Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2020, 10:55 PM   #1

P30 advancing and winding problems

Hi,
I own a p30 and have successfully been using the camera for 2 rolls of film, I went to replace the film with a new one and it won’t advance to continue shooting.
I have tried everything I could possibly think of including replacing batteries and buying a new pack of film. The meter shows on my screen so I know it’s working. Any suggestions as to why my camera won’t advance?

10-21-2020, 01:53 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
A little more info might be helpful. Has the film advance lever locked, or is it moving without advancing the film?

PS. Welcome to the forums.
10-21-2020, 03:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
It’s moving about a third and won’t go further even with pressure or force but does not lock
10-21-2020, 04:09 AM   #4
Closed Account

The 1st third of the movement doesn't move the film, but is there to allow quicker shooting. It allows your thumb to stay in position to wind the film quickly.
The lever advance stops when the film has moved the correct amount, and won't go any further. Please be careful not to force it.
Did the film advance at all when you put the new roll in, or did it lock up before the counter started?

Attached Images

10-21-2020, 04:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
I understand how the lever works as i have had no troubles in the past.
When loading the new film and attempting to advance to lock film in place it wasn’t going the full round only about 1/3 or just over and stopping.
10-21-2020, 04:50 AM   #6
Closed Account

I'll move this thread over to the film SLR forum to see if you can get more help. Good luck.
10-21-2020, 09:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have had a problem with a Super Program before where it locked up like that; needed a repair I guess; at the time I just got a new one. Search on the forum to see if you can find anything about it for the Super Program, it may be the same issue.

10-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I have had a problem with a Super Program before where it locked up like that; needed a repair I guess; at the time I just got a new one. Search on the forum to see if you can find anything about it for the Super Program, it may be the same issue.
Yeah I had a similar issue with a KX of mine. The film take-up spool needed replacing, a trip to Eric was necessary.

Phil.
10-24-2020, 05:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by court_t35 Quote
I understand how the lever works as i have had no troubles in the past.
When loading the new film and attempting to advance to lock film in place it wasn’t going the full round only about 1/3 or just over and stopping.
You can check this - http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/p30_service.pdf

Password is Pentax
10-30-2020, 07:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Apparently there's elements in the winder mechanism that get stuck and don't reset properly after you press the shutter button. Usually the problem is that it just keeps winding non-stop, but I guess it can also not wind at all.

Not sure if the fix for the continuous winding will help, but there's a thread from last year - with pictures - that shows that a tiny drop of oil well applied to a certain spot can make the mechanism start working all the way again. It's worked for a few people, so maybe it's worth a try.

Here's the thread: P30t keeps winding on... - PentaxForums.com