Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2020, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
This is an important point.

I am not intending to be pedantic, but all raw files need editing. They need to be opened in a raw converter which usually provides some "input" sharpening. Then you either apply a pre-set profile or just move the sliders yourself to get the colour/brightness/contrast etc that you want. Then you need to save the image as a picture file, most commonly a JPEG. You also need to apply some "output" sharpening to the image.

The image you see on your cameras screen after you have taken a raw picture is not strictly speaking, the raw image. It is a JPEG that the camera has produced from the raw file sometimes refered to as the JPEG preview. Many picture viewing programs will now also appear to let you view a raw file, but all they are displaying is the preview JPEG. Only a raw converter will actually show you the raw "image", and you will find that without any inputs from the converter, raw files are generally dull un-sharp images. They need processing.
Very informative post! Thank you for the information!

11-02-2020, 08:11 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Could also try UFRAW. didn't see that mentioned any where here.
11-04-2020, 03:47 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I thank all the Members who have made the effort and taken time to reply to my query, very helpfull and I now know a lot more about RAW imaging.
11-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by triton150 Quote
Hi, I have had my K-70 for six months now and after reading about jpeg and RAW I decided to give RAW a try.
Went to the North Wales coast to photograph the setting sun. Good photo's. the problem that I have is that I can't dowload any of the photo's to my laptop to enable me to carry out any post editing. I am trying to use 'gimp'
PS My wife's photo's taken with a Lumix fz1000 set to jpeg have dowloaded great.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
I also have a K-70 and shoot RAW almost exclusively. I have no problem downloading my photos to my laptop with Windows 10 buy removing the SD card and inserting it into the reader slot of the laptop. I also have Irfanview for reviewing photos as well as Photoshop Elements 2019 for post processing. Iranview is freeware but PSE is a charge. I find it very efficient for pp.

11-07-2020, 06:44 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
OK I’m an old farte also. What I would tell you is shoot both raw and jpeg.

You get the instant corrected image and the ability to “ play with and tune” your images. The editor that comes with your camera is the easiest starting spot.
You’re never to olde to learn new tricks!

Hang up and DRIVE!
11-08-2020, 05:59 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always take the sd card out of the camera and copy them to my Windows 10 machine with usb card reader, raw and jpeg. No problems.