Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2020, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Is it my imagination or can't one develop RAW files to JPG within the camera, after the event? An HDMI cable to connect the camera to a big screen would probably be helpful to get the fine tuning right
Of course, the "Digital Camera Utility" (referred to above as a cut-down SilkyPix) as supplied on the CD that came with the camera will likely do everything that is needed, assuming the RAW files can be transferred to the laptop … maybe a Wifi connection might help if a USB socket isn't available Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera

10-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

GIMP as it stands won't open raw files directly... it's an image editor, not a raw developer; but, there's the UFRaw plug-in that will read raw files and allow basic adjustments before pasting them as new images into the GIMP workspace, in much the same way Adobe Camera Raw works with Photoshop. Personally, I'd rather use a dedicated raw development tool such as Darktable, RawTherapee or one of the many commercial options, then use GIMP for further editing as required...
10-15-2020, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #18
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
GIMP as it stands won't open raw files directly... it's an image editor, not a raw developer; but, there's the UFRaw plug-in that will read raw files and allow basic adjustments before pasting them as new images into the GIMP workspace, in much the same way Adobe Camera Raw works with Photoshop. Personally, I'd rather use a dedicated raw development tool such as Darktable, RawTherapee or one of the many commercial options, then use GIMP for further editing as required...
I think that UFRaw has been passed over by Gimp for Darktable in the plugin type setup I describe above. I am not sure if UFRaw is still an option in Gimp 2.10. A goggle of it shows predominately old posts for 8bit Gimp. Last time I tried UFRaw Darktable was vastly superior.
10-15-2020, 04:27 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Is it my imagination or can't one develop RAW files to JPG within the camera, after the event?
Yes you can.

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
An HDMI cable to connect the camera to a big screen would probably be helpful to get the fine tuning right
It would be an improvement on looking at the rear LCD screen for sure. But seriously, if one wants to process raw files get a proper program and do it directly on your computer.

10-15-2020, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I think that UFRaw has been passed over by Gimp for Darktable in the plugin type setup I describe above. I am not sure if UFRaw is still an option in Gimp 2.10. A goggle of it shows predominately old posts for 8bit Gimp. Last time I tried UFRaw Darktable was vastly superior.
Thanks for that. It's fair to say I'm less than up-to-date on GIMP... I still use v2.8 on my old HP ENVY running Mint, but - whilst I have 2.10 loaded on my Windows machine - I haven't used it much and do virtually all of my image processing in Darktable or RawTherapee. I must look into GIMP for Darktable... that sounds interesting and useful
10-15-2020, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #21
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for that. It's fair to say I'm less than up-to-date on GIMP... I still use v2.8 on my old HP ENVY running Mint, but - whilst I have 2.10 loaded on my Windows machine - I haven't used it much and do virtually all of my image processing in Darktable or RawTherapee. I must look into GIMP for Darktable... that sounds interesting and useful
In the Darktable part of the process I am sort of doing what would be the equivalent of incamera jpg settings. But plenty left to do in Gimp.
10-18-2020, 03:04 AM   #22

Raw image download

There is a Raw Image Extension for Windows 10 available free from microsoft. Download it, transfer your raw images from the card and they appear in "pictures" folder as .PEF files. I assume you can move them on from there to a photo processing program.

10-19-2020, 06:17 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I would like to say thank you to all the members who have taken time to post a reply to my question.
I forgot to say that I have only had my DSLR since March this year, and aged 77 I must say that at I am not totally computer literate.
I am working my way thro' the various sugestions, please bear with me.
Am I correct in thinking that raw images/files cannot be down loaded directly to my laptop?
As sugested by a member I have managed to find the camera facility to develop raw images into jpeg images and save them as new files, I aim to try this out today.

