Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #1

Textured look through eyepiece on HDR

Hi, I just bought a K-p and am having fun experimenting. I mounted the body onto a tripod with 70-300 lens, selected U1, which is pre-set for landscape, using HDR. When I look through the eyepiece, I notice there is a textured look to the image, and the image does not come out sharp. Any ideas?

10-13-2020, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dale J Quote
Hi, I just bought a K-p and am having fun experimenting. I mounted the body onto a tripod with 70-300 lens, selected U1, which is pre-set for landscape, using HDR. When I look through the eyepiece, I notice there is a textured look to the image, and the image does not come out sharp. Any ideas?
Several questions because there are a lot of variables - are you using a 2 second delay? (or you could also use the 12 second delay) Which turns of shake reduction for tripod use, having shake reduction on while using a tripod can actually cause shake, as can your finger pressing the shutter button.

What do you mean by "textured look"? When you look through the viewfinder you are looking straight through the lens, there is a diopter above it for adjusting the view for your eyes. So you could be seeing an out of focus view which you can correct, or an aberration in the lens, which is unusual.

Have you tried using live view when on the tripod? do you get the same "textured look"

Do you know that the lens is sharp and focuses accurately? Are you using autofocus or manual? If you are using autofocus, try using manual focus in live view, push the OK button on the camera back which will magnify your view, and fine focus that way, make sure you have focus peaking activated. That way you will get the sharpest image your lens can get to test it. I would ot do this testing with HDR, at least not initially.

Is you tripod solid and sturdy? The three exposures of HDR could move a less steady tripod.

You say you are shooting landscapes, are there objects moving in the landscapes, is the wind blowing? HDR takes three images and combines them, When things move it cannot line them up.
10-14-2020, 12:53 AM   #3
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale J Quote
Through the eyepiece you do not see anything HDR, just the view to focus. If it is one of the 70-300's I am thinking of, well the textured look is a product of that lens. And of course it can be the diopter setting. The onlý two things it can be is A) the lens and B) the diopter setting. Anything else does not do anything with the view through the eyepiece. But take a look in live view , when the picture is sharp there it is the diopter setting, if it is textured as well, than it is the lens.
Hope this helps.
10-14-2020, 02:55 AM   #4

You are seeing the textured surface of the focus screen. It is more noticable when using slower lenses with a smaller maximum aperture such as consumer grade 70-300 zooms. You will not see this texture if you try live view and it does not appear in your image even when using the viewfinder.

There are a couple of reasons for images to be not sharp - focus isn't correct or shutter speed is too low allowing camera shake to blur the image. Look for posts on front/back focus or lens calibration for hints on curing the first problem. Try using a tripod to eliminate camera movement to avoid the second.

10-14-2020, 04:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for these replies. I shall investigate and experiment further. In the meantime, I am using a sturdy tripod; I have focussed the diopter; I am using a 2 second delay; I am using manual focus. Shall let you know what eventuates.
10-15-2020, 10:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Several questions because there are a lot of variables - are you using a 2 second delay? (or you could also use the 12 second delay) Which turns of shake reduction for tripod use, having shake reduction on while using a tripod can actually cause shake, as can your finger pressing the shutter button.

What do you mean by "textured look"? When you look through the viewfinder you are looking straight through the lens, there is a diopter above it for adjusting the view for your eyes. So you could be seeing an out of focus view which you can correct, or an aberration in the lens, which is unusual.

Have you tried using live view when on the tripod? do you get the same "textured look"

Do you know that the lens is sharp and focuses accurately? Are you using autofocus or manual? If you are using autofocus, try using manual focus in live view, push the OK button on the camera back which will magnify your view, and fine focus that way, make sure you have focus peaking activated. That way you will get the sharpest image your lens can get to test it. I would ot do this testing with HDR, at least not initially.

Is you tripod solid and sturdy? The three exposures of HDR could move a less steady tripod.

You say you are shooting landscapes, are there objects moving in the landscapes, is the wind blowing? HDR takes three images and combines them, When things move it cannot line them up.
Thanks Ramseybuckeye, I learnt a few things from your post eg being able to use ok button to check focus and fine-tune, also focus peaking. Wasn't aware of them. When I shoot with live view, the textured look that I get through the viewfinder doesn't seem to be there. I do use a sturdy tripod, and 2 second delay. I shall keep experimenting! thank you for your help.