Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2020, 10:44 PM   #1

K-1 Exposure Metering Help

Hi All,

I've been a K-70 user up until it was knocked over on a job last week. While its fate is being decided by the LCS, I've rented a K-1 with a 15mm Laowa shift lens. I've poked around in the settings, however, I can't seem to find a way to change any EV settings in manual mode. Any help is very much appreciated. If I attach an AF lens, I can adjust the exposure in ISO mode, but nothing with the Laowa.

I assume I'm missing something obvious, but I'm pulling out hair.

Thanks!

10-20-2020, 11:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the shift lens have an "A" setting on the aperture ring? I suspect by its very nature (with the aperture located in front of the shift mechanism) that is not possible, so it probably needs to be used in full manual mode with stop down metering.
10-21-2020, 03:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mwr6348 Quote
I assume I'm missing something obvious, but I'm pulling out hair.
Is this the lens ? Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f/4 Macro Lens for Pentax K VE1540P B&H

If so you need to use the aperture ring on the lens to set your required f stop. Then press green button for the camera to meter and select a shutter speed. ISO is manual. Use the histogram to determine if the exposure is to your liking and change shutter speed/ISO/aperture if you wish to change.

You can only use Manual exposure mode or Av mode. But in Av mode the lens will always be wide open, so best stick to Manual.

Edit...I do not have any experience of the lens in question, but if it indeed does stop down in real time then Av mode should work too, like an M42 lens.

Last edited by pschlute; 10-21-2020 at 09:02 AM.
10-21-2020, 06:16 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you use ev compensation in manual mode? I can't recall.

10-21-2020, 06:38 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Can you use ev compensation in manual mode? I can't recall.
On the K1 yes you can, but I don't think this is what the OP is asking.

OP....please correct me if I am wrong
10-21-2020, 08:26 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was unaware that Venus Optics made a shift lens, but if it is similar to other shift lenses, it makes things rather complicated in that:
  • Its aperture cannot be controlled by the camera
  • Its aperture mechanism requires manual stop-down prior to metering and/or exposure
As a result, you get no automated exposure modes with operation similar to using an adapted vintage M42 lens with fully manual or preset aperture mechanism. A full explanation and suggestions for usage would take longer than I have this morning. The gist is:
  • If you use TTL metering, do so with the lens unshifted
  • You can use green button metering in M mode (I suggest live view for best accuracy)
  • You can also use Av mode while manually stopping down. The camera will set to an appropriate shutter speed. Again, live view will be more accurate.
Good luck!

Steve
10-21-2020, 08:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the K-1 in M mode you can't use EV (exposure compensation) or I should better say you can change EV but without any effect.

You simply have to go up or down with exposure time.

If you use an A lens (A, FA, DFA), you can see the effect of this up or down on the display and in the histogram. If you go up and down using EV you won't recognise any effect.

If you use an M lens like a M1.7/50 you even don't see an effect on the display when going up or down with exposure time.

Funny thing is that the K-5 behaves different. It simulates up and down for an M lens on the display when using exposure compensation.

10-21-2020, 08:37 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
On the K-1 in M mode you can't use EV (exposure compensation) or I should better say you can change EV but without any effect.
EC should work in M mode.

As for lens type...OP says it is a shift lens. Those almost always have preset or fully manual apertures.

Steve
10-21-2020, 09:04 AM   #9
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems unlikely and you say nothing about flashing error message, but is "use of aperture ring" enabled?
10-21-2020, 09:13 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is not correct. Whatever lens you use (even M or K lenses) EC will have an effect with the K1 in Manual mode. Dial in +5 EC and press the green button or use the DOF preview lever method to centre the exposure meter, and you will have an overexposed shot by 5 stops.
10-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
That is not correct. Whatever lens you use (even M or K lenses) EC will have an effect with the K1 in Manual mode. Dial in +5 EC and press the green button or use the DOF preview lever method to centre the exposure meter, and you will have an overexposed shot by 5 stops.
Now that you said I'm not correct, I just tried it instantly again.

Result from a few minutes ago:

K-1 and M1.7/50, M Exposure Mode - Green button + 5 EV comp delivers the same image as green button without EV comp.

Believe it or not.

If I reduce Exposure Time I get an underexposed image, if I put 5 stops on top I get it overexposed. That's how it should work.

So maybe our K-1's are different? Or there is a parameter that makes it work this or that way?!

How knows. I just reported how my K-1 behaves.

The important thing is that everyone knows his own kit, so that it works how he/she expects. Testing by ourselves is essential and helps to learn.
10-21-2020, 11:47 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now that you said I'm not correct, I just tried it instantly again.

Result from a few minutes ago:

K-1 and M1.7/50, M Exposure Mode - Green button + 5 EV comp delivers the same image as green button without EV comp.

Believe it or not.

If I reduce Exposure Time I get an underexposed image, if I put 5 stops on top I get it overexposed. That's how it should work.

So maybe our K-1's are different? Or there is a parameter that makes it work this or that way?!

How knows. I just reported how my K-1 behaves.

The important thing is that everyone knows his own kit, so that it works how he/she expects. Testing by ourselves is essential and helps to learn.
Make sure you do not have auto EV compensation turned on. I too tried the K1 with a M series lens. Green button gives 1/250. Change EC compensation to +5 and green button gives me 1/10

What firmware are you on ?
10-21-2020, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

auto EV compensation
Checked it - Auto EV compensation is Off (Menu C-1.4).
10-21-2020, 12:22 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Or there is a parameter that makes it work this or that way?!
I think I may have the answer.

If you select EC using the button on the top of camera (and rear wheel to set) the green button has a function to return the EC to zero. So you need to press EC button.....turn wheel....press EC button again to come out of EC mode.....press green button to meter.

Funnily enough, if you use the top dials (function and setting) instead of the EC button to set your EC setting, the green button has no re-set to zero function.

Last edited by pschlute; 10-21-2020 at 12:38 PM.
10-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I may have the answer.

If you select EC using the button on the top of camera (and rear wheel to set) the green button has a function to return the EC to zero. So you need to press EC button.....turn wheel....press EC button again to come out of EC mode.....press green button to meter.

Funnily enough, if you use the top dials (function and setting) instead of the EC button to set your EC setting, the green button has no re-set to zero function.
So what you found in the end is, that if you want to use EC on the K-1 with an M lens you have to commit the EC entry (+/- button plus back dial adjustment for EC) using the green button. Ok, this I didn't know until now. Interesting, thanks! - Tried it and learned something.