Photos: Albums
KP is a wonderful camera.

09-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
“not worth much” = “resale value is low”
Sometimes my english is not the best. You are correct, what I should have said is that with the aperture block issue the resale value is lower. I will attempt to be more precise in the future.

And using such a camera for vintage lens use is also a good idea. I have toyed with the idea of purchasing such a camera for use as my M42 camera. But I already have more cameras than I have time for. Maybe some day.
09-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Sometimes my english is not the best. You are correct, what I should have said is that with the aperture block issue the resale value is lower. I will attempt to be more precise in the future.
That is why I made my comment - to clarify your comment.
Please don't fuss about precision - we can always 'fix' it

QuoteQuote:
And using such a camera for vintage lens use is also a good idea. I have toyed with the idea of purchasing such a camera for use as my M42 camera. But I already have more cameras than I have time for. Maybe some day.
A fine use for a K-30 or K-50 whose aperture control has 'expired'.
09-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please don't fuss about precision - we can always 'fix' it
I just noticed your former profession. No explanation is necessary. My son is a civil engineer. He drives me crazy correcting my 'imprecision's'.

A fine use for a K-30 or K-50 whose aperture control has 'expired'.
Yes, that is what I was thinking or maybe even a K-70, I see a few of those have the problem. But I just bought a full spectrum converted K-01 so my 'new toy' budget is somewhat depleted at the moment.

09-24-2020, 12:02 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mastiff Quote
I shoot a lot, portraits and travel. I am only interested in a new camera. I am a hobby shooter. I have no interest in full frame given the investment in lenses I already have.
I can afford the repair. If I eat at home a bit more I can afford the K-70 and a review from 2018 sure makes it sound like a great camera.
I could probably swing the KP but would need a good reason why.
Welcome to the forum. Which lenses do you have?

Most of us here are hobby shooters as well. And since you shoot a lot, I concur with your interest in going for a new camera. I shoot fairly often, but not usually a lot, being that my habits are born out of the film era. But I always buy new unless I'd be interested in an old classic film body (already fixed with those).

If it were me I would be hesitant about paying over $200 for a repair of a camera of the vintage of the K-30, even though it is a capable camera. And, you are paying for the same part that is subject to the same problem! There have been reports of second failures after the fix. The self-fix is the only way to go is my take, because it is far cheaper and it is done with a used part not subject to the same problem.

The newer models are simply more capable, more advanced in many ways. I've had the K-S2, now for a number of years, predecessor to the K-70 and of essentially the same design in terms of controls, features, etc. I hope it does not develop the solenoid problem. It is more capable than the K-30 or the K-50.

I have more recently acquired the KP, which I highly recommend. It has a pro-level build quality (light-weight but very robust metal construction- magnesium alloy), can deliver superior metering, better AF, and definitely better low-light/ higher ISO performance, as well as a superior set of controls and many advanced features. It is not subject to developing the solenoid problem. It also has an optional battery grip available for additional gripping surface and balance when handling large lenses- way beyond that of the K-70, plus a huge battery reserve advantage and additional controls for vertical (portrait) shooting. I bought one of these a few months later.

Are you in the US? I just checked and right now B&H has a remarkable deal going for a camera of this class. $749.70 for the silver finish version, and some useful accessories are included at no extra charge, with free shipping. I chose the silver version and it is beautiful. Looks great with either black or silver lenses, as the body is actually silver/black two-tone. Usually the black version is the same price, or if any difference the silver version is usually more as can be seen with the FF K-1 II body. But at the moment, for some reason, the black finish in the KP is more (!) perhaps they have more silver bodies in stock at this particular time. The K-70 "silver" version comes with a darker tone on its plastic body which is not a match with the Pentax silver lenses.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-24-2020 at 12:11 PM.
09-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #21

Original Poster
Thank you all for your suggestions.
I think I will go the self repair route. I can always buy a new camera if it doesn’t work. Not much to lose when you are working on broken gear.
As attractive as it sounds to keep this one as a “manual” camera as someone who started with a K1000 almost 30 yrs ago I am over having to think about every part of the process.
If I do upgrade to the K-70 I might just go ahead and order a solenoid for at at the same time.
09-24-2020, 03:44 PM   #22

Original Poster
As far as AF lenses go, I have the 18-250, 35, 50, and just got the 70.
I don’t shoot every day but when doing a shoot of my daughter for instance I might take 5 pictures or I might take 50.

I was not happy about a $200 repair to a shop in Connecticut and that is why I reached out here.

The KP is attractive and I am a big fan of the extra battery/grip. I put one on my ME Super back in the day and loved it. That said, I am very acclimated to the controls and the layout of the K-50 and am not sure that I would feel as comfortable shooting the KP as I would the K-70.

Yes I am in the US and have ordered much and many from B&H, big fan.

09-26-2020, 05:26 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Controls of the K5-Series is pretty similar but even better, direct access to some important controls. Batterygrips are cheap for those.
Still great rugged cameras with the best 15/16MP sensor ever.

If you buy any of these:
ist*D-DL, K100/200/110D, Kx, Km (2000), Samsung GX1 (used and broken)

you have 2 Solenoids right there!

And disassembling them is good training for then doing it on the K50.
09-26-2020, 11:14 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mastiff Quote
As far as AF lenses go, I have the 18-250, 35, 50, and just got the 70.
I don’t shoot every day but when doing a shoot of my daughter for instance I might take 5 pictures or I might take 50.

I was not happy about a $200 repair to a shop in Connecticut and that is why I reached out here.

The KP is attractive and I am a big fan of the extra battery/grip. I put one on my ME Super back in the day and loved it. That said, I am very acclimated to the controls and the layout of the K-50 and am not sure that I would feel as comfortable shooting the KP as I would the K-70.

Yes I am in the US and have ordered much and many from B&H, big fan.
As to controls, every camera is different to some degree, although the K-S2 and K-70 are nearly identical. I shoot with the K-5 IIs, the K-S2, and the KP. The KP's controls are formulated for quick access to features and settings, and ease-of-use, compared to other compact models often needing to go to menus. They are an acclaimed design tour d' force similar to those on the K-1 II, yet in a compact but pro-caliber build.

I wonder which 35 and 50 you have. There is the FA 35 f/2, the DA 35 f/2.4 both sharp lenses, and there are numerous 50's. The DA 70mm LTD is a great lens- a real gem! Wonderful for portraits and much else. Edge-to-edge sharp imaging, even wide open. The KP is especially a marvel with these compact prime lenses, even with the smallest grip. But the battery grip is wonderful when needed- real pro quality here whether going small-form or larger form. With the battery grip, greatly expanded yet still in a moderately compact form for what it is- and together about the same weight as a K-3 II alone yet providing far more battery reserve. It does not have the great big handle of the ME Super's winder motor, but it does provide lots of additional gripping surface, even more if held in the vertical position.

The ME Super was my first Pentax camera. I shot with this model exclusively for some 6 years. Most often, people here are not used to handling, that is holding, a camera made with a form that was common at one time. With your background, I don't think you'd have any problem adjusting to the KP. With the type and the quality of lenses you have, that excellent quality with compactness would be a match, and that includes the results you would then get!

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-26-2020 at 11:34 PM.