Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2020, 12:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Setting in Camera Preventing me from taking a Picture??

Hello,

This has been a problem that I've had with my K-1 (it might happen with my K-3/5, but I just don't remember it happening)... and I cannot find the setting that makes this happen. Thought I would try here.

Problem:

While the camera is in AF (the physical switch on camera), the camera will not allow you to take a picture unless something in the frame is 'in-focus'. So that if it is blurry in any way, you can press the shutter button, and the camera will not respond. But if you were to manually focus until something is 'in-focus' (red-lights flash and all, if enabled), then it does allow. Sometimes however, even when (I think things are) in focus it won't take the picture. That's when it is truly annoying. And this situation also occurs sometimes with AF-lenses too, during moments where my AF can't find (or thinks it isn't in focus). If I switch the physical switch to MF, the camera is allowed to fire whenever I want, and the problem goes away.

I was just wondering what setting is stopping this? And/or if there was a way to over-ride this function... so that I can take a blurry photo, if I wanted to.

Hope this makes sense?

10-02-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

in some of the last custom menu settings, it's called 'catch-in-focus'

oh, it might also be in the first camera settings menu...
- AF with viewfinder
- 1st Frame Action in AF.C -> switch to release priority from focus priority
10-02-2020, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery
At least in the KP, you go into AF with Viewfinder setting, then AF.S Setting, then set to Release Priority.
10-02-2020, 12:39 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
I was just wondering what setting is stopping this? And/or if there was a way to over-ride this function... so that I can take a blurry photo, if I wanted to.
AF-S with focus-priority (the defaults for both settings) will produce this behavior as will enabling catch-in focus with manual focus lenses. There are entries in the K-1 user guide index for both topics.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-02-2020 at 12:44 PM. Reason: clarity
10-02-2020, 12:43 PM   #5

I don't know about the K-1 but on my K10D I set the AF button function to "cancel AF" which allows shutter release if I press the AF button with out focus confirmation lock.
10-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, go into your menu, on the K3 its C3, AF.S Setting, select 2 Release Priority. The note at the bottom will say "shutter can be released even if the subject is not in focus". Try that
10-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
Hello,

This has been a problem that I've had with my K-1 (it might happen with my K-3/5, but I just don't remember it happening)... and I cannot find the setting that makes this happen. Thought I would try here.

Problem:

While the camera is in AF (the physical switch on camera), the camera will not allow you to take a picture unless something in the frame is 'in-focus'. So that if it is blurry in any way, you can press the shutter button, and the camera will not respond. But if you were to manually focus until something is 'in-focus' (red-lights flash and all, if enabled), then it does allow. Sometimes however, even when (I think things are) in focus it won't take the picture. That's when it is truly annoying. And this situation also occurs sometimes with AF-lenses too, during moments where my AF can't find (or thinks it isn't in focus). If I switch the physical switch to MF, the camera is allowed to fire whenever I want, and the problem goes away.

Hope this makes sense?
Yes you can change that setting.

But I have to ask....why would you want to take an un-focussed picture ? I know there are plenty of artistic reasons for doing so, but in those cases you would be using manual focus to achieve your aim.

btw the setting is to change AF-S from focus priority to release priority

10-02-2020, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #8
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
but I have to ask....why would you want to take an un-focussed picture ?
The focus point thinks its outta focus, but outside of that focus point may be in focus.
Example: focus-recompose technique
10-02-2020, 01:01 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
The focus point thinks its outta focus, but outside of that focus point may be in focus.
One more vote for single-point center spot AF.

Steve
10-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm, not letting me reply to Steve. OK. I just looked on the control panel and pressed the AF mode button and neither gave me the option to change it so the shutter fires without focus lock, I only got focus modes and focus points
10-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #11
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That's how I set my AF as well.
However, I am very excited for using the single-point selectable focus point option along with the joystick on the K-New!
Selecting off-center focus points manually with the D-pad sucks.
10-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Gets my vote too all this selecting gives me a headache
10-02-2020, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Hmm, not letting me reply to Steve. OK. I just looked on the control panel and pressed the AF mode button and neither gave me the option to change it so the shutter fires without focus lock, I only got focus modes and focus points
Press Menu, select the Camera Icon....then Phase Detection AF... AF.S setting...Release Priority
10-02-2020, 03:10 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Sorry for leading you astray and then deleting!

I thought both options were available through that route, but consulting the camera behind me on the counter, I was informed I was in error. You can tell how often I change that sort of thing.

Steve
10-02-2020, 03:27 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
But focus-recompose technique relies on the focus being locked before the recompose takes place. I should know I use it all the time

If you don't lock the focus, you are not focus-recomposing.