Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Setting ISO manually

Hello folks,
Back when I got my K1, I set the ISO to be automatic with a range. Although that works well for most things that I do, I would like to be able to set it manually. I’ve checked the manual, but it’s just not clear. Your help would be appreciated.

09-29-2020, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Hello folks,
Back when I got my K1, I set the ISO to be automatic with a range. Although that works well for most things that I do, I would like to be able to set it manually. I’ve checked the manual, but it’s just not clear. Your help would be appreciated.
Can you just press the ISO button on top and set it to what you want? You'll have to be in a mode that allows manual ISO, too.
09-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello folks,
Can't you assign one of the Cn positions - say C1 - so that when it is the active one, the e-dial on the right controls ISO if you are in a mode wherein ISO can be controlled?

On my KP, menu "Button Customization - 2" has an entry "Function Dial" which allows me to control what each of "C1", "C2", and "C3" controls.
I was under the impression that this functionality was pioneered by the K-1.

Last edited by reh321; 09-29-2020 at 11:09 AM.
09-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Can't you assign one of the Cn positions - say C1 - so that when it is the active one, the e-dial on the right controls ISO if you are in a mode wherein ISO can be controlled?
There are numerous ways to change the ISO :

Use the ISO button

Use the ISO setting on the mode dial

Change the settings of the e-dials (as you suggest)

Further to this you can change the memory setting so that your ISO setting will be retained or revert when the camera is first switched on.

09-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
To add to this list: in TAv you can also influence ISO by using exposure compensation
09-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Can you just press the ISO button on top and set it to what you want? You'll have to be in a mode that allows manual ISO, too.
And, which modes are they? TAV must not be one of them.
09-29-2020, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
To add to this list: in TAv you can also influence ISO by using exposure compensation

To be accurate you can influence the ISO in most modes by using exposure compensation, depending how you set the camera up. TAv mode is a bad example to use as it's purpose is to have the ISO "float" to give you a correct exposure.

The OP is asking how to use a fixed ISO.

---------- Post added 09-29-20 at 07:24 PM ----------

TAv mode is the only mode where you cannot do that. The whole point of TAv is the ISO floats. Having a control over ISO in TAv is nonsense

09-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Use the ISO button

Use the ISO setting on the mode dial

Change the settings of the e-dials (as you suggest)

Further to this you can change the memory setting so that your ISO setting will be retained or revert when the camera is first switched on.
Hi Peter,
Should I just leave my auto setting as is? I just tried it, and I that’s exactly what I wanted. Thank you.
09-29-2020, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's pretty simple, set your camera to AV. I depress the ISO button and turn the main dial to change ISO's. (80% of the time my camera is set to 100 ISO, and if that doesn't work for some reason, I crank it up. I also set my aperture, and that's absolutely critical for controlling depth of field. The exposure is the only variable I'm willing to leave to the camera. And I only change my ISO when the exposure time is too long to create the image I want.

My final adjustment is the EV button, which is usually set to -.7 EV. But there are many situations where that must be changed. A scene with deep shadows where you want to capture detail must be shot at 0 or +1 EV, sometimes +2 for backlit details.

This is what works for me.

For me this is what gives me the most control over what most affects noise and depth of field. Two things that most affect how your final image looks. Shutter speed , shooting stills on a tripod is often irrelevant.

I use TaV only for birds in flight, when shutter speed is important to neutralize subject motion.

Last edited by normhead; 09-29-2020 at 12:12 PM.
09-29-2020, 11:31 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you, you’ve been a big help today.
09-29-2020, 11:37 AM   #11
Pentaxian

TAv gives you manual shutter speed and manual aperture, with the camera only controlling ISO. Use Manual mode if you want to manually control all 3 parameters (shutter, aperture, ISO).
09-29-2020, 11:41 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Peter,
Should I just leave my auto setting as is? I just tried it, and I that’s exactly what I wanted. Thank you.
Auto ISO on the K1 is a great feature if you want the camera to take control. In P mode it will choose a higher ISO in preference to a too wide aperture or too slow shutter speed. In Av or Tv mode it will do the same. The K1 has a great high ISO performance, but you may want to limit the auto ISO range if noise is of concern.

Personally I never use it.

---------- Post added 09-29-20 at 07:42 PM ----------

True , but you are changing the exposure too.
09-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To be accurate you can influence the ISO in most modes by using exposure compensation, depending how you set the camera up.
Well in other modes you mostly influence other parameters first when using exposure compensation and AutoISO, and ISO itself only indirectly.

TAv mode is the only mode where you cannot do that. The whole point of TAv is the ISO floats. Having a control over ISO in TAv is nonsense
I have a use for that when I have minimum or fixed requirements for aperture and shutterspeed and want to influence the automatic metering in a certain direction which is faster than switching to M and figuring out exactly what the ISO should be. Av with AutoISO would sometimes choose too long of a shutterspeed before bumping ISO (that might change now that I have a K-1, but I couldn't set it to fast or slow on the K-S2) and I guess I don't trust the camera enough to choose the aperture I want in Tv.

True , but you are changing the exposure too.
That's exactly what I want to happen, and when I'm in TAv already it's faster to tell the camera that I want the scene to be darker or lighter than switching to M and figuring out the exact ISO value

Last edited by ehrwien; 09-29-2020 at 11:52 AM.
09-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well in other modes you mostly influence other parameters first when using exposure compensation and AutoISO, and ISO itself only indirectly
If I am in Av mode with auto ISO and the camera selects 1/30 and ISO 200, changing the EC will lead to a higher ISO rather than a lower shutter speed. The camera will try to balance shutter speed versus ISO. The slower the shutter speed the more it will use ISO to get the correct exposure. It does this to avoid subject blur.
09-29-2020, 11:57 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I am in Av mode with auto ISO and the camera selects 1/30 and ISO 200, changing the EC will lead to a higher ISO rather than a lower shutter speed. The camera will try to balance shutter speed versus ISO. The slower the shutter speed the more it will use ISO to get the correct exposure.
The problem I have with this is that there are two floating parameters, and the camera might not guess exactly what my personal limits for shutter speed are in that situation. When there's enough light, I like Av with ISO 100. When shutter speed gets too low, I switch to TAv with AutoISO. When I want a different exposure in those circumstances, I use exposure compensation to offset the chosen ISO amount, instead of switching to M and setting an absolute ISO value.