Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2020, 08:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cleaning aperture blades

Hi folks,

Just picked up a Vivitar Series 1 (Komine) 28-90mm F2.8-3.5 Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

It's in great shape but I'd like the aperture blades to be snappy (they're pretty decent, not really slow, just not quite snap-to-it snappy). I contacted Eric, but he said he can't clean and re-oil the blades. Wondering if there is someone else out there who does this kind of thing who's reliable and is in the Eric price-range, (And, please no suggestions that I do it - I might as well just throw out the lens before I start because that's the condition it will wind up in.)

Thanks!

Steve
New Joisey

Last edited by Spodeworld; 09-21-2020 at 02:09 PM.
09-18-2020, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

You can check with Mike at Phototronic.biz
Other than Eric he is my non-Pentax go to guy.

Thanks,
Ismael
09-18-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the average price in the review section is correct, I would be surprised if you could find anyone to do the work for less than the cost of buying another one
09-19-2020, 04:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy the tools and do it yourself!

09-19-2020, 04:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I expect that that's the case, but it's in really good shape, took it out last night and it produces really nice images, so part of me feels like I'd like to preserve a really nice piece of glass.....that's a judgement call I realize....but of course, I might not need to do this since it's very close to being snappy, just not as snappy as the best ones I have.

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If the average price in the review section is correct, I would be surprised if you could find anyone to do the work for less than the cost of buying another one
09-19-2020, 06:09 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope someone who has taken this lens apart can give you some pointers and it may be worth having a go yourself. I have dismantled lenses to clean the elements, but the aperture blade mechanism scares me to death

Things also get more complicated with a zoom.

Good luck
09-19-2020, 07:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Please keep us posted on how it goes. I just sent my Precioussss (A*200 Macro) to Precision for an oily aperture blade cleanup, and am anticipating having to rob a bank to get it back.

09-19-2020, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm going to quote myself on this one "And, please no suggestions that I do it - I might as well just throw out the lens before I start because that's the condition it will wind up in."

Read more at: Cleaning aperture blades - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Buy the tools and do it yourself!
09-20-2020, 05:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I'm going to quote myself on this one "And, please no suggestions that I do it - I might as well just throw out the lens before I start because that's the condition it will wind up in."

Read more at: Cleaning aperture blades - PentaxForums.com
Ah shoot, you did say that in your post, sorry! I maintain this isn't as hard as it might be made out to seem, but totally get if you don't want to go there.
09-20-2020, 11:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have done plenty of lenses and have the tools but zooms are always a headache, always awkward and if you can get them to bits they are hellish to get back together and very often getting the infinity focus set correctly would test the patience of a saint.

I would say you either get a pro to do it and accept it will cost more than the lens is worth ( for love ), you live with it or you sell it on and try again. The problem with the latter option is you have no way of knowing what issues may be present in any other one you buy.

So it comes down to how much you want and like the glass.
09-21-2020, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, called Phototronic.biz and they seem like a pretty decent place. I took the lens out yesterday and it worked great...so sharp and no issues. The guy I spoke to at Phototronic.biz just said to put it on F16 with a shutter speed of 1000 and see if there are any exposure issues, namely, that it stops down properly. It worked fine, no issues - he said if it doesn't show up under these conditions then it's fine and there's no reason to do anything further. So, it appears to be in good shape. It's really a hell of a lens!

Thanks for your feedback!
11-09-2020, 01:17 PM   #12

Just spoke to Mike @ Phototronic.biz (Thanks - @Spodeworld) and will be sending him a couple of lenses. I will report back. Quoted prices are very competitive and he is a nice guy.
11-09-2020, 05:25 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
So, called Phototronic.biz and they seem like a pretty decent place. I took the lens out yesterday and it worked great...so sharp and no issues. The guy I spoke to at Phototronic.biz just said to put it on F16 with a shutter speed of 1000 and see if there are any exposure issues, namely, that it stops down properly. It worked fine, no issues - he said if it doesn't show up under these conditions then it's fine and there's no reason to do anything further. So, it appears to be in good shape. It's really a hell of a lens!

Thanks for your feedback!

Yep, if it works, shoot it . Some diaphragms just seem sluggish when operating manually. A fast speed, small opening with good exposure.That’s simple great advice.

Hang up and DRIVE!
11-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When grease evaporates and condenses on the diaphragm blades it isn't always obvious. Doing the 1/1000 at f/16 test is good, but the blades will get more sluggish in cooler weather. So a lens that is great in the summer might not be so great in the winter.