Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2020, 01:19 AM   #1

Issues with DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR

Hi there
I recently purchased a DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR lens. I have a K5ii. However, when I put it in my camera the widest aperture I can get is f4.5. I have tried the camera in aperture priority and manual modes and TAv but it won’t go to 3.5. The lens seems to open correctly but just wondering why I can’t get it to its widest. I am in ongoing discussions with the seller from Japan who is very reasonable but my understanding is that this a pretty good lens for a beginner and so I would like to keep hold of it...if I can use it to its full potential.
Any help very much appreciated!
Thanks a lot
Ben

10-12-2020, 01:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Widest aperture depends on focal length. There is one where it is only 4.5. 3.5 you get at 18mm. Have you tried this? Apart from that, always clean the contacts on lens and mount.
10-12-2020, 02:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks ever so much: problem sorted. Apologies for what seemed like a stupid question!
Ben
10-12-2020, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BDPA77 Quote
Thanks ever so much: problem sorted. Apologies for what seemed like a stupid question!
Ben
No such thing as a stupid question the lens is really good for the price. I have mine on my K3 as we speak. You may find you get lens creep, where the lens extends when it is pointed down. When you take pictures, have a close look at them and see if the point of focus is where you wanted it to be. If it is CONSISTENTLY in front or behind, the lens may benefit from calibrating. You do this in camera and its dead easy. I have a 50-200mm that isn't highly rated but after calibration it is stellar. Have a look here

DA 18-135 WR, Show us what it can do - PentaxForums.com

You will see some wonderful images, many taken on K5s (the K5 btw is still one of the mor popular cameras on here). Pentax Forums is genuinely the most helpful photography forum there is. It is also a massive resource, giving you information on every aspect of Pentax life. There is also a huge database of lens reviews. Have a look at the single in and daily in challenges, they are a great way to learn. Also, you can post images one here and ask for feedback and we will help with composition, exposure etc. What sort of thing are you wanting to shoot? Don't worry if you find yourself flitting between styles, it took me three years to accept what my "style" actually was remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, just do a search before you ask as it may have already been answered in more detail than you will ever be able to absorb good luck, get involved in stuff and most of all, have fun.

10-12-2020, 10:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you so much: very kind of you to take the time. In the short time I have been on the Pentax Forum, I can already attest to it being the most helpful of fora. Style-wise, not too sure really. I look for interesting things (light falling in a certain way; positioning everyday objects in a different way; interesting juxtapositions such as a farmer’s spent diesel container next to some wonderful flowers in a field) and snap! Not really into landscape / animal photography per se but love people and architecture. Whilst I fully appreciate the sentiment that “street” photography does not necessarily need to be urban-based, my rural village does not offer too many opportunities for people snapping!
I will have a look at the challenges and go from there. I know that any advice / critique I receive will be constructive from people in this Forum so will start submitting shortly!
Thanks again for taking the time to help: greatly appreciated.
All the best
Ben
10-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA18-135 is a wonderful lens - a great all-rounder. Mine is pretty much glued to my K10D.

Take a look at the 'mini-challenges, games & photo stories' section - you'll find all types of photography; landscapes, pets, rivers/streams, walks in the woods, etc. Something for everyone. Oh, and welcome
10-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BDPA77 Quote
Ben
Welcome to the forum, and no apology needed! As Cerebum said! And when you look at the images in the link provided, I suggest starting with the last page (most recent) and work backward. You have an excellent camera in your K-5 II- I am sure you will be pleased with this lens on it. Its silent autofocus (AF) is very fast and sure, it has very good build quality with WR (weather resistance) construction like your camera, and it is remarkably compact for its large zoom range.

Like most zoom lenses, it is a variable-aperture type, which means the maximum aperture will change as you zoom to longer focal lengths. After about 70mm, it will be at 5.6 which will be the same story for the rest of its zoom range. A very fine-performing and useful lens.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-12-2020 at 02:07 PM.
10-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks very much. Very pleased with the lens...now I know how to use it! Going to get out soon and start snapping!

10-13-2020, 04:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If you are shooting JPEG images right out of the camera, the K-5 II does a fine job- just be sure to set up "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus. You can also increase the sharpening level itself if you wish from +1 (which is default when the camera is set to the "Bright" category) up another notch to +2 while you are at it, as with this camera will not cause unwanted effects.