Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2020, 01:39 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
if you want to use EC on the K-1 with an M lens you have to commit the EC entry (+/- button plus back dial adjustment for EC) using the green button.
No. You need to make sure you have exited the EC (+/-) setting by pressing the EC (+/-) button again after you have made your selection with the rear wheel, before you press the green button to meter. Failure to exit will result in the green button re-setting the EC to zero.

Alternatively use the function and setting dials to adjust EC. The green button has no function with these.

10-21-2020, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So what you found in the end is, that if you want to use EC on the K-1 with an M lens you have to commit the EC entry (+/- button plus back dial adjustment for EC) using the green button. Ok, this I didn't know until now.
It is hidden knowledge passed down to worthy adepts since the times of the ancient origin of the K-3 and possibly before.

Steve
10-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
No. You need to make sure you have exited the EC (+/-) setting by pressing the EC (+/-) button again after you have made your selection with the rear wheel, before you press the green button to meter. Failure to exit will result in the green button re-setting the EC to zero.

Alternatively use the function and setting dials to adjust EC. The green button has no function with these.
At least for me, if I press and hold the EC(+-) button and make a change, then release the button, the mode switches out of EC mode. If you press and release without making a change, the camera stays in EC mode.
10-21-2020, 04:02 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote
At least for me, if I press and hold the EC(+-) button and make a change, then release the button, the mode switches out of EC mode. If you press and release without making a change, the camera stays in EC mode.
Useful to know.

10-22-2020, 06:01 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's funny how difficult it is to describe exactly what we are doing!

I use both methods to change EC:

a) press +/- ... dial ... release +/- and
b) press and release +/- ... dial ... press and release +/-

Mostly I'm not thinking about which method I use - it's just "Muscle Knowledge".

Now the main point.

Usualy I work the following way with K-1, M Exposure Program and M lens:

1) set aperture
2) stop down / meter using green button
3) estimate EC I'd need
4) dial in (front wheel) the EC value by de- or increasing exposure time
5) trigger the shot

Since I already have measured exposure time from step 2) I don't need a second green button press for the shot!

Now I learnt it's possible to use EC, but then I have to commit the set EC by a second Green button press. And as long as we do not change the EC value that is stored in a variable, it is added to green button stop down metering. The workflow now looks that way:

1) set aperture
3) estimate EC I'd need
4) dial in the EC value using back wheel
5) commit EC using green button - includes another stop down metering but adds EC value to the againn measured exposure
6) trigger the shot
7) check EC value if still needed and change it if necessary (don't forget that!)

Good to know that it works this way.
10-22-2020, 07:08 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

1) set aperture
3) estimate EC I'd need
4) dial in (front wheel) the EC value by de- or increasing exposure time
5) trigger the shot
Yep, that is how it is traditionally done.

Now I learnt it's possible to use EC, but then I have to commit the set EC by a second Green button press.
Nope...All you need to do is set the EC before pressing the green button. This approach is favored by those that use EC to offset inaccurate metering at some apertures with stop-down metering.

Steve
10-22-2020, 08:03 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is the way I work too. As Steve notes some lenses and apertures can lead to under/over exposure and so I can see a use for EC if using those. But don't think I have ever done so. Stop-down metering and examining the histogram works best for me.
10-22-2020, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@stevebrot & @pschlute ... thanks for being patient with me.

Now I fiddled around with it some minutes and actually start to like it a little bit.

10-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@stevebrot & @pschlute ... thanks for being patient with me.

Now I fiddled around with it some minutes and actually start to like it a little bit.
That is why this is the best Pentax forum. We all wish to help.

Sometimes we learn too. I certainly have during this thread