---------- Post added 19-10-20 at 06:40 AM ----------

I have attempted to develop the RAW images in my camera as per my operating manual.
1) Select RAW (with a downpointing arrow) in the playback mode palette. Guess what, no image of 1) displayed

What I have got shown on my monitor screen are the following :- 1) Slideshow 2) Protect all images 3) Delete all images 4) Quick Zoom 5) Playback Sound Volume 6) LCD Display

What's to do now ???
10-19-2020, 06:48 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by triton150 Quote
I would like to say thank you to all the members who have taken time to post a reply to my question.
I forgot to say that I have only had my DSLR since March this year, and aged 77 I must say that at I am not totally computer literate.
I am working my way thro' the various sugestions, please bear with me.
Am I correct in thinking that raw images/files cannot be down loaded directly to my laptop?
As sugested by a member I have managed to find the camera facility to develop raw images into jpeg images and save them as new files, I aim to try this out today.

---------- Post added 19-10-20 at 06:40 AM ----------

I have attempted to develop the RAW images in my camera as per my operating manual.

1) Select RAW (with a downpointing arrow) in the playback mode palette. Guess what, no image of 1) displayed

What I have got shown on my monitor screen are the following :- 1) Slideshow 2) Protect all images 3) Delete all images 4) Quick Zoom 5) Playback Sound Volume 6) LCD Display

What's to do now ???
I think you need to select the image you want to "develop" first.

10-19-2020, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You should be able to download any file to your laptop assuming you have a suitable card-reader to plug into the laptop, or a cord that will link the camera directly to the laptop. Raw files in this instance are no different to any other files. Even if the laptop cannot display the file it will still be there where you placed it.
10-19-2020, 07:52 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Hope you don't mind suggestions from England - but my dad's family came from Wales.

When I process RAW files (I use DNG - stands for Digital NeGative), it is basically a multi-stage process. First, I create a folder on my hard drive for the images (you may already have one). Then, I take the SD card from my K10 or K20, set write-protect (to prevent Windows dumping a hidden file on the card, and thus rendering it unreadable by the camera) and put it in the card reader in my laptop, as suggested by others. In Explorer, I copy the images I require from the card, then paste them into the folder created above. This is to make sure that the originals are never corrupted.

Once the images are on my hard drive, I eject the SD card, remove WP and insert it back in the camera, ready for next time. To look at the images in the folder, I use any of the following free image 'editors' - IrfanView, XnView or FastStone. Each have their quirks, as in all software. You may like to work on backup copies of the images, just in case. Once I have the images looking as I want them, I save them as TIFF files at the original size, as JPGs can be easily created from these files, and the originals are still available if you wish to try a different approach to their 'enhancement'.

Sorry if this is a little on the basic side for you, but I hope it helps somewhat.
10-19-2020, 12:45 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Hi, I have had my K-70 for six months now and after reading about jpeg and RAW I decided to give RAW a try.
Went to the North Wales coast to photograph the setting sun. Good photo's. the problem that I have is that I can't dowload any of the photo's to my laptop to enable me to carry out any post editing. I am trying to use 'gimp'
PS My wife's photo's taken with a Lumix fz1000 set to jpeg have dowloaded great.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
I see in another post you made that "at the age of 77" you are not a computer whiz and probably just want to enjoy your camera! I too have a K70 and normally just set it up to shoot "jpeg" there is a setting to shoot both at the same time "raw & jpg" but unless you want to spend hours learning Post Processing I suggest just shooting jpeg and an easy to use photo editing/catalog program like that from Cyberlink,in the meantime enjoy your camera!

Last edited by SharkyCA; 10-19-2020 at 12:52 PM.
10-19-2020, 12:56 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Here is the link to Cyberlink if you choose to check it out, they have stand alone as well as subscription! Video & Photo Editing Software & Apps, Media Player | CyberLink
11-02-2020, 06:04 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Hi, I have had my K-70 for six months now and after reading about jpeg and RAW I decided to give RAW a try.
Went to the North Wales coast to photograph the setting sun. Good photo's. the problem that I have is that I can't dowload any of the photo's to my laptop to enable me to carry out any post editing. I am trying to use 'gimp'
PS My wife's photo's taken with a Lumix fz1000 set to jpeg have dowloaded great.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Download FastStone, works great, fast and easy, great results.
11-02-2020, 06:11 AM   #30
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Download FastStone, works great, fast and easy, great results.
Another vote here for FastStone.
One note though. By default it displays the embedded jpeg of the RAW file. You need to configure it in the settings to render the RAW image.