Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #1

Macro Lenses.

Hello, could you recommend some Macro Lenses for the Pentax K100D / K100D Super please, i'm new to DSLR cameras and would like to take photos of insects etc. Many thanks.

09-24-2020, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For insects, I usually like to have some working distance, so I'd recommend a 100mm lens minimum for your workflow.

This lens is my current "go to" macro lens. It is fantastic.

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I used this lens for decades before it got dropped. Another fantastic lens.

SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I'll get the lens when I win the lottery. I can dream.

SMC Pentax-FA* 200mm F4 Macro ED [IF] Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

If you're looking for a longer reach than 100mm, I can recommend this non Pentax lens. There is one for sale in the Marketplace right now.

Irix 150mm F2.8 Macro 1:1 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

You can't go wrong with any of the options above. The lens you need is really based on what your workflow requires.
09-24-2020, 12:40 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best value readily obtainable 1:2 macro IMO: tamron adaptall 90mm 52B/52BB. Manual focus of course but thats usually the mode with macro anyway. Excellent iq overall, some users note a bit of sensor reflection occasionally. Typically £60-90 (UK). Plus cost of a mount. Achieve 1:1 with the matching 18F extender, generic extension tubes, 3rd party close focus filter like raynox or the 01F 2x tc.

The only cheaper one is the also 1:2 cosina made 100mm f3.5, found as a cosina, vivitar, promaster etc. Advantage of this is it's already PKA mount, or KAF autofocus mount. Rattly plastic construction belies good performance. Often comes with matching 1:1 close focus filter. But IMO the tamron is better.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 09-24-2020 at 12:47 PM.
09-24-2020, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfestone Quote
Hello, could you recommend some Macro Lenses for the Pentax K100D / K100D Super please, i'm new to DSLR cameras and would like to take photos of insects etc. Many thanks.
Macro lenses are nice because they are all good. Some are better, but it's hard to find a dog.
The recommendation for the D FA 100/2.8 macro is a very good one. It's up among the best macro lenses that are readily available.

09-24-2020, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depends very much on how much you want to spend.

A pure manual lens is cheaper.

With a 35mm or 50mm macro, you have to be pretty close to an insect, it could be disturbed.
With 100mm you are that bit further away.

A pure macro lens is always the best.

The Cosina 100mm/f3,5 (A lens and AF lens) is pretty cheap and plastic but it's good for the money.
The Tamron Adaptall SP90 is even better.

But both are 1:2 macro, the Cosina (which exists also as Vivitar and few other names) has a cheap 1:1 adapter

A really nice light 50mm macro is the SMC Pentax A50/2,8. It is 1:2 as well but it is a fantastic everyday lens as well and has the A-position:
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
With a 49mm to 52mm step-up ring and the 52mm Canon 240D close-up you have a real achromatic adapter which makes it for very little money into even more than a 1:1
but almost a 1,5:1! But then no infinity as a standard normal lens. Just scew the Canon off and then you have still 1:2 macro + a great lens!

If you need long distance to insects you could try Sigma or Tamron 70-300 macro tele lenses, they have at times 1:2 macro at 300mm, so a good distance but I don't like such compromises.

The DA-F100/2.8 WR is almost a limited, great lens, no...fantastic, but expensive.

Any longer prime macro: Too expensive for the K100D!

Then you better get a K70 and enlarge the photos.

But if 50mm is enough, go for the SMC50/2,8 macro and have fun with a great everyday lens as well.

I'd hate to do macro with a full manual lens. I think A-position is "just-must"...
09-24-2020, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PF member eaglem posts some wonderful insect images he takes with his Sigma 180mm Macro:
Summer's here - PentaxForums.com

I have the Pentax-F 100mm f2.8 Macro, and can highly recommend it.
SMC Pentax-F 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - F Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Sample - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/98359-apet-sure/albums/13106-nat...ure125655.html

For less working distance but more depth-of-field you could try its 50mm cousin:
SMC Pentax-F 50mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - F Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The current Tamron 90mm Macro is also highly rated.
Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your Macro shots.
09-24-2020, 06:08 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

In the 1:2 realm, I can confirm that the Tamron 52BB 90mm f2.5 is indeed excellent, as is the Pentax K 50mm f4.

In the 1:1 options I own, both the Sigma 50mm EX DG 50mm f2.8 and Sigma EX DG 70mm f2.8 macro lenses are excellent. Excellence all 'round!

Adding a Raynox to these lenses will extend their capabilities without compromising image quality.

