Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #1

K-R doesn't turn on

Hi everyone! I bought a Pentax k-r with virtually no signs of use and a low shutter count (4.6k) the only problem with the camera was the internal clock that resets the date every time. Ive been using it for the last months with no problems but yesterday when I went to turn it on nothing happened. The viewfinder is clear. The battery charges but I cant see if it holds enough voltage to turn it on. I had searched the forums and the common recommendation is the usage of AA battery with the adapter, but it would take some time to be shipped. Had anyone encountered this problem also? Can it be bad contact of the turn on button itself?

10-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you only have one battery it would be hard to rule a bad battery out. But without another battery (or adapter with AA) you can at least check the battery contacts for any corrosion, there are three small contacts down in the bottom of the battery compartment, gently rub them with a pencil eraser. One may be a little hard to access because of the spring. Make sure you turn over any get any eraser dust out. Do this on the battery too.

It could be a bad contact in the power on switch, but I think that's unlikely.
10-12-2020, 08:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The battery may just be old. The K-r is around 10 years old by now.

See if you can find electrical contact cleaner spray. It might be useful just for the battery contacts. I have used that on my brother's K-r to fix the e-dial, just by spraying on either side of the dial. Electrical contact cleaner shouldn't damage any plastic or circuitry. If it is the power switch, you could get lucky enough and the spray will get all the way to the switch. It is not too big a deal to take off the top plate and get to the switch, but you have to remove like 12 screws which are four different types. You can get an idea of the procedure in the articles on aperture block repair: take off the bottom plate, then the back and probably the sides, then the top is only two-three screws. OK, it sounds bad.
10-13-2020, 05:52 AM   #4
Forum Member

You may have checked this already, but just make sure that the SD card door is shut and fully pushed home.

10-26-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MauroOliv Quote
Hi everyone! I bought a Pentax k-r with virtually no signs of use and a low shutter count (4.6k) the only problem with the camera was the internal clock that resets the date every time. Ive been using it for the last months with no problems but yesterday when I went to turn it on nothing happened. The viewfinder is clear. The battery charges but I can't see if it holds enough voltage to turn it on. I had searched the forums and the common recommendation is the usage of AA battery with the adapter, but it would take some time to be shipped. Had anyone encountered this problem also? Can it be bad contact of the turn on button itself?
Most likely the battery but possibly also the contacts.
Look at them and clean them with alcool.
The K-r works for sure better with Eneloops because it has the powersupply from the K-x and sometimes even makes problems with the Li-Ion supplied!
This Li-Ion is now quite old but if orig. Pentax they do last and the shuttercount is not that bad.

But remember: If a Li-Ion battery is drained to much it is dead! One cannot rescue it anymore.

The K-r might have an input for an external PS (6,5 V DC or so), I can't remember... too long time ago, the K-x and K-m didn't!
10-31-2020, 10:55 PM   #6

I had one experience that I had old K50 which only switched on with a newer battery and it’s old battery is perfectly working well still with my new K70. So I assume that changing the battery would work for you.
11-01-2020, 01:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is the "known" problem, we offer help but no more reply by the TO.

11-01-2020, 03:49 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
But remember: If a Li-Ion battery is drained to much it is dead! One cannot rescue it anymore.
this is not really true - I just rechanged / revived old Li90 by charging separate cells with not-so-clever charger - battery capacity is way lower, but it still works and charges properly now.