Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2020, 06:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RAW Images

Hi, I have had my K-70 for six months now and after reading about jpeg and RAW I decided to give RAW a try.
Went to the North Wales coast to photograph the setting sun. Good photo's. the problem that I have is that I can't dowload any of the photo's to my laptop to enable me to carry out any post editing. I am trying to use 'gimp'
PS My wife's photo's taken with a Lumix fz1000 set to jpeg have dowloaded great.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

10-15-2020, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by triton150 Quote
Hi, I have had my K-70 for six months now and after reading about jpeg and RAW I decided to give RAW a try.

Went to the North Wales coast to photograph the setting sun. Good photo's. the problem that I have is that I can't dowload any of the photo's to my laptop to enable me to carry out any post editing. I am trying to use 'gimp'

PS My wife's photo's taken with a Lumix fz1000 set to jpeg have dowloaded great.

No idea why Gimp doesn't work but you could take the memory card out of the camera and use the card reader of your laptop.

10-15-2020, 06:30 AM - 2 Likes   #3

Are you downloading directly from the camera, using the computer's default "download your photos" program?
Try going info your file browser (Explorer, if you're using Windows), and navigate to the camera\DCIM folder and copy or move the files that way. The default "photo-getter" program doesn't recognize RAW files, since they technically aren't image files. (They're data files.)
For RAW files, my preference is to remove the card from the camera and use a card reader to copy the files. I will delete the files off of the card once I have confirmed I haven't got any corrupted files.

Kirk B.
10-15-2020, 07:55 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crazy4oldcars Quote
The default "photo-getter" program doesn't recognize RAW files, since they technically aren't image files. (They're data files.)
This is an important point.

to enable me to carry out any post editing
I am not intending to be pedantic, but all raw files need editing. They need to be opened in a raw converter which usually provides some "input" sharpening. Then you either apply a pre-set profile or just move the sliders yourself to get the colour/brightness/contrast etc that you want. Then you need to save the image as a picture file, most commonly a JPEG. You also need to apply some "output" sharpening to the image.

The image you see on your cameras screen after you have taken a raw picture is not strictly speaking, the raw image. It is a JPEG that the camera has produced from the raw file sometimes refered to as the JPEG preview. Many picture viewing programs will now also appear to let you view a raw file, but all they are displaying is the preview JPEG. Only a raw converter will actually show you the raw "image", and you will find that without any inputs from the converter, raw files are generally dull un-sharp images. They need processing.

10-15-2020, 07:55 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GIMP does not have the ability to open (develop) raw files. I believe there is a way using some 3rd party program and some scripting but that is a pain. If you want to stick with open source software and are looking for a raw development tool that is not too difficult there is Darktable which offers a lot of options like Adobe Lightroom has. It isn't as user friendly but it does have more knobs to play with. Another option is to use RawTherapee as your raw development tool. Personally of the 2 I like RawTherapee but it has a much steeper learning curve.

Basically you would develop (in RawTherapee or Darktable) playing with color balance, contrast, saturation, noise reduction, etc. and then you export to a regular raster image (16 bit tiff is the best) and then open and continue editing that 16 bit tiff in GIMP.

Last edited by MossyRocks; 10-15-2020 at 07:56 AM. Reason: typos
10-15-2020, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crazy4oldcars Quote
Are you downloading directly from the camera, using the computer's default "download your photos" program?
Try going info your file browser (Explorer, if you're using Windows), and navigate to the camera\DCIM folder and copy or move the files that way. The default "photo-getter" program doesn't recognize RAW files, since they technically aren't image files. (They're data files.)
For RAW files, my preference is to remove the card from the camera and use a card reader to copy the files. I will delete the files off of the card once I have confirmed I haven't got any corrupted files.

Kirk B.
That's the way I do it.
10-15-2020, 08:14 AM   #7

A further comment on the differences between RawTherapee and Gimp.
Gimp is geared more towards image creation and editing, i.e. replacing background, red-eye correction, etc; whereas RT is more of an image developing tool, similar to taking negatives into a darkroom and coming out with images. It changes characteristics of the image, but not the image itself, other than cropping.

Kirk B.

10-15-2020, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Just a heads up on this, there are a lot of alternatives available for the "raw" files but did you think of using the software that came with the camera? It is a less functional version of "Silkypix" but will read the Pentax Raw files and can convert them to Jpg's! Download here:
Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
10-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

rawtherapee: rawtherapee.com
ART: agriggio / ART / wiki / Home ? Bitbucket
darktable: darktable.org
10-15-2020, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Triton 150. You need to clarify whether your computer can't see your files/ card / camera or whether you have no software to open the image files.
10-15-2020, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
or whether you have no software to open the image files.
The point is he is trying to download and open raw files, not image files.
10-15-2020, 02:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Alternative RAW viewers (all free !) are IrfanView, FastStone and XnView - all of which have various levels of PP included, depending on what you want to do once you have copied the images to your laptop.
10-15-2020, 03:11 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The point is he is trying to download and open raw files, not image files.
If your PC has the proper codec's the "raw" files will be interpreted as "image" files

PENTAX RAW codec software for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
10-15-2020, 03:30 PM   #14
Pentaxian

This seems to address the issue with GIMP.
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/2083
It seems to imply that if rawtherapee is installed then GIMP will be able to open DNG files.

10-15-2020, 03:40 PM   #15
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
This seems to address the issue with GIMP.
GIMP cannot open DNG format files as it cannot find installed RawTherapee 5.4 (#2083) · Issues · GNOME / GIMP · GitLab
It seems to imply that if rawtherapee is installed then GIMP will be able to open DNG files.
Even better if Darkatable is installed, when a raw file is "open with Gimp" then the file is opened in Darktable and when Darktable is closed it exports to Gimp. A very elegant plugin type setup.