Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2020, 11:20 PM   #16
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
You think I should be worried?
I wouldn't want to influence you either way PP. With your gear, it must be your choice. ..................

09-21-2020, 08:18 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't have many Asahi/Pentax cases for my Taks, but assumed them to be "leather filled" (leather-derived cardboard-like stuff) rather than wood fiber. I dress mine with shoe polish and so far, that seems to work well. As with you, I have not seen evidence by appearance or odor of mold with any of rigid lens cases from various makers.
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have a couple of Takumar cases with red felt linings - so you think they have no real value??
Without taking them apart, how would one determine that they aren't real leather???
I have over 50 of these old Pentax hard cases in various condition, some I've had to repair so I can use them. They are valuable for storing my lenses, so I try and purchase ones that are in half decent shape.
The usual issues are dried out foam at the case top, under the red lining. I just vacuum the foam specs out and re glue the red lining. The case bottoms are another area that seem to separate. That's where you can see the paper thin "leather" glued on the cardboard. The old Takumar cases from the 50's & 60's may have had real leather, but the cases I have the thickness of the material is so thin I doubt it's real leather. Never the less I do use them and it does not really matter if they are mostly cardboard.

Phil.
09-21-2020, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #18
Unregistered User

Steve Allen said, "It's leatherette, which is a Japanese word that means, 'plastic'."
09-21-2020, 11:25 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
but the cases I have the thickness of the material is so thin I doubt it's real leather.
Sort of like leather camera coverings? That on my older cameras are reputed to be actual leather, but boy is that stuff thin. The amazing part is that the original coverings on most of my vintage cameras has proven quite durable.

Steve

09-21-2020, 12:38 PM   #20

At my high school we had a "plastics" shop. We used very thin sheets of leather for polishing. The sheets were maybe a millimeter thick, semi-shiny brown on the tanned side.
09-21-2020, 01:17 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sort of like leather camera coverings? That on my older cameras are reputed to be actual leather, but boy is that stuff thin. The amazing part is that the original coverings on most of my vintage cameras has proven quite durable.

Steve
Yeah I guess the only way to see if the stuff is really leather is to do a DNA test on a sample?

The "leather" on my Pentax k-mount hard lens cases (red lining) reminds me of this so called leather jacket I bought in England decades ago. It started to crack after a year and you could see this black fabric backing underneath the fake leather. (Gave it away) I also bough a Schott .NYC motorcycle jacket around the same time that's real cowhide leather and it'll last forever. (Still have it and have never treated it)

I wish these Pentax lens cases looked as good as my jacket's leather, but they don't...

Phil.
09-21-2020, 02:13 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks to all

this has been quite the interesting thread. I now have information about how to maintain my "new' old Takumar case ( for 200mm / 3.5 ) lens to keep it like new.Also have more knowledge about restoring, if not repairing, rougher Takumar, SMC, and M lens cases.I now have projects for the snowy, miserable days to come here in the northeast.Again, thanks for each and every reply.
09-21-2020, 02:32 PM   #23
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I changed the living room, we got a real leather one, the retailer, "who knows the environment where they are assembled and produced",

confessed to me "use only water as much as possible without limescale and a neutral soap", forget about the advertised products,

so far he hasn't lost its shine and colour, so I have to believe him.

Case:

Unfortunately, the lens cases are no longer made of genuine leather, but since the 70s and 80s in a substance similar to PU.

How to say you pay more for less

09-21-2020, 05:24 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm as guilty as anyone else here of derailing this thread a bit from the OP, but to answer the original question:

If it's real leather, then a really good leather conditioner is Laston. It's for women's purses, but that sort of high-end leather is just the kind of thing I'd imagine (hope?) a premium camera case would be, too. They also make a water-repellent for leather that doesn't smell like horrendous chemical death, but I certainly hope you aren't out with your 1960s Takumars attached to your weather-sealed KP in a gentle rain. Disclosure: I did some product photography for the company that makes Laston, years ago.

If it's not real leather, but vinyl or "pleather", then I recommend 303 Aerospace UV protectant. I really like this stuff. I also recommend it whole-heartedly as a cure for the white residue (sweat salt?) that seems to form on black camera grips after a few years. My K200D went from B- cosmetic condition to A- cosmetic condition with nothing more than a little 303. Importantly, 303 is a polish, not a spray-n-forget, so you have to buff it out with a dry cloth or you'll have a greasy camera.

But, man oh man, PJV, you have me all sorts of worried that any of these leather treatments might give my lenses lens fungus. I'd set all my Limited Lens cases on fire in my backyard tomorrow morning if I thought there was even a 5% chance those nice, soft bags might fill my lovely lenses with fluffy goo.
09-21-2020, 11:29 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Something else to worry about is foam.....foam rubber out gasses over time as it breaks down. The out gassing produces nasty vapour which can affect lens glass. This is well known in astronomy as a hazard with foam cut out type cases for gear.
Recently I had a case that had been left with old music gear in it. On opening after quite a few years the foam has crumbled up but worse the outgassing has corroded stuff inside. Eewwww not good.
09-22-2020, 12:02 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I have a Motorhead DLP, purchased second-hand, in a leather sleeve
I think this is the most important post. I couldn't let it slide without a comment of approval.
09-22-2020, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Mike, congratulations on your purchase.
If the leather ( organic ) case is in great condition, I would put it in a re-sealable plastic bag and store it as far away from my lens as possible.
Very humid is ideal for mould and fungus to thrive, so for me, using it to " keep a lens safe " is not an option. Enjoy your new toy.
Just my $0.02.
A very good advice.
Even if leather is well treated/tanned it can catch mould and fungus if exposed to cold temperatures and/or humidity

As nice as the older real leather limited pouches are, I have them stored in a very dry place in my house which is always warm and dry. Same place I have all Takumar and early K-lens hard-cases. But none of my lenses is stored in there.
Most of my lenses are stored in an airy cupboard.
If humidity would be a problem, I'd take special care of that as well.