09-24-2020, 06:34 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

this article might be worth the time to read:

QuoteQuote:
The Advantages of a Dedicated Macro Lens
Achieving lift-size magnification
By PF Staff in Tutorial Videos on Apr 4, 2016
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/tutorial-videos/18-55mm-kit-vs-a-dedic...#ixzz6Z0u7vTd0

remember that the Pentax 100mm F2.8 macros share the same optics

the newest ( WR ) has different shaped aperture blades

QuoteQuote:
Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review
Specifications
The lens covers the full 24x36mm format, not just APS-C. The aperture blades are rounded, delivering a smoother bokeh which is important for a macro lens. However, unlike its predecessor, it has no aperture ring.

Rounded blades

The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades.

Read more at: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

so if you will accept " experienced " lenses and you can find them you may find the F, FA, or D FA 100mm F2.8 Macros at a cheaper price

I have the D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro ( not WR ):

QuoteQuote:
Description:
This lens features a clamp and 1:1 macro magnification. Optically it is the same as the predecessor, the smc Pentax-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro, and optically also the same as the Weather Resistant successor.
Read more at: SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

FA 100mm F2.8 Macro

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro is a high-quality macro lens designed to be well above the SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F3.5 macro in image quality. It features a clamp and a focus limiter. The optics are seated that far from the front that no separate lens hood is required.

Optically this lens is identical to its F-series predecessor and the D FA-series successors.
Read more at: SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

F 100mm F2.8 Macro

QuoteQuote:
Description:
This was the first in a series of 100mm autofocus macro lenses from Pentax. The subsequent versions (FA, D FA) have the same optical formula. The optics are seated that far from the front that no separate lens hood is required.

Read more at: SMC Pentax-F 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - F Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-24-2020 at 06:39 PM.
09-24-2020, 07:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Macro lenses are nice because they are all good. Some are better, but it's hard to find a dog.
The recommendation for the D FA 100/2.8 macro is a very good one. It's up among the best macro lenses that are readily available.
Ditto. Beware of some zoom lenses that are labeled as macro, they simply close focusing. I can also recommend the current Tamron 90, which can be bought used for very reasonable prices these days, and also the manual focus Sigma 50/2.8 macro, which is 1:1. I have both of these and formerly had the D FA Pentax, which is the best. I personally don’t find autofocus necessary when shooting macro.
09-24-2020, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The sensor in your camera is about 24mm wide, 16mm high. A macro lens capable of 1:1 reproduction ratio can take a shot of a 24mm wide insect and have it fit right across the frame at its maximum. If you know your typical insect size you can figure out how big the insect will be in the shot. The DA 18-55 lens that probably came with your camera can do 1:3 ratio, say a 72mm insect. It is easier to shoot at lower magnification ratios like 1:2 or 1:3 if you are OK with that image size.

If you shop around for a long time there are some less common brands: Panagor, Elicar, Vivitar, Phoenix or older Sigma lenses that are just fine or the same as brands mentioned above. Sometimes you can save with these lenses - I found a Panagor 90mm f2.8 1:1 macro for $50 attached to a K1000, sold the camera for $50 and kept the lens. But bargains with macro lenses are harder to come by if the lens prominently displays "Macro" in its name.
09-24-2020, 08:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfestone Quote
You may want to check out the Marketplace if your looking to acquire a Macro lens!
The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses - PentaxForums.com
09-24-2020, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

If you want to get really serious with bugs, the Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2x macro is about to be released in K-mount (this month I believe).

09-25-2020, 05:07 AM   #13
Unregistered User

I understand that Irix also makes a derned-good 100mm macro lens, though Irix is all manual focus. That's if you want the cheap route.

My suggestion would be 100mm macro from Pentax as previously suggested. Too bad Tamron's stopped supporting the Pentax mount, their 90mm appears to be a terrific lens.

And I saw something on the InterNet recently about some macro lens that, rather than 1 to 1, gives 3.5 to one magnification, though I can't remember where I saw that.
09-25-2020, 05:13 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I understand that Irix also makes a derned-good 100mm macro lens, though Irix is all manual focus. That's if you want the cheap route.

My suggestion would be 100mm macro from Pentax as previously suggested. Too bad Tamron's stopped supporting the Pentax mount, their 90mm appears to be a terrific lens.

And I saw something on the InterNet recently about some macro lens that, rather than 1 to 1, gives 3.5 to one magnification, though I can't remember where I saw that.
There are a couple of Venus Laowa lenses that get to either 2x or do 2.5x-5x, maybe this one? Laowa 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro – LAOWA Camera Lenses

Tamron's 90mm macros (both the f/2.8 1:1 or the older, already recommended 52BB f/2.5 1:2) are indeed great and easily found used at reasonable prices.
09-25-2020, 05:25 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote

I guess "What do you call cheap" with regards to the Irix their lens is 150mm 1:1 WR and lists for over $500 ??

(Photo is my own copywrite Photodirector in error)

Last edited by SharkyCA; 09-25-2020 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Copywrite Disclaimer