added 09-18-20 at 07:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
I can't seem to get my AF540FGZ flash to fire while in electronic shutter mode. But, in mechanical shutter mode, the flash works no problem. Anyone know if this is normal behavior?
Yes.You cannot use flash with ES. I seem to remember the scan time for the ES is around 1/10 second. There is your problem. There is no single moment in time when the entire sensor is recording


Last edited by pschlute; 09-18-2020 at 11:11 AM.
09-18-2020, 11:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 615
For anyone interested:
In this post I'm assuming the K-1 (which I don't have) behaves similarly to the KP. Every image captured by the electronic shutter adds 1 to the total shutter count. So if the electronic shutter is used regularly, e.g. for short bursts or bracketed shots, it could result in a high shutter count. This might be an issue if then wanting to sell the camera - a high shutter count and yet the electro-mechanical shutter might have had little wear. I don't think that there's any way of proving that to a potential buyer.

Philip
09-18-2020, 11:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian
ehrwien's Avatar

Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 729
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
For anyone interested:
In this post I'm assuming the K-1 (which I don't have) behaves similarly to the KP. Every image captured by the electronic shutter adds 1 to the total shutter count. So if the electronic shutter is used regularly, e.g. for short bursts or bracketed shots, it could result in a high shutter count. This might be an issue if then wanting to sell the camera - a high shutter count and yet the electro-mechanical shutter might have had little wear. I don't think that there's any way of proving that to a potential buyer.

Philip
It's not completely silent with the K-1. It seems that the description in the updated review is right to call it Electronic Front Curtain Shutter, which means that the Rear Curtain will be provided by the mechanical shutter (which should also be a little beneficial in preventing too bad of a rolling shutter phenomenon)?
09-18-2020, 12:41 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,031
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
I can't seem to get my AF540FGZ flash to fire while in electronic shutter mode. But, in mechanical shutter mode, the flash works no problem. Anyone know if this is normal behavior?
That's probably because of the way the camera reads out the sensor in ES mode. Since this is done over a 1/10s interval, it would result in portions of the image not being exposed with an electronic flash (black banding). The flash is smarter than we are

---------- Post added 09-18-2020 at 01:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Is there any info how bad it is in case of the K-1?

The only info I could find on the Electronic Shutter in the K-1 was:
Here are some examples of the K-1's ES (specifically post #10): electronic shutter speed on K-1 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Bob 256; 09-18-2020 at 12:56 PM.
09-18-2020, 01:30 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,338
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
It seems that the description in the updated review is right to call it Electronic Front Curtain Shutter, which means that the Rear Curtain will be provided by the mechanical shutter
I seem to remember this coming up here before. So for each capture in LV ES the first curtain has already moved to enable LV, and the second curtain moves to end the exposure (is this correct ?). The second curtain then moves again back to its rest position before the next image can be taken.
09-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,752
I recall some Pentax rep in a video saying something (answering a suggestion) that they might explore ES for OVF shooting in the future, but nothing ever came of it. You still have to get the mirror out of the way, but at least shutter shock (which seems to be the more significant concern on the K1) is avoided. It's something I'd like to see, unless they can really reduce shutter shock in the next FF model.
09-18-2020, 05:57 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 37,244
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I recall some Pentax rep in a video saying something (answering a suggestion) that they might explore ES for OVF shooting in the future, but nothing ever came of it. You still have to get the mirror out of the way, but at least shutter shock (which seems to be the more significant concern on the K1) is avoided.
Are you thinking something like ES as an extension of MUP or 2s delay?


Steve
09-18-2020, 06:07 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Fenwoodian's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,632
Does ES work for pixel shift images?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af540fgz flash, camera, curtain, delay, es, experience, exposure, flash, flash to fire, info, k-1, mirror, mode, pentax help, photography, pixel shift, shock, shutter, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K1: Electronic shutter in B modes and INT modes? biz-engineer Pentax K-1 13 08-01-2020 11:14 PM
Action Electronic shutter or manual shutter? K1 GUB Photographic Technique 30 10-10-2019 05:05 PM
On K1 - Mechanical VS Electronic shutter question! Fenwoodian Pentax K-1 5 10-21-2016 03:27 PM
K1 pixel shift and electronic shutter biz-engineer Pentax K-1 9 06-01-2016 09:46 AM
K1 menu - electronic shutter 2351HD Pentax K-1 6 05-05-2016 08:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:20 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top