Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2020, 11:56 AM   #1

Pentax zx-50 help!!!!

Hi! I’ve had this Pentax ZX-50 for a couple of months now and I keep having interruptions with my filming. Occasionally my camera stalls and the shutter release doesn’t open for a couple extra seconds and I end up losing one exposure. Any other time I use it it’s spot on. Usually this doesn’t cause me any problems (I usually just deal with losing about 1-2 exposures per roll) but today it malfunctioned much worse than it ever had before. Any time I would turn the camera on or off it would take an exposure, and same would go for any time I pressed a button. It ruined the whole roll and now I have to start over. Does anyone know a reason for this to be happening?? Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

10-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #2

The ZX/MZ series is plagued by having a plastic gear on the mirror motor which splits and slips. This is typically manifested by the mirror locking in the up position. The operation of the aperture, shutter and film advance are all inter-dependent on the timing of the mirror operation so it is not inconceivable that a partially slipping gear would cause the problems you are seeing.

If the gear is slipping the solution is to replace the gear with a metal one. See more details in this thread:

MZ5n mirror blocked, service manual? - PentaxForums.com
10-14-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like the electronics have died. If so, it's unlikely to be worth repairing even if you can find someone willing to do it.